• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

RAS by year/regime

ellis

33 minutes ago, Aussie Tank said:

To be fair this was Rhules way in college and he said he would bring that to the NFL. Get the raw athletic players and try coach them up. I think Fitterer was bought in because his views align 

That’s fair. 

1 hour ago, Khyber53 said:

Looking at the names, though, it doesn't seem like RAS correlates to success in the NFL very much. There are some real nothings in the green listing, some pretty darned good players in the red.

Maybe I'm just not understanding this.

It just means we are picking the best athletes and banking on our coaches to turn those athletes into football players.

Bare minimum you have an athletic freak on your team that you can put in at certain situations. I understand the concept.

I'd be more interested in seeing the RAS of more successful organizations like the Steelers, Ravens, and Patriots. That would be a better indicator of how relative RAS is to overall team success. 

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

It just means we are picking the best athletes and banking on our coaches to turn those athletes into football players.

Bare minimum you have an athletic freak on your team that you can put in at certain situations. I understand the concept.

I'd be more interested in seeing the RAS of more successful organizations like the Steelers, Ravens, and Patriots. That would be a better indicator of how relative RAS is to overall team success. 

This is what I wanted to see as well. Show me those better organizations. 

7 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Hilariously and fittingly, our two worst GM's are at the bottom.

Since we have only had four total gms in our franchise history, who would you say was the best?  Keep in mind your notion of “two worst gms” are the only two that put together super bowl rosters for us.

15 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

If that’s the case…

Dating Not Gonna Happen GIF by HBO Max

• Pie 2

I love how neatly Fitterer's picks correlate to RAS numbers. the higher the RAS number, the higher round you get chosen in. not that I think this is the be-all, end-all.

but I do think you get better results paying attention to RAS and using it to guide your valuation of players, than you get by ignoring it (see: Gettleman era).

totally agree with the sentiment that having a good RAS doesn't necessarily make you a great player. but having a great RAS means there's a probability that you have a better chance to be a good player. better late than never having this philosophy filter throughout the entire drafting apparatus IMO.

• Pie 1