• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Observation: Panthers want to Draft a QB but...

Doc Holiday

Seeing how the squad has botched the attempt at getting a QB in the past few years, they need to chill for a sec. Leave it alone for a year, you haven't had success with it recently. Get your OL and DL up to snuff. I know they have an itch to draft yet another defensive player, trade down, get more picks and grab a high graded OL. I mean, you've neglected it for years now, it's time to pay major attention to it now. You're welcome.

32 minutes ago, Panther'sBigD said:

Everyone keeps saying that, but what's actually happened so far says otherwise. 

General consensus is that it's no longer "my way or the highway" with him. He's actually choosing to (or being forced to) listen to other voices in the building.

But technically at least he still has final say, and could use it when it comes time for the draft.

12 hours ago, Doc Holiday said:

Based on moves by the Panthers and Other teams… other teams in the top 5 do too.

The Panthers do want to Draft a QB and I do believe that Pickett is their top choice. This is based on the fact that his name just keeps popping up with the Panthers a lot, also tie ins with Tepper being a big Pitt Booster and Rhule previously trying to get him to Temple makes me believe this is their guy.

The issue is many teams ahead of the Panthers will be looking to Draft a QB early.

The picks in front of and around the Panthers:

1. Jags - not looking for a QB

2. Detroit - Not looking for a QB?

3. Houston Texans - Definitely looking at a QB

4. jets - Not looking for QB

5. Giants - possibly looking for QB

6. Panthers - definitely looking for QB

7. Giants (from trade) - possible QB

8. Atlanta - Definitely looking for QB.

So the Texans I’d say are definitely gonna Draft a QB at this point. The wild Card is the Giants at 5. I could see them moving on from Jones at this point and I could also see them trading with Atlanta if they’re not.

This is a contingency that the Panthers have to account for… so with that said I believe the Panthers are going to have a trade in place on the day of the first round of the draft to trade for a QB if one we like doesn’t fall to us at 6. 

imo there are only 2 QB’s worth a top 10 pick in the draft. Outside of that we’d be reaching terribly.

The Texans really like Davis Mills. If he had stayed in school, he could have credibly been the first QB off the board in this draft.

• Pie 1

12 hours ago, Doc Holiday said:

Based on moves by the Panthers and Other teams… other teams in the top 5 do too.

The Panthers do want to Draft a QB and I do believe that Pickett is their top choice. This is based on the fact that his name just keeps popping up with the Panthers a lot, also tie ins with Tepper being a big Pitt Booster and Rhule previously trying to get him to Temple makes me believe this is their guy.

The issue is many teams ahead of the Panthers will be looking to Draft a QB early.

The picks in front of and around the Panthers:

1. Jags - not looking for a QB

2. Detroit - Not looking for a QB?

3. Houston Texans - Definitely looking at a QB

4. jets - Not looking for QB

5. Giants - possibly looking for QB

6. Panthers - definitely looking for QB

7. Giants (from trade) - possible QB

8. Atlanta - Definitely looking for QB.

So the Texans I’d say are definitely gonna Draft a QB at this point. The wild Card is the Giants at 5. I could see them moving on from Jones at this point and I could also see them trading with Atlanta if they’re not.

This is a contingency that the Panthers have to account for… so with that said I believe the Panthers are going to have a trade in place on the day of the first round of the draft to trade for a QB if one we like doesn’t fall to us at 6. 

imo there are only 2 QB’s worth a top 10 pick in the draft. Outside of that we’d be reaching terribly.

I'm not sure the Texans will be looking at QB with the #3 pick.   BPA might make the most sense for them. They drafted Davis Mills in the 3rd last year and he didn't look too bad. 

A lot of these QBs being talked about this year IMO would have been close to 3rd round picks if they were in the draft last year. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Cornflake said:

How do you figure? The consensus of it being a "weak" class is not the same as it not having 1st round worthy players. Corral, Pickett are worthy of a top 10-15 pick no question. The depth is not deep this class at the position, but there are some good QBs in this class, make no mistake. 

QB talent in this draft is very deep. May be the deepest in the last 2 decades. You have many QBs with NFL staying power. The issue is they are of the journeyman/ backup variety. Think Colt McCoy, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Derek Anderson, Jay Cutler, Randall Cunningham, Mitchell Trubisky. Quality back up deep with glimpses of being a franchise starting QB. There could be 10 to 15 quality QB backups out of this draft.

The signs are there too with the insane QB trading after seeing/studying these QBs. Several reports from scouts/executives of not seeing a QB with first round talent, let alone top 10 talent continue to be around since November. Five of the top 6 media darlings looked bad in live action against top talent vanilla defenses. The 6th has been rehabbing a serious injury.

The media sells their draft and offseason stories on the QBs. So, they are inflating certain QBs to make it look better than it is. If all you do is read/watch stories and the combine, you'd think there was a Watson, Mahomes, or Allen coming out of the first round. One of them comes close, but he has some serious attitude and injury problems. A couple others will be 1st round reaches because teams are desperate and afraid they'll lose them in the 2nd round.

3 hours ago, MHS831 said:

You know, Doc, you probably should include Philly here--they have 15, 16, and 19---they could easily move up with any 2 of these picks.   Philly is in the market, I have heard. 

I'd consider trading with them. I'm no completely sold on any of the QBs. Take the best OT on the board at 15 and grab a QB with the 2nd or 3rd round pick we get in the deal.

Edited by trueblade

4 hours ago, CRA said:

I'm not sure the Texans will be looking at QB with the #3 pick.   BPA might make the most sense for them. They drafted Davis Mills in the 3rd last year and he didn't look too bad. 

A lot of these QBs being talked about this year IMO would have been close to 3rd round picks if they were in the draft last year. 

And Davis has dine well for them in less than stellar circumstances