• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why do we keep trading our FA acquisitions?

BurnNChinn

23 minutes ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

Just looking at straight tackles for a LB can be deceptive and is not always a good indicator of quality of play. If a guy is the weak link they're gonna go to his part of the field over and over, and he might get a ton of tackles, wheras a lb playing at a higher level might have fewer tackles because his skill set allows him to be more effective in coverage so there are fewer throws to his man, or the tackles he does have result in fewer yards gained.

Exactly.  Heck even Tahoe Whitehead has a ton of tackles in this league lol

10 minutes ago, Eazy-E said:

Perryman and Arnold were both stop gap

Well put.  Perryman ended up being a bad experiment for the team so they salvaged what they could.  Arnold may have been the chess piece for acquiring a long term CB.  This FO sees players as both players and assets that can be moved for the betterment of the team.  

sounds cold but it’s business.

• Beer 1

37 minutes ago, Luciu5 said:

Perryman did nothing while he was here.  Literally.  Didn't even practice.  Great for him where he is, but he wasn't doing anything here.

Jags specifically asked for Arnold.  We did not want to give him up, but wanted Henderson more than Arnold.

That's about the size of it. 

----

One thing I like about Fitterer is that he doesn't sit on his hands. He works the phones, he's always looking to upgrade the team (within reason) even considering draft capital, and he's an opportunist. He's always cognizant of the big picture.

----

fug Perryman. He went to Vegas and got his Covid shot in order to be all-in. He wasn't all-in here, so fug him. Dude didn't have the right attitude while he was here, and he's an injury risk.

• Pie 5

19 minutes ago, top dawg said:

That's about the size of it. 

----

One thing I like about Fitterer is that he doesn't sit on his hands. He works the phones, he's always looking to upgrade the team (within reason) even considering draft capital, and he's an opportunist. He's always cognizant of the big picture.

----

fug Perryman. He went to Vegas and got his Covid shot in order to be all-in. He wasn't all-in here, so fug him. Dude didn't have the right attitude while he was here, and he's an injury risk.

in other words, “in on every deal”.  And beats the heck out of holding onto a player that doesn’t fit. Gotta love this new regime!

and you’re right about Perryman. He would’ve been a waste of roster space and a lockerroom cancer. Sometimes you just have to cut bait and move on.

Edited by Prowler2k18

1 hour ago, BrianS said:

This seems obvious to me.  With Arnold, sure, he was ok - solid - but not spectacular.  His production wasn't irreplaceable.  Suspect as a blocker, and just "ok" as a receiver.  Seven receptions, 84 yards on the season.

With Perryman, he didn't fit.  He just wasn't the right guy.  On one hand, he was the lone unvaccinated player on the team at one point.  On another, he just couldn't get on the field.  These are red flags.  You might also question if perhaps he didn't fit our scheme as we thought he would.  Perhaps he wasn't buying in.

Finally, as Panthers fans, we've often questioned in the past why we would hang on to players when it seemed obvious they weren't working out.  This staff doesn't have that problem.  If it isn't working - for any reason - they move on.

I find that refreshing.  "We made a mistake, we're moving on" is something we haven't had nearly enough of in the past.

I agree with this and I definitely endorse going after and picking up a top-10 draft pick from one year ago at a position of need. It was a good trade on paper -- now, we see how it plays out. Hopefully this is a sign of wanting to compete and not an obsession with roster churning.

1 hour ago, glenwo2 said:

Didn't Rhule say that he did not want to include Arnold in the CJ deal?

It is what it is.

You have to give up something to get something and we got a way better SOMETHING.

How do u know that he’s only played 8 games, I think y’all jumpin the hype train a little early imo.

20 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

I agree with this and I definitely endorse going after and picking up a top-10 draft pick from one year ago at a position of need. It was a good trade on paper -- now, we see how it plays out. Hopefully this is a sign of wanting to compete and not an obsession with roster churning.

There is a reason a team gave up on a top ten pick after 8 games, so that’s not a good sign. JS

1 hour ago, BrianS said:

I find that refreshing.  "We made a mistake, we're moving on" is something we haven't had nearly enough of in the past.

This right here.

And just to add to Arnold, obviously they preferred not to trade him but anytime you can flip a 2 year 6 million FA signing into a position of need (cornerback) you were willing to take in the 1st round in the previous draft, you do it every single time. The value was just too good to pass up. Even if this doesn’t work out the way we hope, it’s a shot you take.

1 hour ago, BurnNChinn said:

I don’t understand why we keep trading everyone we picked up, seems like we give up on them to soon. I thought Arnold looked solid. Also Perryman is tearing it up in Las Vegas 36 tackles in 3 weeks to Carter’s 10. Seems like Carter isn’t even out there, I never see him kinda disappears in the game. I know I will get poo from everyone but damn I mean why the quick changes early in the year?

Would you have rather we sat around and done nothing? Or are you living in a world where you expect us to be able to get any player we want without giving something up? I, for one, am thrilled to have a proactive GM who isn't afraid to cut bait on guys when there are better options out there.

11 minutes ago, BurnNChinn said:

How do u know that he’s only played 8 games, I think y’all jumpin the hype train a little early imo.

It's not what WE know it's what THEY know and THEY evaulated and met with him before last season's draft and our DB coach knows him well and in all THEY decided he was worth the trade even if they didn't want to trade Arnold so that is good enough for 98% of us these days. Everything has looked good so far so keep it rolling. 

• Pie 1
  • Flames 2