Jump to content
  • Welcome!

    Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

    Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

    Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

     

Will Jaycee Horn wear Cam's #1?


Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, OldhamA said:

He certainly defined the inconsistent decade we had...

 

13 hours ago, OldhamA said:

And likewise you can tell some folks revere a guy that doesn't deserve to be spoken about in such hushed tones.

Two posts within minutes just to say he is overrated in a topic about the Panthers new cornerback. No one said anything about hushed tones just be appreciative of the good times of that era and live life less bitter my guy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Jersey #s that should be off limits (in no particular order):

59

58

89

1

Debatable:

88

90

69

Other players have already worn 90 & 69 for us so they are fair game. But yes no one should get 89, 59 and 1. Before Cam the Panthers said they wanted to keep #1 for fans or something like that, it was only after Cam couldn't get #2 from some guy that they went with #1 since he was the #1 pick in the draft.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Some folks put way too much stock into a number, as if it somehow represents the player. 

Personally I don't think ANY number should be retired, because what is important is the MAN...not the number he wore! That number passing to another person IN NO WAY minimizes the impact, love or effect that player had for the team.  
 

Same Mills being an exception as he literally died for the team (coaching while fighting cancer). Cam came in and was expected to be a shining star. The fact he was for at least a few seasons is not spectacular considering again...he came in gifted and what we saw of him was expected.  

Same for Luke. We knew he was a star from day one. The fact he played lights out is a given. 

Awarding players with retired numbers simply because they lived up to expectations is like rewarding your kids for simply doing their homework or brushing their teeth. We aren't supposed to reward people for doing the normal things, but rather the extra-ordinary. 

What more honors does Cam really need...and would he even care? I gonna suggest Cam is pretty happy in his life with his family, career, philanthropy, charities...etc. Us retiring his number ( the team that cut him) likely doesn't even matter to him. 

  • Pie 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry it isnt Cams #1. It is the Panthers #1.  There are a very few numbers that shouldn't be used again #1 isnt one of them. 

  • Pie 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Who cares? If the number isn't retired (like #51) it's fair game.  Sure, it's a courtesy to dissuade new players from wearing a jersey of a marquee player that has recently left the team, but that should only be a season or two.  After that, why not?  If the organization thought highly enough of the player's contributions, they would retire the number.  If someone wants to wear #89 right now, fine.  Smitty has been gone for several years now.  If Smitty gets into the HOF, then it would anticipated his number will get retired and thus #89 would be off limits.

  • Pie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Ready 2 Win said:

Some folks put way too much stock into a number, as if it somehow represents the player. 

Personally I don't think ANY number should be retired, because what is important is the MAN...not the number he wore! That number passing to another person IN NO WAY minimizes the impact, love or effect that player had for the team.  
 

Same Mills being an exception as he literally died for the team (coaching while fighting cancer). Cam came in and was expected to be a shining star. The fact he was for at least a few seasons is not spectacular considering again...he came in gifted and what we saw of him was expected.  

Same for Luke. We knew he was a star from day one. The fact he played lights out is a given. 

Awarding players with retired numbers simply because they lived up to expectations is like rewarding your kids for simply doing their homework or brushing their teeth. We aren't supposed to reward people for doing the normal things, but rather the extra-ordinary. 

What more honors does Cam really need...and would he even care? I gonna suggest Cam is pretty happy in his life with his family, career, philanthropy, charities...etc. Us retiring his number ( the team that cut him) likely doesn't even matter to him. 

Honestly by your metric 58 should be retired. TD came in to this team as a Safety, converted to LB, tore his ACL THREE times, came back better than ever, Went to the pro bowl, became a First team All Pro, won the Walter Payton man of the year award, and has become a community staple.

He also dislocated his finger and popped it back into place mid play to tackle beast mode and played in the super bowl with a broken arm. 

TD Represents the mantra "Keep Pounding" More than anyone that has worn the jersey since Sam Mills. 

I personally want his jersey retired more than 89, 1, or 59. 

  • Beer 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Who cares? If the number isn't retired (like #51) it's fair game.  Sure, it's a courtesy to dissuade new players from wearing a jersey of a marquee player that has recently left the team, but that should only be a season or two.  After that, why not?  If the organization thought highly enough of the player's contributions, they would retire the number.  If someone wants to wear #89 right now, fine.  Smitty has been gone for several years now.  If Smitty gets into the HOF, then it would anticipated his number will get retired and thus #89 would be off limits.

This. Wait until a career is done and HoF stuff comes around before you decide to retire a number. It won't tarnish Cam's legacy by letting someone else wear #1 for now. If THAT guy balls out? You retire the number for both men (it's been done).

I'm glad Cam made some of your personal lives better, but he's not some untouchable god. He's just a dude who gave the organization some great years. The only ones that will get hurt/angry by someone else wearing #1 (not "Cam's number") are the guys who still have Cam avatars.

Edited by Brooklyn 3.0
  • Pie 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaycee_Horn
Someone updated Wiki saying he is number 24 also. I’d lean towards that between his tweet and liking Kobe.

that's fire, I'm glad he went with 24.

another future star to dawn #24 and play CB for the Panthers?

Ricky Manning Jr

Josh Norman

James Bradberry

Jaycee Horn

  • Pie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Honestly by your metric 58 should be retired. TD came in to this team as a Safety, converted to LB, tore his ACL THREE times, came back better than ever, Went to the pro bowl, became a First team All Pro, won the Walter Payton man of the year award, and has become a community staple.

He also dislocated his finger and popped it back into place mid play to tackle beast mode and played in the super bowl with a broken arm. 

TD Represents the mantra "Keep Pounding" More than anyone that has worn the jersey since Sam Mills. 

I personally want his jersey retired more than 89, 1, or 59. 

Honestly I will give you that. After Mills, there is no othert player more boss than TD. 

However he did leave the team. I can't get down with retiring a number on OUR team for a player than played their last games for another team. Cam, Smitty in the same boat.  

But i would fill the ballot box in a vote to have a TD stature out front the stadium! To me that honors the man far more and some random jersey number.

 

  • Pie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, WS Pantherfan said:

If he wants #1 he should get it. Why are we still talking about Cam Newton when he hasn't been on the team for over a season?

I also don't believe Cam did enough to earn his jersey number being retired. He was very good for us and had some amazing seasons especially in 2015 but to act like its unbelievable for somebody else to wear #1 is ridiculous.  

lmao he's the biggest star and only league MVP this team has ever had.

It's a small and harmless thanks for a guy who made that number iconic for the franchise. If it's just a number there's 98 others Horn can forge his own legacy on.

  • Pie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, MechaZain said:

lmao he's the biggest star and only league MVP this team has ever had.

It's a small and harmless thanks for a guy who made that number iconic for the franchise. If it's just a number there's 98 others Horn can forge his own legacy on.

I think you mean it's a small and harmless thanks for his fans. Cam couldn't care less if his jersey gets retired at BoA.

For the record I think only TD and Smitty deserve retired jerseys.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...