• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The closest thing to a must-win game in years?

top dawg

4 minutes ago, Ocpanthertew714 said:

The level of optimism I have now compared to this time last year, is exponentially higher.

That being said, if we do lose to the Jets, that optimism will be shot, and back to the "how are the college QB's looking for drat" phase of the season. 

If we play our best, and they play their best we wiil win. 

Edited by SBBlue
  • Pie 3
  • Beer 1

The idea of finally getting back to the stadium with our fellow fans after a year and a half, just to watch them lose to the freaking Jets, is a very depressing one. This place would be a disaster for sure as well. The first game of the season, I've noticed the players and coaches are more focused on penalties, positioning and the running of the game they concentrated on in camp and less on the tendencies of the opposing team due to lack of relevant tape. This gives our defense the upper hand this year for the opener, I believe.

1 minute ago, Ace420 said:

They have a good chance of surprising us because we have no film on them. Just because Wilson is playing bad in camp doesn't mean he won't light us up in a real game, similar to Cam Newton in 2011. 

In the NFL you don't know who the good teams are until about week 5 at the earliest.

Cam wasn't that bad.

We know who the good teams are. KC, Rams, Packers, Ravens, Titans, Steelers, Seahawks, Bucs...we just don't know who the surprise good teams are.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, Mother Grabber said:

if we lose the first game, and win the rest, including all the playoff games, is that still bad?

In February looking back?  Not at all.  Songs would be written.

but… the 6 days between Sunday #1 and Sunday #2 will be dark and fraught with danger. 

Even after a week 2 and 3 victory it’ll still be prickly around here.

• Pie 1

Don't think you can really compare this to other teams who have dropped the opener and gone on to be successful. First of all coming off back to back 5 win seasons. Second of all how many of those teams acquired the starting qb of the opponent who was previously the worst team in the league? This is not a standard opener.

Edited by frankw

For me it depends how we play. If we play well but the Jets play better then I can accept a loss. If we play poorly then I won't be happy if we win or lose. Sure a win is a win but it won't give me that much hope for the future. On the other hand the measure of a team is how it handles adversity just as much as how they handle success. So even if we lose week 1, if we come back and smack NO I wil be much happier.