• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tepper at new HQ

SBBlue

34 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

People these days just don't give a fug

I remember listening to my grandfather and my great Uncle's talk when I was a kid and how proud they were about all the different things they were a part of in their life . Most of the things that they were talking about were just different jobs that they did throughout their lives but they were a part of something they accomplished things and they were proud of those things. 

People these days want to sit and home and get a free check. Omg, that’s what happening right now in this world. 

1 hour ago, PhillyB said:

also tepper totally gave the emoji shrug when furloughing countless median income earners during a fuging global pandemic when he could've easily absorbed the negligible cost of keeping his people employed, so i kind of doubt tepper went with the building contractors that charged more for a project so they could pay their laborers better 

To be fair there is no guarantee that the highest bidder would have paid their employees more.  I understand that your commenting on a generalized aspect of society. Specifically the nature of owners patronizing their employees by selling pride.  I get that and agree with it. I would say that these aren't Tepper's employees so its a nice gesture.  Your beef may lie with the contractor and not Tepper in this instance.

• Beer 1

5 minutes ago, TheMaulClaw said:

To be fair there is no guarantee that the highest bidder would have paid their employees more.  I understand that your commenting on a generalized aspect of society. Specifically the nature of owners patronizing their employees by selling pride.  I get that and agree with it. I would say that these aren't Tepper's employees so its a nice gesture.  Your beef may lie with the contractor and not Tepper in this instance.

yeah that's fair. it's just difficult to imagine being a dirt poor low wage construction worker flipping stop signs at the intersection watching the billionaire walk around with his wife like a hunger games scene telling you to be proud of the thing you're making for him to make more billions while you go home and eat beans out of the can because he's not paying you enough to afford more than that.

you don't want a stupid autographed football, you want livable wages and health insurance 

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1

4 minutes ago, PhillyB said:

yeah that's fair. it's just difficult to imagine being a dirt poor low wage construction worker flipping stop signs at the intersection watching the billionaire walk around with his wife like a hunger games scene telling you to be proud of the thing you're making for him to make more billions while you go home and eat beans out of the can because he's not paying you enough to afford more than that.

you don't want a stupid autographed football, you want livable wages and health insurance 

You realize there's a lot of assumptions in there, many of which are probably wrong.

You work in the film industry dude.  Is that the way they treat the workers?  If so, you are CLEARLY projecting.

Edited by SBBlue
  • Pie 1

38 minutes ago, PhillyB said:

wow calm down

maybe tepper is paying them tons of money and they're all going to buy ferraris after this. either way it's a cogent point to make that our owner - who's already developing as a reputation for being tight on the pursestrings unless he personally benefits - could do better on the optics with these things 

I mean, I get what you are saying, but damn near every big company or owner furloughed employees during COVID.  If you want to criticize Tepper for it, be my guest, but I don't necessarily think he needs to do better on the optics when what he does is the norm.  Most businesses or owners are not going to eat the cost if they can avoid it.  Most big businesses or owners are tight with money unless they personally benefit.  

I just feel like maybe you are reading a bit too much into this video, which was just PR.  Who knows what else he said or did for them or how much they are being paid.  I don't think we can draw a conclusion on that from the video.  I don't see any reason to think Tepper is any worse than 95% of other billionaires and millionaires of the world.  To me Tepper seems a lot better than most rich people.  And he's actively trying to improve the area.  Yeah he's doing it because he benefits from it (like most rich people) but again that is still much better than a lot of other rich people.

Edited by Mage
  • Beer 1

20 minutes ago, PhillyB said:

Sounds like it would make a good movie. Do you write as well as produce?

2 hours ago, PhillyB said:

not gonna lie, coming from an industry that's in the throes of renegotiating how its workers are treated (ending "around the clock" expectations for pathetic pay) it kinda irks me hearing stuff like "you guys are really doing something great here, you should be proud of what you're doing for the community, what you're doing will be remembered for twenty years..." blah blah yawn.

people who run enterprises like this are obviously extremely out of touch when they say stuff like this to workers who get nothing material out of the end product. they don't get residuals or shares. it's a job and then they're on to the next one. what matters is that they feel safe, they're paid fairly for their labor, and can provide for their families. they couldn't give less of a fug about legacy. as a currency of the wealthy, legacy only holds value to people who materially benefit from it.

this is a reminder to not bloviate this dumb poo to crew working on my projects unless they're well-enough paid, cared for, and comfortable to jump to whichever part of the maslow hierarchy lets you get excited about the cool poo making big bucks for someone else.

stripes lighten GIF

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, onmyown said:

Surely someone so passionate has found some way to take action and make a difference, not just bitch about it…I’d like to hear more about those endeavors.

He makes sure his people don't have to work longer than 12 hours at a time.