Jump to content
  • Welcome!

    Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

    Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

    Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

     

The Watson Thread - Part Deux


Zod
 Share

Recommended Posts

it hurts the ego to see him go to the Saints if you're on of those fans who got your hopes up for a year maybe, but there are no shortcuts in the NFL.  Saints get one or two cracks at the ring before DW is making $55 million a year (it's clear he wants to get paaaaaaid and takes these meetings as a way to pressure his preferred team to up their offer) and they lose their talent with no means to replace them,  while we build up a pretty good defense alongside finally addressing the offensive line, and then we'll be set by bringing in a veteran QB or drafting a rookie.  This is better in the long run even if it doesn't look like it

Edited by MVPccaffrey
  • Poo 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, UNCrules2187 said:

Honestly I would understand the interest in the Saints if Payton was still the HC, but between Payton no longer being there, what they can offer (#28 pick, later first round picks), and the offensive pieces they could lose in FA/in a trade deal (Marcus Williams just left for the Ravens, Ramcyzk would have to be included in a deal, someone may pay Armstead a boatload in FA), I honestly don't see the appeal. But I guess that's just the Panther Blue tinted glasses I've got on.

Ramcyzk would be something like an immediate 27 million dead cap hit if hes traded.  They JUST restructured his contract to attempt to get under the cap.  I just dont see the resources there on NO's side.  Especially compared to what we can offer. 

  • Pie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, MVPccaffrey said:

it hurts the ego to see him go to the Saints if you're on of those fans who got your hopes up for a year maybe, but there are no shortcuts in the NFL.  Saints get one or two cracks at the ring before DW is making $55 million a year and they lose their talent with no means to replace them,  while we build up a pretty good defense alongside finally addressing the offensive line, and then we'll be set by bringing in a veteran QB or drafting a rookie.  This is better in the long run even if it doesn't look like it

Sounds great if you don't understand how the NFL works. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Smittymoose said:

It's a job. Why shouldn't he maximize his compensation. You would, wouldn't you? 

In his situation where he’s lucky to even be a free man I personally would be humbled and consider myself lucky anyone wants me on a team. But then again I’ve never been tempted at this level so that’s purely anecdotal I guess 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, RJK said:

In his situation where he’s lucky to even be a free man I personally would be humbled and consider myself lucky anyone wants me on a team. But then again I’ve never been tempted at this level so that’s purely anecdotal I guess 

But he has multiple suitors that would gladly take him. Why shouldn't he maximize his value? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Saints just lost a key defensive player ... 

 

Ravens signed FS Marcus Williams, formerly of the Saints, to a five-year, $70 million contract. 

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports the deal includes $37 million guaranteed. A second-round pick by the Saints back in 2017, Williams has been a quality starter from day one and was one of the best players available in free agency. Only 25, Williams is the kind of player it makes sense to splurge on in free agency. Baltimore's secondary was decimated by injuries last season, but there is still plenty of talent there and Williams only adds to that. The Ravens' defense has a good shot to get back on track in 2022. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, roaddog96 said:

I mean it's a wise move on his part to talk to the teams. For a year, he's been persona non grata to all the NFL teams except us and the Dolphins last year. All the teams coming up now would want to talk so he should listen, that's being smart about your business. But no one will outbid Tepper at this point if it gets to that. I believe that the reason why the deal isn't done is because we are trying to not give up players and Houston wants it so now people who they were telling no to, they are now allowing to speak to try and force more. 

He still controls where he goes with the NTC.  So why is he meeting with teams he knows will be completely gutted if they somehow can put together enough assets to even make the trade for him?  Or teams that in reality, have no way to clear the cap space for him?

At this point, the longer he strings it out, the less assets we can add to help (like Armstead) if we're waiting on him, and the more he drives up the price for whatever team he agrees to go to.  And say HOU likes our offer the best...  he can still tell them, after having met with us, that he doesn't want to come here.  It just doesn't make sense.

  • Beer 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just hope that after Watson signs with another team that this experience gives tepper real brass balls that he speaks about.

Tepper should have fired Rhule during the season last year but he didn't because he didn't have the balls to do it.

Tepper hasn't even came out and address the fans at all since the season has ended..... And now he lost Watson because of Matt Rhule .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, joemac said:

Ramcyzk would be something like an immediate 27 million dead cap hit if hes traded.  They JUST restructured his contract to attempt to get under the cap.  I just dont see the resources there on NO's side.  Especially compared to what we can offer. 

Only guys with any measure of value they can move:

Payton Turner

CGJ

Marcus Davenport

Paulson Adebo

Pete Werner (if he has any real value)

 

That whole package isn't even worth the 6th overall pick by itself. 

  • Pie 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Proudiddy said:

He still controls where he goes with the NTC.  So why is he meeting with teams he knows will be completely gutted if they somehow can put together enough assets to even make the trade for him?  Or teams that in reality, have no way to clear the cap space for him?

At this point, the longer he strings it out, the less assets we can add to help (like Armstead) if we're waiting on him, and the more he drives up the price for whatever team he agrees to go to.  And say HOU likes our offer the best...  he can still tell them, after having met with us, that he doesn't want to come here.  It just doesn't make sense.

It's not just about assets, it might just be about getting more $$$ on an immediate contract re-structure.  If it was just about winning he'd have narrowed it down by now so teams wouldn't have to bid against others. He clearly wants to get paid as much as possible, which is fine, but is going to be hell for whoever gets him when they won't even have draft picks for a while.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...