• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is this a Red shirt year for Brown?

Panther53521

Every question Matt gets about Brown is answered with “He is doing good and losing weight”.

He can lose weight while playing guard. As bad as our guards are playing, you can tell me the big guy can’t at least play on the same level as them until he learns and loses weight in games

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1

5 hours ago, Panther53521 said:

Every question Matt gets about Brown is answered with “He is doing good and losing weight”.

He can lose weight while playing guard. As bad as our guards are playing, you can tell me the big guy can’t at least play on the same level as them until he learns and loses weight in games

It's not possible he is worse than John Miller!  That guy may be the worst OG I've seen in a long time. 

• Pie 2

At a certain point he will have no choice but to play brown then he will be the most dominant interior lineman on the team then rhule will say it was part of the plan and how the process works. if he pulls the free agents and replace them with rookies what does that say about his evaluation of players. Oh this guy was a former 1st pick let’s throw stuff at a wall and see what sticks lol 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

5 minutes ago, Panfan35 said:

At a certain point he will have no choice but to play brown then he will be the most dominant interior lineman on the team then rhule will say it was part of the plan and how the process works. if he pulls the free agents and replace them with rookies what does that say about his evaluation of players. Oh this guy was a former 1st pick let’s throw stuff at a wall and see what sticks lol 

FAs didn't play in the last game.  In fact the FA guard that Brown would replace hasn't played the last 3 games.

Duke Robinson anyone? We all were clamoring to get him on the field and didn't work out as expected as an every down guy.

Donte was a load in college on a star studded (for NCAA) line. His dominance was as much due to his physical strength more than technique. If he latched on to you, it was game over. I think too many people made a huge deal out of his shortcomings shown at the senior bowl. Yes he was whipped on 1-1 drills. Surprise surprise, a 370lb guard isn't great in space. He would be targeted every down to get him in space where he struggles. Now it would be hard to get him on that island every down, but expect you would see a few ugly plays as this isn't the NCAA so he is going against much better talent all around and it's not like he has a stud OL on each side of him like in college.

I like that they are not rushing a 6th rounder with some weight issues onto the field as a starter. Think it is a little baffling why he isn't dressed as a backup and heavy load package guy in short yardage. He would be a small liability if you check out of a run, but I'd be damned if he isn't as effective as a TE trying to get a push in short yardage situations, a place we have really struggled the past 3 years. Unless the staff think his weight is big injury risk, I think it's time to ease him into NFL games as a jumbo blocker vs chucking a FB/3rd the out there. 

• Pie 8

2 hours ago, chbright said:

Duke Robinson anyone? We all were clamoring to get him on the field and didn't work out as expected as an every down guy.

Donte was a load in college on a star studded (for NCAA) line. His dominance was as much due to his physical strength more than technique. If he latched on to you, it was game over. I think too many people made a huge deal out of his shortcomings shown at the senior bowl. Yes he was whipped on 1-1 drills. Surprise surprise, a 370lb guard isn't great in space. He would be targeted every down to get him in space where he struggles. Now it would be hard to get him on that island every down, but expect you would see a few ugly plays as this isn't the NCAA so he is going against much better talent all around and it's not like he has a stud OL on each side of him like in college.

I like that they are not rushing a 6th rounder with some weight issues onto the field as a starter. Think it is a little baffling why he isn't dressed as a backup and heavy load package guy in short yardage. He would be a small liability if you check out of a run, but I'd be damned if he isn't as effective as a TE trying to get a push in short yardage situations, a place we have really struggled the past 3 years. Unless the staff think his weight is big injury risk, I think it's time to ease him into NFL games as a jumbo blocker vs chucking a FB/3rd the out there. 

There's a lot of truth here.

• 4 weeks later...