• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I feel bad for Sam

gorillamilitia13

He played a bad game yesterday but his last drive was magical. You have to give him credit for that. We haven’t seen a QB do that since Cam. That drive showed me what Rhule sees in Sam. 

Had we won in OT we would all be singing praises and how this game will be a catalyst for the season. Sucks we lost but I hope takes that drive and builds off it.

• Pie 5

13 minutes ago, CanadianCat said:

Im not an offensive guru... so I have a question on Brady...

Is he creating good plays but the team unable to execute them because of the oline?

Brady seems like hes a smart guy, but maybe the team just cannot execute his scheme at this point?

I feel like we run every OC out of town... I cannot remember one OC we actually all liked. 

I almost started a thread on this, but with everyone's emotions running high I know it would get hijacked. I believe they are clearly dumbing down this offense to try and keep it simple for Darnold. The route combinations and reads are elementary with an available checkdown in the middle of the field. Dude is still struggling, but no one says certain QBs have trouble processing information or reading defenses and the offense has to be dumbed down. It has been made apparent since Day 1 that Darnold is being spoon fed. Every week, the announcers start the telecast off with "Rhule told Darnold just worry about playing football". He is being handled with kid gloves and still can't get the job done. This offense did not look this stagnant last year and I am not a Bridgewater fan. 

Edited by NorthTryon
  • Pie 2

1 minute ago, OneBadCat said:

He played a bad game yesterday but his last drive was magical. You have to give him credit for that. We haven’t seen a QB do that since Cam. That drive showed me what Rhule sees in Sam. 

Had we won in OT we would all be singing praises and how this game will be a catalyst for the season. Sucks we lost but I hope takes that drive and builds off it.

If that drive was nothing more than Sam ignoring Brady's "playcalling", then I hope he continues to ignore him going forward. 

1 minute ago, NorthTryon said:

I almost started a thread on this, but with everyone's emotions running high I don't it would go anywhere. I believe they are clearly dumbing down this offense to try and keep it simple for Darnold. The route combinations and reads are elementary with an available checkdown in the middle of the field. Dude is still struggling, but no one says certain QBs have trouble processing information or reading defenses and the offense has to be dumbed down. It has been made apparent since Day 1 that Darnold is being spoon fed. Every week, the announcers start the telecast off with "Rhule told Darnold just worry about playing football". He is being handled with kid gloves and still can't get the job done. This offense did not look this stagnant last year and I am not a Bridgewater fan. 

Thats fair. I think the team went with the upside of Darnold vs the consistency of Bridgewater. Season is not over yet and we are locked into him for next year. So we may as well try to make this work.

Im not saying that Sam is the answer, but I also dont want to see us waste a 1st round pick behind the oline as is stands. We need to fix the oline this offseason THEN see if we need a new QB.  

• Beer 1

Darnold had two very good 4th quarter drives... Both despite drops. DJ trippled his drops in one game, and I still think if we win that coin toss, or the D gets the stop, Darnold leads that team to a win.

Darnold was bad until he wasn't. The difference was our receivers kept dropping balls.

Long term Darnold doesn't look like the answer, but the goddamn 3rd quarter is ruining this team and that falls on the coaches when it's week in and week out..

I feel sorry for Sam playing behind this line. I feel sorry for Sam that his first 3 years were under the Jets. I have sorry for Sam because his offensive coordinator hasn't recognized he plays his best ball when, by design, he doesn't have time to think.

Sam has done some pretty crappy things the past 3 weeks but he's also shown he can do some pretty special things too. TB isn't making that 4th quarter drive. Sam definitely needs to step it up, but it's not all on him. This team isn't performing like it's been well coached and that concerns me more than Darnold does right now. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, 45catfan said:

^^^This.  The sack fumble was on the OL who facilitated the jailbreak and the opening play INT was just as much on Anderson casually strolling around on a scramble drill as it was on Darnold for trying to force a play.

Anderson is a terrible route runner, lazy through his breaks, telegraphing his intentions, and never contesting for the 50-50 balls (of which there are many, since he never gains separation).  His only helpful function would be on a deep go route, where his speed might come into play, but our OL (non) blocking pretty much wliminates those -- unless we established a ground game, and then used play action to buy some time.  Even then, he'd have to run a crisp hitch and go, and I'm not sure he could pull that off.

If he does no better next game (if he can't vs the Giants secondary, he's nothing), then bench him. and put Zylstra in to start)

If he were to contest that first pass, and it goes incomplete, maybe a whole different tenor to the game.

No way so I think Sam played anywhere near a sharp game at QB.  He was very slow in seeing the field and not quick in getting the ball out -- but his hesitancy and inaccuracy were compounded by the alligator arms of Robbie and Chuba, and the unimaginative play calling of Brady.  Along with the many whiffs by the matadors up front, it constituted the perfect storm that he went through with the Jets.

Thank goodness we have the get well game vs the Giants next week, to maybe get some confidence back in the team.  I know they're shell-shocked and angry right now.

• Pie 1