• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jake on Sam

ladypanther

1 hour ago, BrianS said:

We're trying to rehab Darnold from a situation where he had entirely too much pressure on him from a horrible offensive line.  So we then put him behind a line that arguably might be even worse?  How was that EVER supposed to work?

It's like hiring a recovering alcoholic to work at a brewery.

I stress this both on and off the field but if you don't set up people for success, you're asking for failure. If this is how they are handling Darnold, then I'm not sure I can trust this staff developing a rookie QB.

10 minutes ago, rayzor said:

Sam needs a mentor. Some old QB on the sideline and meeting room that can help him out. I don't think he's ever really had that, has he?

I mean if we're stuck with him for a while, give him what can help.

He had Josh McCown for a bit with the Jets. That's about all I can remember though... 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, FugginPoo said:

Situation starting to remind me of when the Panthers took former #1 pick David Carr after he got destroyed behind Texans OL

David Carr was at least brought in as a backup QB with the thought of working on him behind the scenes to see if he could be fixed.   Injury thrust him into the lineup.  

I mean literally no one has ever taken a complete bust and failure and immediate made him the guy willingly like Rhule did. 

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, CRA said:

David Carr was at least brought in as a backup QB with the thought of working on him behind the scenes to see if he could be fixed.   Injury thrust him into the lineup.  

I mean literally no one has ever taken a complete bust and failure and immediate made him the guy willingly like Rhule did. 

The Carr 2 year $6 million contract was a good deal for a 1st round bust, whether he worked out or not. 2nd/4th/6th draft picks and an $18 million guaranteed 5th year option is a horrible gamble. Even if he was looking great right now you immediately have to sign him for $30+ million a year

12 minutes ago, CRA said:

Didn't the Packers with Farve?

I know Steve Young got to sit after he busted but he became a HOFr.

Jake

Kurt Warner

Who else busted and became a winner?

7 minutes ago, Catsfan69 said:

Jake

Kurt Warner

None of these guys meet the criteria being discussed, none of those guys busted out horrifically as staters in the NFL and then immediately were made the man elsewhere.  Plenty of people have failed....and then worked to get better, fix their game and THEN got second chances in the NFL. 

Favre had 4 pass attempts in his career and never started a game with his first team, Young went sat for years and years behind a HOF QB before being given chance #2, Jake and Kurt both went overseas before being able to earn a chance and were never 1st round busts to begin with. 

Perhaps if he went to a competent team out of college that would address these issues early Sam would’ve had a chance. But he went to one of the worst teams, worse staff, and worse oline (this from a Panther fan, enough said). Which only cemented his doom.

It’s not wonder some QBs stay in college to avoid poo teams (I don’t blame Luck, not that he did much better) or have a poo eating frown when they’re drafted by garbage teams.

A lot of greats have come out and said the team that drafts young talent can make or break them and unfortunately Sam is a causality of just that. Need to move on.

Edited by onmyown

5 minutes ago, Catsfan69 said:

Jake

Kurt Warner

What exactly is your definition of a bust? Favre was taken in the second round and was in two games for the Falcons. Jake was undrafted. Steve Young and Kurt Warner? Come on.