• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers and WR Robby Anderson have agreed to a 2-year, $29.5 million extension, per source.

SgtJoo

36 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

To be fair, that didn't work out so well in the case of Dan Morgan and Will Witherspoon.

Which is why I added the line about Rhule understanding the value of team chemistry. 

Morgan's extension made him one of the highest paid linebackers at the time on a team with a lot of highly paid veterans. They had also used a first rounder on Thomas Davis who they converted to linebacker to replace Witherspoon. Panthers only had the cap space to sign either Morgan or Witherspoon at the time and they clearly made the wrong decision based off Morgan's injury history. (I don't think Morgan ever played an entire 16 game season)

Robbie's contract makes him around the 20th highest paid WR and the Panthers are looking to have 30m+ in cap space next season. The situations aren't even remotely similar.

18 hours ago, Seltzer said:

His decline was directly related to Teddy not willing to uncork the ball as the season progressed IMO.  At some point, management (as well as fans) got tired of seeing Robby & DJ open down the field with Teddy not throwing.

Except that DJ and Curtis both kept seeing good production throughout the year. TB wasn't doing anyone any favors, but Robby hadn't really completed a whole season before and it kind of looked like he was worn out. Just my opinion and observations. Hopefully he's better conditioned for this year and can keep producing.

Imagine if Robby had been able to keep on pace that he set for the first four games... 

15 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

It was supposedly also "common sense" that he was pissed about us trading for Darnold and wanted to get away from him.

Except...

Goofball fan theories aren't common sense at all, and the narratives put forth on here definitely were anything but.

It was dumb speculation. Hell, a lot of folks recognized that even back before this news broke.

The part about Sam could be genuine.  Chemistry matters.

But the other part regarding the city and people of Charlotte could be partly true but also not quite.   

Hate to say this but :

Pay someone enough money and they'd say they love the city and the fans, too.  

Sorry for being a bit skeptical here, Scot but it always comes down to the Benjamins.   Everything else just sounds like pure fluff to me, though it would be great if it wasn't. 

Still, I'm glad he's re-signed.  🙂

Edited by glenwo2

3 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

The part about Sam could be genuine.  Chemistry matters.

But the other part regarding the city and people of Charlotte could be partly true but also not quite.   

Hate to say this but :

Pay someone enough money and they'd say they love the city and the fans, too.  

Sorry for being a bit skeptical here, Scot but it always comes down to the Benjamins.   Everything else just sounds like pure fluff to me. 

Still, I'm glad he's re-signed.  🙂

And you're basing this supposition about him not actually meaning what he said about Charlotte off of what? Your own bias? I mean I get being cynical sometimes but come on man this is completely baseless.

• Pie 1

For those worried about the impact of Robbie's contract on DJ, this from Joe Person (The Athletic) this morning:

"Scott Fitterer, who replaced Hurney in January, said extending Anderson allows him to “stagger” the contracts in the receiving room. The Panthers picked up DJ Moore’s fifth-year option for 2022, but hope to get a long-term deal done before then, while second-round pick Terrace Marshall Jr. is at the front end of his four-year, rookie contract."

• Pie 5
  • Beer 2

2 minutes ago, travisura said:

And you're basing this supposition about him not actually meaning what he said about Charlotte off of what? Your own bias? I mean I get being cynical sometimes but come on man this is completely baseless.

Yes.   It's a personal opinion not based in any actual fact.

I'm not unique in that regard here at the huddle, you know.

Edited by glenwo2

41 minutes ago, Raleigh PF said:

For those worried about the impact of Robbie's contract on DJ, this from Joe Person (The Athletic) this morning:

"Scott Fitterer, who replaced Hurney in January, said extending Anderson allows him to “stagger” the contracts in the receiving room. The Panthers picked up DJ Moore’s fifth-year option for 2022, but hope to get a long-term deal done before then, while second-round pick Terrace Marshall Jr. is at the front end of his four-year, rookie contract."

Exactly what a lot of us in this thread have been saying...