• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Matt Rhule's contract won't save him

Zod

1 minute ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

I can’t find it but somewhere I read that most new owners miss on their first coaching hire. So Rhules failure isn’t unpredictable. 
Read it sometime around when Rhule was hired. 

Hmmm...I mean, that seems like a really small sample size though.  I mean, so many teams have simply belonged to certain familes for such a long period of time. 

Panthers and Jags essentially hit on the right coaches when they were formed.  Houston attempted the Panther model but I think the game has passed Capers by at that point.  So the recent expansions teams are 2 out of 3 with hires.  

Can't really keep track of all the teams that have been bought and sold. 

10 minutes ago, onmyown said:

Yes but how many were given a contract like Rhule? Perhaps it doesn’t matter, notice I said a third year AT MOST. I am not disregarding get may be gone after 2, just simply pointing to more recent college to NFL coaches.

I also think Kelly and Harbaugh came into much better situations, albeit some of that they created themselves. Their situation/franchise was coaching issues, ours was literally everything under the sun cap, talent, culture etc.

I'd give you Harbaugh.  Chip Kelly took over a 4 win team and went to the playoffs year one.   Chip Kelly's success was Chip Kelly bringing his college show to the pros.  

I always put Chip Kelly and Spurrier in the same group.  Two guys who essetnially brought there legendary college game to the pros for the world to see.  2 very different results.   

13 minutes ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

I can’t find it but somewhere I read that most new owners miss on their first coaching hire. So Rhules failure isn’t unpredictable. 
Read it sometime around when Rhule was hired. 

I know what you’re referencing and I can’t find it but it was a PFT article and it brought up recent buys and it has a point

Jimmy Haslam for the Browns took time as well as the Pegulas for Buffalo.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

6 hours ago, TheCasillas said:

He is not going to get fired. That would be a knee jerk reaction. Tepper will go hard after Watson, and most likely will land him.  If Rhule cant win with Watson, then that would be the etching on the gravestone.

The bottom line is that Rhule came in with 90% roster turnover, and turned a bottom of the league defense into an elite unit. Joe Brady had a strong offense last year and was seen as a wunderkind, but as many pundits have said, people have figured out the offense. Tepper knows this, Rhule knows this (as he mentioned three weeks back that joe brady has a lot to work on)... 

The argument of "well Rhule hired him" goes in the same vein as John Harbaugh hiring (and firing) Marc Trestman as OC. The bottom line is that this FO thought they could shortcut the process with Sam. It didnt work out, but its a risk they took. Tepper supported it. Now they are going to change course and correct. 

Rhule has at least one more year here. Regardless of how we look right now as a team, its still better than what we have seen since Rivera era post Cam injury. 

I cant think of a single coach who had a roster turnover of 90% and turn the franchise into a super bowl winning operation within 2 seasons. we are just being impatient.

This is the best post I've seen in a while. Very head on and to the point. 

All of this just shows how little most know. Rhule came in with a bottom 5 team that was filled with older players past their prime or never were that good. He has turned over most of the roster, gutted by Chico and Gettleman/Hurney and has the defense as a top 5 unit. The special teams are in Flux at punter, but it looks like we have fixed the mistake of keeping Gano and letting Butker win Super Bowls at KC. The offense needs attention, but anyone thinking we are winning this year isn't sane. The OL is the worst in the NFL. There are no trades nor draft capital left to fill the holes. This is a draft and FA issue that will happen next year. Agent 89 said plainly this week that you can't judge Darnold by his play behind this OL. QB may be another position that needs to be fixed, but he literally broke bones behind this group. The skill positions are good, but we could use an upgrade of speed at WR and still don't know what we have at TE. We need depth everywhere. Anyone not seeing the issues is blind and it takes more than 2 years to complete a total rebuild. 

