• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sam's contract and our options

AU-panther

1 minute ago, Varking said:

I don't want to give up a pick just to move him or sully what we could get back in a trade by adding him to it. We just need to eat the cost and have him as the QB3 next year. He can walk away after that and then we have no more resources sunk into him. 

Yeah keep him behind Cam and Howell. 

5 minutes ago, Verge said:

It will probably unfortunately be something like 

2023 3rd round pick 
2022 5th round pick 
Sam Darnold 

In order for a team to offset his contract. Might be better just to have him as a high priced backup next year.

yeah considering the mess we're in now, looking forward I would gladly burn a 3rd and a 5th if it meant keeping gilmore and reddick

3 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

I'll say that I think Sam, minus the salary, is what you look for in a back up QB. He's no threat to take over the locker room, he doesn't push your starting QB, he knows the playbook and the tendencies of the players involved. He had some games where he was successful and in an emergency he might be able to go with the game plan and hold his own.

He doesn't belong as a starter, he gets rattled when the game is planned to exploit his weaknesses, he's had some injuries but nothing that knocks him out of the league. That pretty much sums up the second string QB on most teams. 

We're paying him already next season, no way around that. We can't realistically trade him without basically giving up more draft picks on top of the ones he's already cost us. Might as well let him ride the pine and be able to make use of him in a pinch while he hopefully gets better at film study and quits seeing ghosts.

We may have to find a good starter next season, we sure don't want to have to look for a back-up as well while paying someone big bucks to sit at home.

This

• Pie 2

2 hours ago, panthers55 said:

Darnolds contract isnt terrible if he has some utility. We have paid guys 10s of millions after they were cut or injured. Sam was good and then very bad but I dont think the staff is so down on him like fans are. I would expect him to come in and compete for the starting job next offseason. Sitting the bench which he has never done might be good for him. Plus having a vet like Cam could help him as well.  And lets be real, Cam is on an 8 game tryout.  There is no guarantee he will be great either. Lets wait until the offseason to decide what we are going to do.

Here you go bringing up Cam again. Darnold's awful contract and miserable performance has literally nothing to do with Cam....so there's no reason to bring him up (again).

The discussion is - what can we do to move on from Darnold and this terrible contract? That's a valid discussion. He serves no value compared to his cap hit next year. Also, funny you should mention - he's hurt.

And are you serious right now? You expect Sam to compete for the starting job next season? Holy poo.

Edited by therealmjl
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1