• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hey the OL sucked donkey balls today

Zod

21 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

IF Moore, Marshall, Anderson, McCaffrey and Arnold stay healthy, Darnold will be fine. 

No matter what the defence brings, somebody will be single covered. They brought Darnold in because he's more physically talented than Bridgewater and because he's shown the willingness to let the ball fly. 

Bridgewater, as good as he was at moving the chains, left so many points on the field because he wouldn't (or perhaps couldn't) push the ball down the field on those shot plays. 

I'm confident we'll see a much better version of Darnold here surrounded by those skill players. The OL will be a limiting factor, but unless they're getting pressure instantly every snap we'll be ok. 

He will be better than Teddy in some regards and also worse. It will be a hindsight discussion to see how it all worked out.

Ideally, in our favor.

21 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

FWIW, I wasn't as harsh on him as many have been.  I lost some hope last season, but I didn't fully give up on him until this offseason/TC.

Unfortunately, you just don't look as bad as he does and it be okay. Even more unfortunately, it was since his rookie year.

Another Hurneymagic pick. 🙄

• Pie 1

Okung would be on the bench injured before week 3 imo. Okung is good but father time has caught up with his body.

Unfortunately we don't have the type of QB who can just make something happen when the protection isn't there. We have a tall lumbering old school statue type QB who is either A.) going to get injured from our poop line (assuming it is poop), or B.) freak the hell out and start throwing trash to save his body. That is not to say that Darnold can't run, he can, but he's not a prime Cam or Vick, when the protection isn't there he's going to get his legs snapped.

I thought we were going to take Slater after a small trade down, and from what I heard we had trade down offers coming in but they weren't for equal points. I would not have been mad if we reached for Slater just because the consequences for poor protection are so dire. Bad o-line play + Darnold = losing season. That formula was already proven with the Jets.

Moton and Scott are lumbering monsters who know how to run block, but you don't want them matched up with speedy DE's at LT. Little has all kinds of problems with quicker DE's as well, but he can run block well when he remembers the play and gets angry. Little is much stronger than you might think by looking at him. Christensen has the problem of his arms being on the short side which will have both power and speed DEs giving him trouble. If his arms were a few inches longer we'd be looking at our LT for many years to come. He's lean and decently athletic, but the arms will be an issue imo. Basically we have a bunch of RTs on this team, and no one built to play LT except Little, and he is not understanding the playbook by the way he looks on the field.

Edited by pantherj

11 minutes ago, pantherj said:

Okung would be on the bench injured before week 3 imo. Okung is good but father time has caught up with his body.

Unfortunately we don't have the type of QB who can just make something happen when the protection isn't there. We have a tall lumbering old school statue type QB who is either A.) going to get injured from our poop line (assuming it is poop), or B.) freak the hell out and start throwing trash to save his body. That is not to say that Darnold can't run, he can, but he's not a prime Cam or Vick, when the protection isn't there he's going to get his legs snapped.

I thought we were going to take Slater after a small trade down, and from what I heard we had trade down offers coming in but they weren't for equal points. I would not have been mad if we reached for Slater just because the consequences for poor protection are so dire. Bad o-line play + Darnold = losing season. That formula was already proven with the Jets.

Moton and Scott are lumbering monsters who know how to run block, but you don't want them matched up with speedy DE's at LT. Little has all kinds of problems with quicker DE's as well, but he can run block well when he remembers the play and gets angry. Little is much stronger than you might think by looking at him. Christensen has the problem of his arms being on the short side which will have both power and speed DEs giving him trouble. If his arms were a few inches longer we'd be looking at our LT for many years to come. He's lean and decently athletic, but the arms will be an issue imo. Basically we have a bunch of RTs on this team, and no one built to play LT except Little, and he is not understanding the playbook by the way he looks on the field.

Darnold is far from a "tall lumbering, old school statue." He is a fairly athletic dude.

Don't disagree with all of what you said but I have to defend Darnold here. He is an above average athlete for QB in the NFL.

• Pie 3

It is not surprising the oline was bad. These guys have not played together as a unit. Hopefully they don’t just suck and only need time to gel. I think they planned/hoped Sewell would be there at 8, but the Lions double-crossed them. 

Edited by thennek
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

Darnold is far from a "tall lumbering, old school statue." He is a fairly athletic dude.

Don't disagree with all of what you said but I have to defend Darnold here. He is an above average athlete for QB in the NFL.

He has a 50 yard TD scramble - can't imagine there's many NFL QBs that have that on their resume.

• Beer 1

6 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

When USC first tired to recruit Sam Darnold….it was to play outside linebacker.