• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

This seems oddly familiar

Zod

3 minutes ago, Moo Daeng said:

It's the typical situation where you can't be excited about our draft selections because they haven't proven anything. However you can count another teams  chicken before it's hatched 

and its basically a mixed tape of his best throws and even then its not that impressive

• Flames 1

I don't agree with questioning Darnold's work ethic based on nothing. I haven't seen or heard anything to call it into question. As for Fields it's beginning to look like another rinse repeat story with some folks and how they have always judged and treated a dual threat qb. For their sake the kid better be mediocre like they are predicting.

Edited by frankw
  • Beer 1

7 minutes ago, frankw said:

I don't agree with questioning Darnold's work ethic based on nothing. I haven't seen or heard anything to call it into question. As for Fields it's beginning to look like another rinse repeat story with some folks and how they have always judged and treated a dual threat qb. For their sake the kid better be mediocre like they are predicting.

I see it the other way around. Most QBs these days are duel threat. I see it more as whenever someone doesn't think a QB is actually that good of a QB the people who like that QB look for obscure reasons to justify why another person doesn't agree with their opinion. It's like they are so sure that QB is so great that there's no honest reason why someone would say that they're not. Maybe Fields will be great. He has a lot of great characteristics but he has a lot of flaws in his game too which is why he fell on draft day. Nothing in that hype video showed anything new about his game yet so the doubt for many of us is still there. No second read and he still has that slow delivery. Those are his two biggest criticisms and they appear to still be there. 

3 hours ago, OldhamA said:

Rhule wants to play an aggressive man defence. You can't do that without CBs who can take away their man in single coverage.

Horn provides us the ability to do that - in a pass happy league, CBs have become extraordinarily valuable. This isn't your Ron Rivera / John Fox era where you could hide CBs in zone behind a great Dline. You need both with how slanted the rules are in 2021. 

Sure, but you also can't win with one of the worst QB's in the NFL and a bottom third OL, either. Ask the Chiefs how OL problems worked out last season.

Ultimately, we need the bulk of the problems fixed to be where we want to be as a franchise. IMO, QB and LT were bigger needs. Obviously Rhule felt differently. We will see how it all ultimately works out. I just hope he turns out to be right.

7 hours ago, Varking said:

He knew he was the guy in New York. Did him playing loose and relaxed in New York help him put up great stats or many victories? Are you implying he can only be successful and play loose and relaxed if he  doesn't have competition?

Did Alex Smith struggle because they drafted a QB to replace him? What about Rodgers in Green Bay? If competition with a rookie QB when you are going into year 4 is what makes you scared then we are going to have a lot of issues with his confidence this year in general. I don't believe Sam Darnold is as soft as you are making him out to be, mentally. 

He was the guy in New York who should never have thrown him out there to be the Guy his rookie year.   Any halfway-competent NFL team would've had him at least sit for a year behind a Vet QB learning by watching, and participating in practices thus becoming more prepared. 

And I never said he wouldn't be able to handle it but why should he have to deal with THAT on top of trying to run the offense? 

He'll hear plenty of jeers and crowd noise at opposing stadiums.   I doubt he'd want to hear (at his own home stadium) "We Want Fields!  We Want Fields!" everytime he comes out on the field on each offensive possession. 🤨

6 hours ago, Varking said:

Maybe having Teddy around would have helped push Darnold a bit more?  Maybe a change of scenery is going to push Darnold to be better? This is his fourth year in the NFL. Up to this point he hasn't had to look over his shoulder. If he was healthy he was "the guy". He has played 38 games and has thrown 39 interceptions. The one major thing the Jets didn't try was giving him a real threat of competition where the backup could take his job before the season started. The kid needs to be pushed at this point because he has been coddled enough. 

And has thrown 45 Touchdowns.

45....on a garbage team.  🤔

That doesn't sound much like "a bad QB" like Hepcat has as his mantra.

He could be better (that's very true) and with this team, I think he will.

Edited by glenwo2
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

And has thrown 45 Touchdowns.  

45....on a garbage team.  🤔

That doesn't sound much like "a bad QB" like Hepcat has as his mantra.

He could be better (that's very true) and with this team, I think he will.

I also think and have said just as much about him being better here. I think Teddy would have been fine here as well if he would try to push the ball downfield and not constant fly settle for a dump off check down. Darnold will push the ball. That’s what we need. 

• Beer 2

13 minutes ago, Varking said:

I also think and have said just as much about him being better here. I think Teddy would have been fine here as well if he would try to push the ball downfield and not constant fly settle for a dump off check down. Darnold will push the ball. That’s what we need. 

Amen.  

From what we've seen lately, he's beginning to "get it" with all the reports of his throws being "dimes" or whatever.  

I hope he puts a whoopin' on the Jets.

I also hope the Panthers D becomes a real Dennis-The-Menace and puts Mr. Wilson on his back often.   😄

Edited by glenwo2
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 1

5 hours ago, Panthers Rhule said:

Don't expect to see Fields starting any time soon unless something happens to Dalton. Andy Dalton is firmly ahead of Fields on the depth chart. 

Bears open with the Rams, Bengals and Browns. There's a real chance they'll be 1-2 or 0-3 and the pressure to start Fields will be very high, whether he's ready or not.