• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Chris Simms top QB is Matt Corral and why you should listen

Zod

To be honest, I don't really care whether or not this is a good QB class or not. 

What we've needed desperately for well over a decade....an OL. That has held us back as much as anything.

I've always maintained that for any team needing a franchise QB, you get the OL set before you get your QB. Without that, you set your QB up for failure. Ideally, you give the OL at least a year to gel, then allow him to step into a situation where he's protected rather than running for his life under the promise from a staff that you'll get him the protection he needs.

You prove the QB is your most important asset by bringing him into a situation where he is protected from failure as much as possible. Good RBs and WRs will help him succeed, but a good OL will protect him from failure more than anything.

Teams cannot trust themselves to build an OL after the fact. They'll always be playing catch up. They just don't have the discipline to do it after. 

Ideal scenario, we build the OL this year and get it gelling and ready for the QB we get next year. You lay the foundation first or else the whole thing is going to crumble. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2

14 minutes ago, rayzor said:

To be honest, I don't really care whether or not this is a good QB class or not. 

What we've needed desperately for well over a decade....an OL. That has held us back as much as anything.

I've always maintained that for any team needing a franchise QB, you get the OL set before you get your QB. Without that, you set your QB up for failure. Ideally, you give the OL at least a year to gel, then allow him to step into a situation where he's protected rather than running for his life under the promise from a staff that you'll get him the protection he needs.

You prove the QB is your most important asset by bringing him into a situation where he is protected from failure as much as possible. Good RBs and WRs will help him succeed, but a good OL will protect him from failure more than anything.

Teams cannot trust themselves to build an OL after the fact. They'll always be playing catch up. They just don't have the discipline to do it after. 

Ideal scenario, we build the OL this year and get it gelling and ready for the QB we get next year. You lay the foundation first or else the whole thing is going to crumble. 

To add to this, I wish they could somehow trade a player to either Jacksonville or Detroit for their 1st round pick for next season.  That way we would have a pick much closer to the 1st overall.  Makes it cheaper to move up if we are not there already.  Hedge our bets so to speak. 

Edited by Jon Snow

2 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

To add to this, I wish they could somehow trade a player to either Jacksonville or Detroit for their 1st round pick for next season.  That way we would have a pick much closer to the 1st overall.  Makes it cheaper to move up if we are not there already.  Hedge our bets so to speak. 

Would be great. Wouldn't expect it. Rule has to win now. He blew his chances of long term building a team. He can't afford to look ahead. If he has control, that won't happen.

• Beer 2

• 1 month later...
On 3/24/2022 at 7:58 AM, LinvilleGorge said:

He had Zach Wilson over Trevor Lawrence last year

Do we know for sure he’s wrong about that?  They’re both 1-year in. 

The caution I have for these rankings is that most of the QBs on this list suck or haven’t proven they’re good yet. I think it’s a plus that he was right about the Jackson/Allen class. If Wilson balls out this year then it’ll be another feather. But…there’s a chance this is just a really bad QB class and all of these guys end up being really bad. But I agree that Corral has the most tools + experience combo to be the best of the bunch. 

• Pie 2

9 minutes ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

I readily confess I know next to nothing about Corrall, but I started to look at one of his highlight tapes, and this is immediately my question:

How many NFL QB's still playing past age 30 looked that skinny in college?

Tom Brady.  He was three pounds heavier than Corral but a couple of inches taller, so maybe even skinnier.  

Edited by Davidson Deac II
  • Pie 1

5 minutes ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

I readily confess I know next to nothing about Corrall, but I started to look at one of his highlight tapes, and this is immediately my question:

How many NFL QB's still playing past age 30 looked that skinny in college?

I honestly I do not remember.  But I do not concern myself with that as much as I watch how they fair against much better competition.  If they can hang in there with the best college has to offer then they stand a better chance of making it in the NFL.  Its not a guarantee mind you. But it is a better measure than his current physical shape. Its all a crap shoot anyway. 

1 hour ago, Jon Snow said:

I honestly I do not remember.  But I do not concern myself with that as much as I watch how they fair against much better competition.  If they can hang in there with the best college has to offer then they stand a better chance of making it in the NFL.  Its not a guarantee mind you. But it is a better measure than his current physical shape. Its all a crap shoot anyway. 

Part of the issue is that Corral LOOKS smaller compared to his competition bc college athletes are freaks these days…especially in the SEC. 

Brees played his entire career at 210. Corral has the frame to put on another 10-12lbs in his lower body and core. He’s going to fill out and his playing weight will be 210-212 which is fine. Just gonna take some time.