• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Parsons, Fields, Slater

slumdogmillionaire

7 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

The philosophy and mindset of this organization needs a damn re-do already

I don’t disagree but I’m still in belief that Horn will be a good player.

Right pick? Probably not but I’m arguing that people seem to think he’s a slappy.

Edited by Panthercougar68

2 hours ago, Cdparr7 said:

Justin Fields is dogshit. Should have drafted Jones.

C891ED9E-B424-4C4F-BC0F-FF11B19BE7BF.jpeg

056EB8EC-4E41-40B0-B91E-B3BCC2F7B161.jpeg

Belichick/ NE >>>>> Nagy/Bears 

The book isn’t written on Fields yet.  He is literally in his rookie year with situation around him weighing him down.  Just like with Trevor down in FL.  

Horn is a great pick.  Positional value was never there given what our roster was.  It’s the two things being true aspect.  

• Beer 1

6 minutes ago, Panthercougar68 said:

I don’t disagree but I’m still in belief that Horn will be a good player.

Right pick? Probably not but I’m arguing that people seem to think he’s a slappy.

Thats 2 separate arguments.  Nobody is busting on Horn the player just saying a pro bowl left tackle is infinitely more valuable (especially to this team) then a pro bowl corner.   Hopefully horn comes back strong and is a cornerstone of the d.  But as of now it was the completely wrong pick

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Thats 2 separate arguments.  Nobody is busting on Horn the player just saying a pro bowl left tackle is infinitely more valuable (especially to this team) then a pro bowl corner.   Hopefully horn comes back strong and is a cornerstone of the d.  But as of now it was the completely wrong pick

I’m lacking coffee this morning lol

I think all the people being critical of the Horn pick have conveniently forgotten just how bad our secondary was last year.  You cannot bring Henderson and Gilmore into any conversation about the Horn pick because neither of them were on the team at that point.  We had tried drafting lesser prospects and gotten nothing worth mentioning.  Horn fixes the CB spot.  Done.

• Pie 1

DBs have literally been the Achilles heel of our defense for decades. Now you guys think there is an abundance of good ones? Don’t be naive. If Horn comes back healthy and we have Henderson and Gilmore as well our DBs will be the talk of the league.

I don’t disagree that we need a LT but Horn could be Sherman, Ramsay, Lattimore in a year or two. You need those players to win a super bowl. Three positions imo you need to win a super bowl in this era of football. 

Elite DB

Elite QB 

Elite pass rush

We have two of the three which quite frankly is the only reason we’ve won any games this year at all and aren’t in Lions territory. We need the QB to fix the offense. A good QB doesn’t HAVE to have an elite left tackle. An elite left tackle HAS to have an elite QB. Same problem for the last 5 years with this team. Fix the QB. Win games. It’s that easy. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

17 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Both positions are considered critical in today's NFL, with left tackle being valued only slightly above cornerback.  But without a decent to good quarterback, neither one matters that much.  And good quarterbacks are very hard to come by. If we had a do over in the draft, the only choice is quarterback.   

52 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

It’s hard to tell considering WHO he was playing. I look forward to seeing him against elite QBs and WRs. I think he will be great, but a top 10 pick on CB isn’t really a franchise changer.  Like the Lions recently, Broncos last year, Jags with Ramsey, and Cards with Peterson have shown us. OL or QB should have been the pick with several options available. Slater would have been the safest, followed by Mac, with Fields having the most potential IMO. 

That’s a fair take. But Fields would have been awful on this team. Maybe not as bad as he’s been this year, but he definitely wouldn’t have been set up for any sort of success. Slater was the better option.

• Beer 1

52 minutes ago, CRA said:

Belichick/ NE >>>>> Nagy/Bears 

The book isn’t written on Fields yet.  He is literally in his rookie year with situation around him weighing him down.  Just like with Trevor down in FL.  

Horn is a great pick.  Positional value was never there given what our roster was.  It’s the two things being true aspect.  

As much as I hate to agree with literally any decision Rhule has made - I like the Horn pick. At the time, we pretty much only had Jackson to rely on as CB. Bouye was going to be suspended and had already hit his ceiling. CB was a huge issue.

Now, in hindsight - if I’d have known we were going to go stupid with trades and this FO was actually capable of finding viable play late in the draft (Taylor) - I may say otherwise.

The only other pick I would have made there over Horn (in hindsight) is Slater.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, therealmjl said:

A lot of folks are forgetting how good Horn actually was playing.

Doesn’t matter, have you seen how bad our Oline is playing? Even without horn, what is the bigger issue that’s been costing us a lot of games this season? So far I only count 1 game and that was the Redskins game that was lost because of bad DB play.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

39 minutes ago, therealmjl said:

That’s a fair take. But Fields would have been awful on this team. Maybe not as bad as he’s been this year, but he definitely wouldn’t have been set up for any sort of success. Slater was the better option.

Fields needed to sit for a moment like Mahomes, Mac was the most Pro Ready day 1. Although I wonder how Mac would have faired on the Beard with Naggy. Slater was definitely the best option. Day 1 starter at LT.

• Beer 1

5 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Fields needed to sit for a moment like Mahomes, Mac was the most Pro Ready day 1. Although I wonder how Mac would have faired on the Beard with Naggy. Slater was definitely the best option. Day 1 starter at LT.

Mac would have been awful in CHI. I don’t think any young quarterback could have gone there and been successful.

• Beer 1

I would say Slater again but I honestly don't don't think any rookie would thrive with the Panthers coaching.

Mac would have been ruined in this offense. At least Fields could have run for his life, hardly the stuff of dreams tho.

Parsons would have been another D player that would have resulted in SSDD. Our D can't save how bad the O is in personnel and especially coaching.

At this point I'm not sure anyone could save this mess but it should have been Slater 10 out of 10 times with the ridiculously foolish Darnold trade.

Hindsight is only valuable in what it can teach you to make better decisions today. One thing we can learn is our scouts had too low of a grade on Slater. Our college scouting department has needed to be significantly improved for a while. I'm not going to be able to find the quote again, but I seen to recall reading that we had the same over promotion for loyalty throughout the scouting department under Hurney that got him the GM job.

Usually, when you hire a new GM, there's massive turnover in the scouting department after the first draft. I don't recall reading about that happening in the Spring of 2021. 

• Beer 1