29 minutes ago, bobcat91 said:

All of this just shows how little most know. Rhule came in with a bottom 5 team that was filled with older players past their prime or never were that good. He has turned over most of the roster, gutted by Chico and Gettleman/Hurney and has the defense as a top 5 unit. The special teams are in Flux at punter, but it looks like we have fixed the mistake of keeping Gano and letting Butker win Super Bowls at KC. The offense needs attention, but anyone thinking we are winning this year isn't sane. The OL is the worst in the NFL. There are no trades nor draft capital left to fill the holes. This is a draft and FA issue that will happen next year. Agent 89 said plainly this week that you can't judge Darnold by his play behind this OL. QB may be another position that needs to be fixed, but he literally broke bones behind this group. The skill positions are good, but we could use an upgrade of speed at WR and still don't know what we have at TE. We need depth everywhere. Anyone not seeing the issues is blind and it takes more than 2 years to complete a total rebuild. 

Rebuilds don’t mean much when the offense is a dumpster fire of Rhules on making and I don’t see it getting any better in 2022 and the defense will likely regress because that is normal. 
People can hide behind the “It’s only year 2 of a rebuild”, which I am getting sick of. But the evidence is that this team is at least 2 seasons away from competing because if we gotta trot Sam “You Get an Interception, Everyone Gets an Interception” Darnold in 2022 this offense is going to be limited and bad again. Doesn’t matter what happens to the offensive line. 

• Pie 3
  • Poo 2

2 minutes ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

Rebuilds don’t mean much when the offense is a dumpster fire of Rhules on making and I don’t see it getting any better in 2022 and the defense will likely regress because that is normal. 
People can hide behind the “It’s only year 2 of a rebuild”, which I am getting sick of. But the evidence is that this team is at least 2 seasons away from competing because if we gotta trot Sam “You Get an Interception, Everyone Gets an Interception” Darnold in 2022 this offense is going to be limited and bad again. Doesn’t matter what happens to the offensive line. 

Exactly! The measure should be “how many more years of rebuild” instead of “we’re only year 2 into rebuild”. 

At the moment the recent foul ups have added at least another two years to this rebuild.

• Beer 2

8 hours ago, TheCasillas said:

Well we still have year 3. Also, all of our previous coaches had a franchise quarterback. 

1. Kerry Collins
2. Jake Delhomme
3. Cam Newton

If Rhule gets one this offseason, then I'm sure we are back in the playoffs. This team only has two glaring holes. OL and QB. It's not like Rhule is out there throwing picks himself. Again, the FO tried to shortcut the process, it didnt work out. However, there is no other reason to consider firing him. Tepper is an investor and he is going to monitor his investment. 

I agree our previous coaches were all much better than Rhule at finding franchise QBs.

9 hours ago, TheCasillas said:

He is not going to get fired. That would be a knee jerk reaction. Tepper will go hard after Watson, and most likely will land him.  If Rhule cant win with Watson, then that would be the etching on the gravestone.

The bottom line is that Rhule came in with 90% roster turnover, and turned a bottom of the league defense into an elite unit. Joe Brady had a strong offense last year and was seen as a wunderkind, but as many pundits have said, people have figured out the offense. Tepper knows this, Rhule knows this (as he mentioned three weeks back that joe brady has a lot to work on)... 

The argument of "well Rhule hired him" goes in the same vein as John Harbaugh hiring (and firing) Marc Trestman as OC. The bottom line is that this FO thought they could shortcut the process with Sam. It didnt work out, but its a risk they took. Tepper supported it. Now they are going to change course and correct. 

Rhule has at least one more year here. Regardless of how we look right now as a team, its still better than what we have seen since Rivera era post Cam injury. 

I cant think of a single coach who had a roster turnover of 90% and turn the franchise into a super bowl winning operation within 2 seasons. we are just being impatient.

Kliff Kingsbury would like to have a word with you about that last statement. 

• Beer 1

17 minutes ago, TheoJay10 said:

Kliff Kingsbury would like to have a word with you about that last statement. 

Kliff Kingsbury is in his third year, and still has 40% (60% of those are starters) of the roster from 2019. What would he say about my last statement exactly?  "I almost did that"

Swing Miss GIF by MOODMAN

Edited by TheCasillas

7 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

Kliff Kingsbury is in his third year, and still has 40% (60% of those are starters) of the roster from 2019. What would he say about my last statement exactly?  "I almost did that"

Swing Miss GIF by MOODMAN

Also, AZ was quick to cut ties with their previous HC (1 year)when it was clear things weren't going to work out.  Now they are challenging for the top of their division with LA, SF and Seattle.  Sometimes, to have a successful franchise, you've gotta know when to cut bait.