• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Morning After - Jets at Panthers

Zod

fans who think that the players that voted the dude a captain and clearly are rallying around him are going to "get tired of him being coddled." 🙄

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Smitty spoke the truth on Darnold's play in the preseason. 

Smitty lauded praise on Darnold, commented on his arm strength, gave him high praise for his accuracy and ball placement on as many or more throws than he pointed out his misses. I mean, you and I watch the same broadcast and you come away thinking Smitty was critical of Darnold, when I come away thinking he was very positive.  

This defense is nasty.  The pass rush is going to be a problem for a lot of teams.  Derrick Brown looks as unstoppable as I figured he would be this season.  I love Burns, I have his jersey and everything, but by seasons end, Brown is going to be considered the best player on this defensive line.  He is strong as an ox.  And if he keeps improving as a pass rusher (SOO farther along than I thought he would be in that regard?  Oh boy.  And the dude is only 23 years old. 

I thought Donte Jackson and Shaq Thompson both played their best games in a long time.  

I didn't notice Jaycee Horn much, and that is a good thing.

The offensive line looks as bad as I figured.  I thought Brady and Darnold did a good job making up for it though.  Lots of quick play designs, Darnold with good pocket work and getting the ball out in a timely manner.  But there is only so long you can make-up for a bad line.  They either have to play better on the line or we are going to have to make a move somehow.  Both seem unlikely though.  

McCaffrey is still amazing, but hopefully we get more involvement from other guys in the weeks to come. I trust this will happen though.  You don't have 4 guys get 1,000 yards on the same team without an OC who is able to mix it up.  

Overall, I was a little disappointed we only scored 19 points, but I was very, very impressed with this defense.  And I think there is a lot of room on offense to grow as the season wears on.  So I'm optimistic going into Week 2 against a Saints team that I think we can beat.  Saints are thin at wide receiver and against the Packers, mostly were effective underneath which means they can't take advantage of our biggest weakness on defense (defending the deep ball).  I think Winston is a much better QB than people give him credit for, but without Michael Thomas, he can't really do what he does best.  I know that is weird to say after a 5 TD game, but that had a lot more to do with the poor play of the Packers.  I think the game is going to come down to how well the offense is able to compensate for how the OL will likely look against the Saints pass rushers, but even that is a ? for the Saints with Davenport out.

Next week is going to be a measuring stick for this coaching staff.  I'm not saying the Saints aren't a good team.  They are, but we measure up just as well as them talent-wise.  We're at home.  We're the healthier team.  It is a divisional game.  I'm fully expecting us to win.  And it better happen.

Edited by Mage
  • Pie 2

3 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

At some point, these guys might get tired of getting thrown under the bus covering for Darnold. The receivers were the problem all during camp and the joint practices. I don't think I've heard a single critical peep about Darnold from anyone in the organization.

can we just revisit this for a second - who is being thrown under the bus covering for Darnold?  We saw actual drops in the preseason on well-throw balls, and it wasn't just Darnold throwing the balls.  Meanwhile, there were plenty of comments about Darnold's footwork (wasn't there an entire article on the main site of them trying to overhaul it?), improving his poor decision making, etc.

meanwhile the dude is apparently one of the top vote-getters for captain, accepts blame himself in many situations (even when he isn't really at fault), seems to have the respect of his teammates...

I mean objectively Darnold's first game wasn't perfect, but it was fine.  Yet this is some weird narrative about people being throw under the bus because of a miscue involving multiple players...

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, CRA said:

was there another press conference today? Because this is from the transcipt of yesterday's presser:

(If not, I see discrepencies in Joe Person's quoting)

RE: Circumstances surrounding Sam Darnold fumble

"I have to see the tape to see if [Giovanni] Ricci was too tight. Sam has to seat that ball a little tighter. Gio has to be a little wider. I think we are going to not just get the first down but walk in for a touchdown. We had it wired. Guys made great blocks. Who exactly it was, I would have to watch the tape to see. That's a play we run all the time and never had any issue on. Like everything else, little things here and there that have to be cleaned up to be a good team."

Edited by TheCasillas

10 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

was there another press conference today? Because this is from the transcipt of yesterday's presser:

"I have to see the tape to see if [Giovanni] Ricci was too tight. Sam has to seat that ball a little tighter. Gio has to be a little wider. I think we are going to not just get the first down but walk in for a touchdown. We had it wired. Guys made great blocks. Who exactly it was, I would have to watch the tape to see. That's a play we run all the time and never had any issue on. Like everything else, little things here and there that have to be cleaned up to be a good team."

This is fair. Ricci may have come in too tight, but the bottom line is that Sam has to hold that ball in and not extend it until the FB clears. If he did, even if Ricci came in a little too tight it wouldn't have mattered at the end of the day. We run very little I formation and rarely field a FB so I'm sure we haven't practiced it much either, but at the end of the day, this is day one of QB 101 stuff we're talking about here - a simple handoff on a HB dive play with a FB lead blocker out of the I formation.

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

This is fair. Ricci may have come in too tight, but the bottom line is that Sam has to hold that ball in and not extend it until the FB clears. If he did, even if Ricci came in a little too tight it wouldn't have mattered at the end of the day. We run very little I formation and rarely field a FB so I'm sure we haven't practiced it much either, but at the end of the day, this is day one of QB 101 stuff we're talking about here - a simple handoff on a HB dive play with a FB lead blocker out of the I formation.

Honestly it's just a fluke all the way around. . Sam had no more than turned around to hand it off when he ran into the lead blocker.  The timing was off all around.  It's obvious that play needs more practice.  

• Pie 2

36 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

Yes, today.  Monday presser.  Which was the tweet.  He went and watched the tape.  It was Sam’s fault. 

his gut take was to shield Sam.  Which he did post game.  But tape didn’t lie and everyone saw it.  Commentators even called it.  So he said he was Sam’s fault but placed the real blame on the coaches for not practicing it enough….despite saying they ran it all the time the day prior.  

• Beer 1

9 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Smitty spoke the truth on Darnold's play in the preseason. On TV, you saw nice short to medium completions but he was pointing out open guys deep and pointing out problems with ball placement on certain passes. We saw some of those same things yesterday.

I liked his poise. I didn't see panic from him which is great. But there's still considerable work to be done.

But you just basically said no one was being critical of Darnold in an earlier post, though.  

So technically, you were wrong in that regard.  🤷‍♂️

The thing you were right on was that Sam does need a ton of developmental work to get better. 

Edited by glenwo2