• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If Matt Rhule is the coach next season, I will…

hepcat

Meh…either some of you follow really successful franchises in other sports, cares way too much to begin with, or you think the Panthers were a lot better than they were. They weren’t ever that great or relevant IMO. This was just another season. 

This losing streak has isn’t that much different than early 2000 one or 2010 stretch…I mean we are talking like 2-3 wins difference during those losing phases? Even before we knew cam was turning it around that last stretch was miserable just the same.

Yea this feels pretty normal to me…maybe another half decade of 5 wins and I will not bother anymore.

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, onmyown said:

Meh…either some of you follow really successful franchises in other sports, cares way too much to begin with, or you think the Panthers were a lot better than they were. They weren’t ever that great or relevant IMO. This was just another season. 

This losing streak has isn’t that much different than early 2000 one or 2010 stretch…I mean we are talking like 2-3 wins difference during those losing phases? Even before we knew cam was turning it around that last stretch was miserable just the same.

Yea this feels pretty normal to me…maybe another half decade of 5 wins and I will not bother anymore.

There’s a different feeling right now than those past bad seasons. It’s an air of hopelessness. The Panthers have been a bad before but there were reasons to have hope. Even in 2001 the team had more hope than now because Seifert was obviously getting fired. Right now there’s a new owner in place who has done nothing but lose fans and produce a bad product on the field for 4 straight years. 

The Panthers management and coaching has made many bad football decisions. Just head scratching bad decisions that even casual fans can look at and be like, why? Trading for Darnold and picking up his $19m option despite the fact he has been the worst starting QB in the NFL his entire career tops the list. 

Now we’re getting fed articles by trusted team reporters that Rhule is likely getting a third season. We’re going to have to sit through yet another very likely losing season before there’s any hope of another coaching staff coming in to clean this mess up. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

27 minutes ago, hepcat said:

There’s a different feeling right now than those past bad seasons. It’s an air of hopelessness. The Panthers have been a bad before but there were reasons to have hope. Even in 2001 the team had more hope than now because Seifert was obviously getting fired. Right now there’s a new owner in place who has done nothing but lose fans and produce a bad product on the field for 4 straight years. 

The Panthers management and coaching has made many bad football decisions. Just head scratching bad decisions that even casual fans can look at and be like, why? Trading for Darnold and picking up his $19m option despite the fact he has been the worst starting QB in the NFL his entire career tops the list. 

Now we’re getting fed articles by trusted team reporters that Rhule is likely getting a third season. We’re going to have to sit through yet another very likely losing season before there’s any hope of another coaching staff coming in to clean this mess up. 

I mean going through 7 wins then 4, 8, 7,  1 and then 7 again…wasn’t much different. Yes at the end Fox came in and surprisingly Delhomme put in from desperation was actual just some random success was great but it still took a span of 5 or even 6 absolutely miserable losing seasons. No one saw 2003 coming I know I didn’t…it was misery up until that point.

Hell even the 2005 stretch I left out was misery. Taking out double trouble 2008 12-5 season with the epic meltdown by Jake that stretch was 8,7,8,2,6,7 won years of misery. Just taking out a single season. Again no one knew cam would come and turn it around. Say you did though and we call that last 7 win season a wash…that’s still more or less another 5 or so years of misery.

The panthers have gone through lulls and then a few years of success and then back to lulls. It’s almost on que. Seems normal to me, we still don’t know what the future will hold. And in that sense I don’t see a difference. 

I think a lot of new fans from the cam era never experienced them and don’t know the Panthers outside of cam. 

But feels right at home for me. Even with a given losing season next year. The lulls would have to surpass 5-6 years for me to be like ok now we are different than we ever have been. This is bad. Now yea, another few years after that of losing or mediocrity and it will feel worse to me.

Yes it sucks but it is NOT unprecedented in the slightest. The Panthers were never that great consistently or even close to it. Just my opinion.

Edited by onmyown

1 hour ago, hepcat said:

Right now there’s a new owner in place who has done nothing but lose fans and produce a bad product on the field for 4 straight years. 

The Panthers management and coaching has made many bad football decisions.

If rumors in the media are true, Rhule will be back again next year.

So, until Tepper decides to start taking his ownership responsibilities more seriously, I'll be pressing the pause button on the Panthers. 

Plenty of NFL action to enjoy without getting caught up with the misery and dysfunction that the Panthers have wallowed in under Matt Rhule and David "T-Man" Tepper.  A franchise record 4 consecutive losing seasons and counting. 

T-Man is officially going on my Panthers Wall of Shame if he doesn't find a new HC for 2022. 

Edited by NanuqoftheNorth
  • Pie 2

1 hour ago, onmyown said:

I mean going through 7 wins then 4, 8, 7,  1 and then 7 again…wasn’t much different. Yes at the end Fox came in and surprisingly Delhomme put in from desperation was actual just some random success was great but it still took a span of 5 or even 6 absolutely miserable losing seasons. No one saw 2003 coming I know I didn’t…it was misery up until that point.

Hell even the 2005 stretch I left out was misery. Taking out double trouble 2008 12-5 season with the epic meltdown by Jake that stretch was 8,7,8,2,6,7 won years of misery. Just taking out a single season. Again no one knew cam would come and turn it around. Say you did though and we call that last 7 win season a wash…that’s still more or less another 5 or so years of misery.

The panthers have gone through lulls and then a few years of success and then back to lulls. It’s almost on que. Seems normal to me, we still don’t know what the future will hold. And in that sense I don’t see a difference. 

I think a lot of new fans from the cam era never experienced them and don’t know the Panthers outside of cam. 

But feels right at home for me. Even with a given losing season next year. The lulls would have to surpass 5-6 years for me to be like ok now we are different than we ever have been. This is bad. Now yea, another few years after that of losing or mediocrity and it will feel worse to me.

Yes it sucks but it is NOT unprecedented in the slightest. The Panthers were never that great consistently or even close to it. Just my opinion.

Completely disagree.  I've been following this team since I was a kid in the 90s.  This is the worst stretch of Panthers football ever.  We're moving into joke territory like where the Lions live.  We've always at least been mediocre.

JR was never the best owner, but he was also never the worst.  He promised us a Super Bowl win in 10 years, and did everything he could to make that happen.  Sure, being a Panther fan has had its fair share of disappointment.  But this is a completely different feeling entirely.  This franchise is rapidly approaching hopelessness.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

I will still watch. Jesus, we've never had back to back winning seasons. We're not the Patriots on a bad two year spill. We're the Carolina Panthers. A joke.

No "perfect coach" is going to land here and make us a dynasty. Cam is done. Sam is garbage. No rookie QB is going to save our soul. The D can't win us a trophy. We've never had a long running killer O. We barely even have superstars.

So yes, I'll keep watching because it's how I've spent my Sundays and how I will continue to do so.