• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Great Pickett Poll

davos

Do You Want Pickett as our franchise QB? Added Q: Regardless— would Corral and/or Willis be y/n?  

149 members have voted

1. 1. Let’s get it on record. Pickett—yay or nay?

Watching the mid-range throws in practice just give me pause.  He doesn't seem to have authority over the throw.  Every throw just lands soft with no zip.  I don't like seeing that on the 15-30 yarders.  Those floating sideliners get picked in the big leagues all day.  His highlights and games show he can make good decisions on the run and have good downfield placement when set, but I just never see the true command over the throw/accuracy wise.  

• Pie 2

6 hours ago, NYPantherFan said:

The biggest issue I have at this scenario is taking Pickett at 6 with no assets to address the Oline on day two in an extremely deep class. You want to trade back and take a shot at Pickett? Fine.

That said I'm taking Willis > Pickett at 6. Give me something to be exciting to watch on Sundays 

Me too. If we don't address the OL long term in FA at LT or center, then I think we have to take advantage of this class of OL with #6. 

If we are going to go QB, give me Willis over Pickett. Pickett reminds me too much of Darnold only just a little better. I don't think Willis is anything special, but if we're bound and determined to get a QB, then Willis would be the more entertaining option.

• Beer 2

57 minutes ago, davos said:

Watching the mid-range throws in practice just give me pause.  He doesn't seem to have authority over the throw.  Every throw just lands soft with no zip.  I don't like seeing that on the 15-30 yarders.  Those floating sideliners get picked in the big leagues all day.  His highlights and games show he can make good decisions on the run and have good downfield placement when set, but I just never see the true command over the throw/accuracy wise.  

The small hands thing is in his head, which is bad. Let's me know he's prone to have a long memory and let things get to him and stay with him. We'd see lots of funks that take weeks to get out of. 

2 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Do yourself a favor and see how many day 3 qbs there are starting in the NFL.  I'll wait...........

You could even take it a step further and research how many HBCU qbs there have been in the history of the NFL

Starting is your bar? Low bar. I've already posted the answer to your first question, and even included day 2 on another topic. I don't think you know, unless all you are looking at is 2021 starters (13%). (sample size of 1 outlier season)

8 of the NFL franchises have QBs beyond day 2 as their franchise leading QBs. You tossed out day 2 as well. So, you wanted to boost first round picks or you think there is no chance Aqeel Glass can go in the 3rd round? Only 18 franchises have QBs in the 1st round as their franchise leaders. Not very dominant.

If you knew more than 2021, you wouldn't have made this post. Doubt you would ever highlight an NFL season with 10 to 16 starters that were not selected on the first 2 days of the draft. You likely think these seasons never happened. 

Of the Panthers 11 QBs to lead the team, 5 of them have not been selected on the first 2 days of the draft.

On average, how many NFL starters during the SB era are outside the 3rd round for an NFL season? I've given you some hints. You could probably guess it with the facts I have just given you.

As for your second question, HBCU starting NFL QBs are rare. So, when scouts notice one and put them on the NFL draft radar, you better take notice. The last 3 all went to the SB. 2 of them won the SB. Since the opening up of the passing game in the late 70s, these have been the only 3 HBCU starting NFL QBs.

3 for 3 on SBs  is pretty good, right? Rare finds are hard to come by.

Do your research before you think you know. You're welcome.

Edited by CPantherKing

14 hours ago, RJK said:

If the panthers are hell bent on a QB I prefer Willis.  But none of the QBs wow me 

I agree. If we are hell bent on taking a QB at #6 i would rather have Willis. He may not be a day one starter but it appears he has a tremendous  upside. 

Drafting  Willis would require patience, something the present Panthers organization seems to lack. It would be sad if they passed on him  attemping to get a QB to start right off and he became a star in the league  a few years later. 

• Beer 1

5 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Do yourself a favor and see how many day 3 qbs there are starting in the NFL.  I'll wait...........

You could even take it a step further and research how many HBCU qbs there have been in the history of the NFL

No doubt. I just don't trust any of the current crop to be franchise QBs. I'd rather gamble a day 3 pick on Aqeel Glass who looks to have a tremendous amount of upside compared to other QB prospects that'll go on day 2.

I'd also like to point out re: HBCU QBs the history of racism in the NFL that extends to today.

6 hours ago, RJK said:

Exactly. U gotta draft the player with the highest ceiling and Willis has superior physical attributes with room to grow in his decision making. Pickett at best is a career game manager imo while Willis has the potential to be a game changer 

yea...thats just me...or get Huntley from Baltimore...but that would mean rhule giving up mega picks to further jeopardize our future...QB has evolved from the standard pocket passer...QB has to lend more to the game more than just passing...especially if ur line sucks...i.e. see Burrow.  The qb position is evolving,,, no longer a staunch line that can hold mufkers off for 4 seconds...  but we know this dumb sob is gonna take his boy...hes been wrong in every decision....

Edited by Pimpdaddy
  • Beer 1