• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Athletic mock projects NC State tackle to Panthers

Mr. Scot

love this scouting report on Icky https://www.profootballnetwork.com/ikem-ekwonu-nc-state-og-nfl-draft-scouting-report-2022/

he has the length to be disruptive with 34″ arms and an 84 1/2″ wingspan.

The length is apparent in multiple facets of the game. He often is first to the punch, getting his hands inside his opponent. He can lock out his arms to manipulate his opponent, both in the ground game and as a pass protector. When he does land his punch, you know about it. Ekwonu possesses powerful and violent hands that cause maximum disruption.

The NC State OT does his best work in the ground game. Ekwonu is an old-fashioned mauler who clears out rushing lanes with exceptional power and savagery. He looks to finish every play devastatingly, and more often than not, he is successful with dramatic consequences. His athletic ability allows him to get out in front of the ground game, exploding out of his stance and getting downfield like a steam train.

If you’re a linebacker or defensive back, you have to be questioning your life choices when you see the NC State OT heading your way. A play where he bulldozed Miami safety Bubba Bolden to the ground lives long in my memory. However, his tape is littered with highlight plays where he displays his physicality as a run blocker. 

One area where Ekwonu has developed his scouting report this season is in pass protection. The aforementioned physicality shows up, regularly shocking with his powerful punch. When the NC State OT gets you in his grasp, there’s no shedding that block — he’ll impose his will on you. Furthermore, his athletic ability shows up here, too. Ekwonu can get into his pass sets quickly. He also has the footwork to mirror even the fastest pass rushers.

• Pie 1

I think it’s becoming more and more likely that someone trades to the Giants spot (NO, Pittsburgh, Atlanta) and gets ahead of us for Willis and drops the exact player we need right into our laps. We take Ekwonu or Neal and start prepping for next year with the roster and figure out if there is another veteran to bring in on the cheap (draft pick-wise). 

I think there will be a real discussion about Willis IF he’s there at #6. But I think the Steelers, Saints, and potentially Falcons all like him enough to try and get up to #5. Which imo would be great news for us…Finish the OL and take another stab at a QB next year likely in the top 3 picks (bc we’re gonna suck). 

Edited by unicar15
  • Pie 5
  • Beer 1

25 minutes ago, CBDellinger said:

the one where he intentionally falls down?

Sweet baby Jesus thats not even fair... I mean that DB has a family.

He looks as good as any T I have ever seen in getting to the second level and just smearing guys on the defense...he's a mauler, that can move like a pass protector.

Smooth operator.

Drafted at 5.

• Pie 1

I hope our "QB interest" in this draft is all a smokescreen to get some sucker to trade in front of us for a QB, leaving us a better chance of nabbing the LT we want.

But we'll probably reach for Pickett, at least that's what I expect to happen...

31 minutes ago, unicar15 said:

I think it’s becoming more and more likely that someone trades to the Giants spot (NO, Pittsburgh, Atlanta) and gets ahead of us for Willis and drops the exact player we need right into our laps. We take Ekwonu or Neal and start prepping for next year with the roster and figure out if there is another veteran to bring in on the cheap (draft pick-wise). 

I think there will be a real discussion about Willis IF he’s there at #6. But I think the Steelers, Saints, and potentially Falcons all like him enough to try and get up to #5. Which imo would be great news for us…Finish the OL and take another stab at a QB next year likely in the top 3 picks (bc we’re gonna suck). 

I agree with most everything except the top 3 draft for next year. This will be a better team. 

• Pie 1

I always call for Pickett, buuuuuut Ekwonu is my fav LT of the big 3. He's a beast and he's a nasty m'fugga. After listening to Camden and based on him being my LT choice I would have to say if he is there then we take him and kick the QB can down the road a little further. Adding him to the roster would at least allow us to run the dang ball for once. That way, whoever is trying to pass for us at least won't have to do it too often. 

I think he's just too good to pass on there. Even for a QB. By QB I mean PIckett. 🤪

Edited by Panthers Rhule

Im the forever optimist for this team i feel lately...

But I think we are heavily discounting this teams ability to draft players. Say what you want about Rhule but Rhule NAILED his first draft. We got 4 starters in that draft and good depth. 

Last years draft felt underwhelming mainly because Horn didnt play, but Horn looked exceptional when he played. Marshall has big potential. Brady 'could' be a starter or a very good depth player nevermind Tremble. 5 guys in that draft played in almost every game. We had a good draft last year.

I think we all agree we dont agree with how he played some of those players. But we selected good players.

Add a 2nd year of Fitterer to the mix and let him work his magic. 

I think we will leave this draft with the right players. How we use this is another story but I think we have the right people on staff that can evaluate players.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1