• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Blew the Offseason?

travisura

Sam Darnold vs the NFC

5-5 Record

61.36% Completions on 308 passes.

16 Touchdowns to 6 Interceptions

2 Rushing Touchdowns to 1 Fumble Lost

We can work with this. The overwhelming majority of his bad numbers come from playing against the Patriots and Dolphins. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

7 minutes ago, top dawg said:

We won't know whether choosing Darnold over Fields was a big blunder or successful shrewd strategy until many months from now.  That's the simple truth of the matter.

It was a 2 for 1 deal. They felt with Darnold + Horn they were better off than just Justin Fields. 

• Pie 4

1 hour ago, shaqattaq said:

Playing Devil's advocate, B/R is all opinion pieces, and other than the last paragraph, he didn't lie. We did cut Teddy, we did trade for a a QB that has not been good so far, and we did pass on QB and LT in the first round. But completely ignoring the weapons we got for Sam and the fact that our line is significantly improved from last season makes this guy look like an idiot. Plus it was glaringly obvious to anyone who watched a game last season that Teddy was not getting it done.

I personally love the Horn pick, but passing on Slater and Fields were hard pills to swallow for a huge portion of the fanbase. If Christianson and Darnold don't work out, there are going to be a lot of I told you so's. 

Its not that the article is loaded with lies and totally made up non-sense.  Its that the observations are so superficial and insufficiently fleshed out.  

Stated Teddy is a stop gap. Stop gap to what? Do stop gaps have strong SB winning traditions? Not a single mention of how that was a Marty contract and a bad one.  New GM, New QB.  Simple.

Said Curtis is gone so no weapons for Sam.  Dafuq you say?  Robby, DJ, and CMC alone are better than anything Sam ever had in NY.  

The line issues have been around for a decade so yeah, we all see that one.  Way to dig deep Bleach.

Its the same lazy reporting on this team some of us have lamented for decades.  Its why Person and Newton are given so much poo.  They have jobs people would kill for and they put less effort in it than I do folding a fitted sheet. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, KatsAzz said:

When i saw this was an article that appeared in the "Bleacher Report" I stopped reading.

They have by faaar the worst takes form any the sports websites, just brutal mistake after brutal mistake. Look up their history and laugh away. I still bust my friends balls about making me get their app, I removed it during the Johnny football update saga. Pure trash. 

• Beer 1

Still laugh at the morons who think our OL is worse than it is, it's middling. Most teams don't get 4+ seconds to throw the ball and compared to the film the Jets OL put up he may as well have the best T/G/C that have ever suited up.

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, top dawg said:

We won't know whether choosing Darnold over Fields was a big blunder or successful shrewd strategy until many months from now.  That's the simple truth of the matter.

Yeah, unfortunately those decisions always get amplified if they are wrong. It is what it is.

1 hour ago, top dawg said:

Yes but somebody needed content right now!

It's not a lot different than draft grades and free agent grades directly after the fact.

Chances are if you looked at the articles written this time last year, you'd get a good chuckle out of them.

• Pie 1

To the author--

The Panthers got the 3rd overall player, a 23 year old QB (2018 draft), and the 8th overall pick )--a shut down, press CB, in the first round.  They got a WR projected to go in the late first/early second at the end of the second round.  They got an eventual starting LT by trading up in the third round.  The got a TE that can knock snot out of your ass and they got a road-grading RG.  They got depth at CB and RB, and they signed a lot of free agents that may not start now.

Yeah--that sucks.  And you think the OL has not been addressed, with 3 free agents and 2 picks that will probably start by next year? And you use NYJ stats to measure a QB when he was always playing one-dimensional, come-from-behind football, his WRs were confused and ran bad routes, he had no right side of an OL, and his defense and COACH sucked.  You think he should post pro bowl numbers in that shithole of a program?  You have done your homework, son.

We have NEVER addressed more needs with quality than this year.  And because you think someone sucks because they have a low Madden rating means little--no--nothing.

Edited by MHS831
  • Beer 2

1 hour ago, Fox007 said:

Still laugh at the morons who think our OL is worse than it is, it's middling. Most teams don't get 4+ seconds to throw the ball and compared to the film the Jets OL put up he may as well have the best T/G/C that have ever suited up.

Well yea, compared to arguably the worst ranked oline in the NFL the past few years no one can deny being ranked on average 18th over that time isn’t better. Doesn’t mean it’s good. And fact is the 18th ranked oline or worse made the playoffs a few times in two decades and the ones that did, had a HOF qb...pretty far from Darnold or really any typical QB.

Nothing stat wise indicates the line has been even average for the past few years...

18: 17

19: 18

20: 18

Take away Moton and you’re competing for the Jets. One player in a 5 man squad. That’s context to two things. 1. How good Moton is 2. How awful the rest of the line is.

More context pertaining to last year, when the oline played above average quarter 1-2 and probably played the worst in the league quarters 3-4. Take what you want from that.

More context, Cam’s average oline over his career ranked better than last year, with almost a half second longer release time/qb rushing... Lol

And some more context, out of starting QBs who had at least 400 pass attempts, which is 21 QBs (TB 492), TB ranked third in time to release at 2.6 seconds and still got sacked 36 times. That is laughable, no QB with around that release time got sacked even near that amount.

Finally, Cam and TB were injured due to a horrid line.

Unless one thinks the oline is the absolute worst in the NFL, it’s damn near impossible to think our oline is worse than it is.

I still laugh at the morons who think the line is fine, and we will be one of the few teams in 20 years to go anywhere without making changes, just breaking those NFL records and trends. Granted there are only a few...for a reason. The oline blows.

Edited by onmyown