• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jermaine Carter questions..

WOW!!

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Good backup/marginal starter type. As long as we can retain him with a contract reflecting that we probably should. Gotta remember, we're way short on draft capital this year and a definite upgrade probably wouldn't come cheap via FA. You're not going to have All-Pros at every position. You're gonna have to make do with some JAGs and LB is a good place to hide a JAG on your defense.

Actually, it might not be that expensive to upgrade OLB in free agency. If you remove elite players and edge rushers, quality LB's are pretty affordable in the modern NFL.

Just now, kungfoodude said:

Actually, it might not be that expensive to upgrade OLB in free agency. If you remove elite players and edge rushers, quality LB's are pretty affordable in the modern NFL.

I just think we'd most likely end up with a similar caliber player vs. a young guy who's already familiar with our system. I'd rather keep Carter than spend the money on a FA who would provide a definite upgrade. If we're gonna throw money at D, can we please for the love of god do it at FS? I've been begging for a legit FS since we let Deon Grant walk. I'd much rather have a JAG at LB than continue to trot JAG after disappointing JAG out there at FS. Give me someone who can free up Chinn to work underneath where he excels.

• Beer 1

Carter was a 5th round pick.  Smaller, not blazing fast, but fiesty.  He needs Shaq.  Carter is an adequate NFL starter, which is pretty good for a 5th round pick.  I think he's a little better than a JAG.  I mean, we've seen Whitehead who is kind of the ultimate JAG.

When Carter and Shaq are in the game, we play well.  Shaq is a really good LB.  He's got athleticism, the smarts, the vision, and he sat and learned from two of the best to play in the modern era with 58 and 59.  Carter can't man the fort the same way Shaq can, but he's a nice complimentary player who is smart and studies.  He just doesn't have the physicality Shaq does.

Could we upgrade?  Sure, but he's not the issue.  Getting our offense to stay on the field and score TDs is the big issue.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

10 minutes ago, Waldo said:

He looks more like a good backup than a great starter but he is good enough to start another year while we address other areas that our need is a lot more desperate...for the right price.

5 minutes ago, d-dave said:

Carter was a 5th round pick.  Smaller, not blazing fast, but fiesty.  He needs Shaq.  Carter is an adequate NFL starter, which is pretty good for a 5th round pick.  I think he's a little better than a JAG.  I mean, we've seen Whitehead who is kind of the ultimate JAG.

When Carter and Shaq are in the game, we play well.  Shaq is a really good LB.  He's got athleticism, the smarts, the vision, and he sat and learned from two of the best to play in the modern era with 58 and 59.  Carter can't man the fort the same way Shaq can, but he's a nice complimentary player who is smart and studies.  He just doesn't have the physicality Shaq does.

Could we upgrade?  Sure, but he's not the issue.  Getting our offense to stay on the field and score TDs is the big issue.

Agreed. If he is cheap, he is an acceptable level of roster weakness. We have much, much, MUCH larger holes on the roster that are actually costing us games. Those need to be addressed first. 

So we'll probably go LB in the 1st round.

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

11 minutes ago, Waldo said:

He looks more like a good backup than a great starter but he is good enough to start another year while we address other areas that our need is a lot more desperate...for the right price.

Is he worth re-signing? I'd say maybe. At a reasonable rate which may be at odds as being seen as a 1 year starter and not more. 

• Beer 1

9 minutes ago, d-dave said:

I believe you  have to look at the player when evaluating if they should get another contract and not complicate it with what the other side of the ball is doing.