• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Players still defending Rhule

Smithers

This is what blows my mind - we have heard Gilmore, Cam and Reddick show support for Rhule recently.  Add Burns to that list, with Shaq and Abdullah also reaffirming the culture is good.  

Maybe Joe Person is blowing smoke, trying to get clicks for The Athletic at a time when the future of that organization is in doubt after the buyout.  Who knows for sure..but the players sure are standing up for Rhule right now.  I’m curious how many team leaders Tepper has spoken to and if that has factored into his decision.  

Im not a fan of Rhule, and think he should be fired.  Just found this interesting and putting it out there for conversation.  

https://www.espn.com/blog/carolina-panthers/post/_/id/35995/brian-burns-matt-rhule-100-the-coach-to-turn-carolina-panthers-around

• Pie 2

Doesn't matter. All that needs to be said or seen has been on the field. When other struggling teams are out there motivated and lighting us up while we are going through the motions something is off. You can say the locker room is fine but when teams like the Giants and Dolphins are flat out dragging us up and down the field that is the only thing people remember. Hey even the lowly Jets took a lead on the Bucs into the fourth quarter while they took us to the woodshed. How are we lower than the Jets? 🤦‍♂️

Edited by frankw
  • Pie 3
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 2
  • Poo 1

Fans don't buy tickets because the locker room is not toxic.  Rhule is a good salesman, and he has convinced the locker room that it is "us against the world." Rhule is chummy with his top players, and they like him.  So what?  This is a billion dollar organization, and most billion dollar organizations are not left to the 25-year olds in the company to make decisions. The bottom line:  If the fans are not happy, they should not be happy.

• Pie 3

I actually think part of the problem for the first two years is Rhule is a very “players coach” type of HC. It sounds like his practices are lax. It doesn’t sound like there is much in the way of “correction” with regard to team deficiencies. 

Maybe that is part of his shtick. He gets the players on his side, then they buy in, then maybe his style of play works. Idk…seems like that works at the college level. But if your scheme sucks in the NFL not sure how much “support and player buy in” matters. 

If former players were sticking up for Rhule too, I'd say we may be wrong. But seeing former Panthers who are inside the building, or have access to guys inside the building, be about as vocal as possible about the coaching on Twitter? Seems like a red flag to me and they're probably voicing the "real" talk from current players who feel like they can't. 

Smitty, JStew, Tre Boston, feel like even Charles Johnson at one point on Twitter have all said things. I've posted here that I've heard Luke hates Rhule.  Feel like our current players might like Rhule the person, but doesn't mean they like Rhule's coaching and can't really question it in the media. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

It's the professional thing to do in this sport. Even if the staff are a pack of losers, and they sure are, any statements about that would have negatives attached to their careers by stating the obvious. He is a malcontent or lockers  distraction, toxic for the culture.

The play on the field is enough said. The roster building, trades and roster management is just more confirmation  that this group is not just bad but awful at their jobs. But hey, no off the field stuff so that's feel good angle I guess. Good guy losers, that is everyone Rhule brought on. 

Edited by Waldo
  • Pie 2

9 minutes ago, unicar15 said:

I actually think part of the problem for the first two years is Rhule is a very “players coach” type of HC. It sounds like his practices are lax. It doesn’t sound like there is much in the way of “correction” with regard to team deficiencies. 

Maybe that is part of his shtick. He gets the players on his side, then they buy in, then maybe his style of play works. Idk…seems like that works at the college level. But if your scheme sucks in the NFL not sure how much “support and player buy in” matters. 

Could be.  You are right - Rhule is a smooth talking guy who is one heck of a salesman.  Could just be that some of these players haven’t removed their rose colored glasses yet. 

• Beer 1

10 minutes ago, CarolinaNCSU said:

If former players were sticking up for Rhule too, I'd say we may be wrong. But seeing former Panthers who are inside the building, or have access to guys inside the building, be about as vocal as possible about the coaching on Twitter? Seems like a red flag to me and they're probably voicing the "real" talk from current players who feel like they can't. 

Smitty, JStew, Tre Boston, feel like even Charles Johnson at one point on Twitter have all said things. I've posted here that I've heard Luke hates Rhule.  Feel like our current players might like Rhule the person, but doesn't mean they like Rhule's coaching and can't really question it in the media. 

This. Folks making millions of dollars generally aren't jeopardizing that by criticizing their employer. I don't blame them, but it is what it is.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

27 minutes ago, frankw said:

Doesn't matter. All that needs to be said or seen has been on the field. When other struggling teams are out there motivated and lighting us up while we are going through the motions something is off. You can say the locker room is fine but when teams like the Giants and Dolphins are flat out dragging us up and down the field that is the only thing people remember. Hey even the lowly Jets took a lead on the Bucs into the fourth quarter while they took us to the woodshed. How are we lower than the Jets? 🤦‍♂️

This, 100%.

Hes Right GIF by MOODMAN

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1