• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Person: Rhule could be next, but probably not this year

Mr. Scot

Panthers fire Brady, but Rhule could be the next to go

Excerpts...

It’s crazy how quickly the brightest, shiniest object can lose its luster.

We were reminded of that Sunday afternoon when Matt Rhule fired offensive coordinator Joe Brady not long after the 1 p.m. ET games had started during the Panthers’ lone off-weekend of the season.

The next bright, shiny object to go will be Rhule if he can’t replicate the third-year success he had at Temple and Baylor, the latter of which just won a Big 12 championship under Rhule’s successor.

The Panthers (5-7) have lost seven of nine games since their 3-0 start, but the sense here is that Rhule will be back for a third year. That said, owner David Tepper is not long on patience, and the Panthers haven’t been to the playoffs since 2017, the year before the $16 billion hedge fund manager bought the team.

The clock is ticking on Rhule, and loudly.

Rhule’s decision to hire Brady — who was college football’s “it” coordinator after helping lead Joe Burrow and LSU to the 2019 national championship — will go in the loss column for Rhule when Tepper is making his pros-and-cons list.

Rhule gave Brady a three-year contract — believed to be worth about $2 million annually — to call the Panthers’ offensive plays, despite the fact he’d never worked with him and the then-30-year-old had never done so in a full-time capacity at any level.

Bridgewater and Brady were close, although that didn’t stop Teddy Two Gloves from throwing Brady under the bus. Bridgewater indicated Brady was late getting a play called during a critical moment at Minnesota last year, then dumped on Brady last offseason by telling the “All Things Covered” podcast the Panthers didn’t practice the two-minute or red zone offenses.

By all accounts, Brady is a smart, hard-working coach. But he seemed overmatched on game days, from his inability to make effective halftime adjustments to poor game management. The Vikings’ example cited by Bridgewater was far from the only time the Panthers seemed to be struggling to decide on a play, while Robby Anderson was livid when Brady didn’t start running double moves when the Eagles’ defensive backs were sitting on routes in a Week 5 loss this season.

Brady was the rare Rhule assistant who didn’t work for him at Temple or Baylor. Rhule was trying to make a splash hire while working for an owner who loves such things. It didn’t work out.

But if Rhule can’t figure out the quarterback dilemma, fix the offensive line and start winning, the next splash hire to get fired will be him.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

Florio said this morning on PFT that he’s been talking with league insiders and Rhule is next. Florio has been pretty accurate this year with his info compared to years past so I wonder who his new source is.

of course barring we win like 2 or 3 games down the stretch 

Edited by Panthercougar68
  • Pie 8

We just saw who was next after firing the OC, we going to promote that guy again if we fire Rhule?

The fact we haven't started cleaning thr front office up tells me all I need to know about whatever 2.0 we got headed our way next year. Like a chain of overpromoted dog crap. Fug you Hurney, this abomination is your unfortunately lasting parting gift.

Edited by Waldo
  • Pie 1

I think Person is being generous with his timeline on Rhule.  As I said yesterday, my gut feeling is that Rhule will have to either win out or can only lose once in the remaining games to have any chance to keep his job going into next season.

Tepper is not JR.  He has shown he has no qualms or hesitancy to attempt to fix a mistake once it is identified, costs be damned.  He has looked about as miserable as he possibly could every time we have seen him on gamedays this season and we know from Sheena Quick's leaked texts, he has already stepped in and forced moves to be made at QB when Rhule was the one that created the problem to begin with.

If this was the past ownership, sure, I think he gets another year.  I don't get that feeling with Tepper.  Money is nothing to him and if he feels he has made a bad investment, he has no issue cutting his losses.  And again, Rhule hasn't shown any tangible signs of improvement as a coach to this point.  The fact that his decisions to mostly ignore offense while missing wildly at the most important position on a football team, not once, but twice, negates any improvement the defense has made.  And anyone with eyes can see every Sunday, it's not that we're outmatched physically, because talent-wise there are few teams better than us from top to bottom (outside of OL)...  we are simply being outcoached.

• Pie 6

3 minutes ago, Waldo said:

We just saw who was next after firing the OC, we going to promote that guy again if we fire Rhule?

The fact we haven't started cleaning thr front office up tells me all I need to know about whatever 2.0 we got headed our way next year. Like a chain of overpromoted dog crap. Fug you Hurney, this abomination is your unfortunately lasting parting gift.

Nah, I don't blame Hurney. This is ALL Tepper. He's the check writer and ultimate shot caller. How he didn't have enough information available to him to immediately fire Marty Hurney is baffling to me and that's on him. If he needed a place holder to buy time while he figured out who the long-term person at GM was going to be, fine. But you tie Hurney's hands. Tightly. You don't let him influence you on who to hire as the next HC, that's for damn sure.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Nah, I don't blame Hurney. This is ALL Tepper. He's the check writer and ultimate shot caller. How he didn't have enough information available to him to immediately fire Marty Hurney is baffling to me and that's on him. If he needed a place holder to buy time while he figured out who the long-term person at GM was going to be, fine. But you tie Hurney's hands. Tightly. You don't let him influence you on who to hire as the next HC, that's for damn sure.

You are 100% right but Tepper is here for better or worse. He kept Hurney and his 'experience' has led us to a spot where we have another crappy GM and an even worse HC than Rivera, certainly less experienced when hired.

All I can hope from Tepper is that this giant failure has taught him something or this team is fugged for a long time. But absolutely fug Tepper for being a complete idiot and relying on that moron to hire other morons who then hired more morons.

Edited by Waldo
  • Pie 1

22 minutes ago, Panthercougar68 said:

Florio said this morning on PFT that he’s been talking with league insiders and Rhule is next. Florio has been pretty accurate this year with his info compared to years past so I wonder who his new source is.

of course barring we win like 2 or 3 games down the stretch 

There are some pretty good head coaching options available this offseason.

Bypassing those guys in favor of giving Matt Rhule another year would be a very Panthery thing to do.

• Pie 8

We have the Falcons on Sunday at 1 p.m. If we lose, we'll have an announcement of Rhule's firing by 1 p.m. on Monday.

I think we're that close. Another loss and it's hit the road. Might survive a loss to Buffalo if we win vs. Atlanta. Loss to the Bucs (and that's almost a guaranteed loss) and he's probably out. Lose to New Orleans (a team that has been falling apart all year) and Rhule is on the street.

Personally, I don't think Rhule makes it past this coming Monday.

• Pie 4