• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Derrick Henry Potential Season Ending Foot Injury

Castavar

48 minutes ago, Castavar said:

I know this isn't Panthers related, but holy sh*t that sucks for him and the Titans. What's the theme here?........................ Turf. That game had like 9 leg injuries, two of which seem to be season ending. Can the NFL please do away with artificial turf? We saw it happen to our own guys in CMC and Horn too at NRG stadium (also turf). At what point does the NFLPA gear up and refuse to play on any field that isn't grass?

I think his injury has more to do with a massive human putting a ton of strain and force on very small bones.

I'm a bit surprised he didn't deal with something like this sooner. Guy has been getting worked into the ground as much as or more than Cam or McCaffrey ever did here. Had been an iron man but that's rare for RBs, even a guy as massive and strong as he is. Bummer for him and the team, I was rooting for him to get another 2000+ yard season and break the record for single season rushing.

33 minutes ago, rayzor said:

sounds like another team that has it's entire offense built around the stud  RB.

might not be a good idea to do that and run the guy into the ground. overreliance and overusage might have more to do with it than turf (not that turf isn't a problem).

Sometimes it just happens. Only a few elite QBs to build around in the league. Only a few elite RBs as well. 

2 hours ago, Castavar said:

I know this isn't Panthers related, but holy sh*t that sucks for him and the Titans. What's the theme here?........................ Turf. That game had like 9 leg injuries, two of which seem to be season ending. Can the NFL please do away with artificial turf? We saw it happen to our own guys in CMC and Horn too at NRG stadium (also turf). At what point does the NFLPA gear up and refuse to play on any field that isn't grass?

The news is definitely relevant for the Panthers - who also lost their #1 RB to a non-contact injury on a turf field.  And maybe overused him like the Titans have with Henry.  

It begs the question "how does an NFL team best manage a great talent at RB ?" 

1 hour ago, BlitzMonster said:

The news is definitely relevant for the Panthers - who also lost their #1 RB to a non-contact injury on a turf field.  And maybe overused him like the Titans have with Henry.  

It begs the question "how does an NFL team best manage a great talent at RB ?" 

That's a hard question to answer.

I've often heard that RBs need a certain amount of carries to get into the rhythm of the game. I've never played the position, but that does seem to make sense. Look at our own Chubba Hubbard. He didn't look impressive at all spelling CMC. But, he's looks better now. I think that's due to getting a sustained workload.

However, the more carries/touches you get, the more hits you absorb; and that eventually catches up with you. QB's getting sacked 40 times a year and we here pundits say "he can't keep getting hit like this or he's going to have a short career". RB's get hit that much after 2 games. The number can even be higher when you factor in receptions.

All you can really do is put them on a "pitch count" like they do in MLB. Limit the touches during the regular season. Ideally, keep combined carries/receptions to 25. Even then that would equate to 400 touches over a 16 game season. The extended 17 game schedule only makes things worse.

If there is a blowout put him on the bench.  Coach them to avoid big hits in games; and if you make a first down go ahead and run out of bounds if you can.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, jackson113 said:

That's why you don't put big money on running backs. You turn and burn them..

I see your point of view. But, if I knew I played for an owner or coach with that mentality I can assure you I wouldn't give my all week end and week out just to be tossed aside like a used Kleenex after 3-4 seasons.