• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

From observer’s Willis & Alexander why Panthers declined Watson contract demand

raleigh-panther

For a guy that still has 22 civil suits, missing a complete season, facing suspension, and everything that is involved in that situation, it amazes me that Watson could be so demanding on contract negotiations. He wasn't happy that teams still wanted him and that he already had a hefty contract, so he pitted 3 division rivals against each other in negotiations, and don't forget Tampa was very much mentioned before Brady came back. I feel he dropped the Browns originally as he didn't feel he had as much leverage as he did with the division rivalry. Browns then called to make a lucrative offer, amazingly he changes his mind, and this guy walks away with the biggest guaranteed deal in NFL history!

Edited by TheProcess

14 hours ago, raleigh-panther said:

But in a stunning turn of events, Watson decided to waive his no-trade clause for the Cleveland Browns, who were earlier told they were no longer under consternation. Watson changed his mind when Cleveland agreed to give him a five-year, fully guaranteed $230 million contract, the highest guarantee in NFL history.

Excuse me but is Proof-reading a lost art in the Charlotte Observer?

I mean...

"they were no longer under consternation."????  🤦‍♂️

Edited by glenwo2
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, Mother Grabber said:

Cleveland Browns, who were earlier told they were no longer under consternation. 

New Girl Facepalm GIF by HULU

My only other reply in this thread(above) is regarding the lack of PROOFREADING going on.    And these are supposed to be journalists, too.  🤨

Edited by glenwo2
  • Pie 1

All in all this Watson situation worked out perfectly for our Panthers.

We aren't stuck with that stupid contract the Browns just gave him, and we have a better chance of getting rid of Rhule next offseason.

We have a team with young talent, and have pick 6 and future picks to continue to build this roster.

We have made good acquisitions this offseason with some money left to potentially add more.

Brady will win the division anyway until he finally retires. We continue to build until then.

Saints just pushed even more money back again this offseason. We are all waiting for that to come crashing down, and it will happen. Dennis Payton is gone, and Allen is not a good HC. This team will soon tear down to rebuild and their fans will again wear paper bags.

The Falcons just pissed off their Franchise QB whose contract is an albatross on a team lacking in talent. I do like their HC though.

If we can find our franchise QB in the next couple years, we are in better position for post Brady success than the other teams in our division. 

• Pie 1

8 hours ago, TheProcess said:

For a guy that still has 22 civil suits, missing a complete season, facing suspension, and everything that is involved in that situation, it amazes me that Watson could be so demanding on contract negotiations.

Amazes me the Texans didn't take the same path as Browns initially took with Baker Mayfield...

...namely, " sorry son if you want to earn suit up now" 😎...

...that said, will be interesting to see if Browns are able to collect on their investment...

...Whip-It-Out's true character will come into play, just a matter of when 😎

Question:  does the League/Office have ratify this contract?

Put another way, might they void it on competitive terms 

😉👌

• Poo 2

10 minutes ago, SizzleBuzz said:

Amazes me the Texans didn't take the same path as Browns initially took with Baker Mayfield...

...that said, will be interesting to see if Browns are able to collect on their investment...

😉👌

How does it feel to be wrong😂. Told ya Watson was getting traded. Poor guy, just post some more emojis dummy! LMAO

• Flames 1

20 minutes ago, BurnNChinn said:

How does it feel to be wrong😂. Told ya Watson was getting traded. Poor guy, just post some more emojis dummy! LMAO

Look at his dumb ass picture he made for this forum. He's always trying to be cute with his wonder woman helmets for Cam and now that whip it out jersey. He's a loser

23 hours ago, uncfan888 said:

They must've realized the saints and falcons couldn't do that and asked us if we could. Once we declined, they called Cleveland and gave them the chance 

Bingo! These are my exact feeling. The Panthers were already kicked back to the curb as Watsons third choice. Adding fuel to the flame was the long contract demand, the straw that broke the camels back.

The Panthers have been known to make some boneheaded decisions in the past, to their credit they avoided making another one.

2 hours ago, SizzleBuzz said:

😉👌

Russ got traded because we wanted to, Watson got paid and traded because he wanted to, Rodgers got paid and chose to stay. How are you feeling over there? 

• Pie 1