• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Brady Christensen taking snaps at Center

ncfan

Just now, KSpan said:

I don't share your overall unbridled optimism for a few reasons, but no question that the OL (players and Campen alike) appears to have taken a massive leap forward. If things pan out to even half of the potential that exists then that will be a large boost to the foundation of the offense.

There are quite a few of us who see the direction this team seems to be headed, and are excited for the ride.

2 years ago we had maybe a handful of decent/good players. Now? There is talent all over the place.

Now granted, we are still young. And we have some growing to do. But man, if Corall works out. We can make some noise. And if he doesn't? We will be a great landing spot for the next one.

• Pie 1

I think the roster is moving the right direction but as long as Rhule is the head coach I'm going to remain unconvinced that the overall organization is headed in the right direction. The guy has just shown zero signs that he can be a competent NFL coach, much less an actual good one.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, iamhubby1 said:

There are quite a few of us who see the direction this team seems to be headed, and are excited for the ride.

2 years ago we had maybe a handful of decent/good players. Now? There is talent all over the place.

Now granted, we are still young. And we have some growing to do. But man, if Corall works out. We can make some noise. And if he doesn't? We will be a great landing spot for the next one.

I have just seen nothing from Rhule that resembles NFL-level competence, but that's off-topic and a rigamarole that has been discussed to death. At this point the team has what they have, which in the case if the OL is actually finally NFL-caliber, and only time will tell how things shake out. 

I do really hope Ickey can have a Slater\Sewell-esque rookie year. That would be amazingly refreshing to see after a decade of LT suckage.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 5

6 minutes ago, KSpan said:

I have just seen nothing from Rhule that resembles NFL-level competence, but that's off-topic and a rigamarole that has been discussed to death. At this point the team has what they have, which in the case if the OL is actually finally NFL-caliber, and only time will tell how things shake out. 

I do really hope Ickey can have a Slater\Sewell-esque rookie year. That would be amazingly refreshing to see after a decade of LT suckage.

Hope for the future. It's a heckofa drug.

• Pie 1

Its OTAs, not even TC, or in season practice. I think iamhub said it first, this is time for this trial and error. Hes fresh 2nd year player, not some 8 year pro. If hes on the bench, thats fine as well. Means this OL has reached the highs needed to be a legit OL. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, ForJimmy said:

I get being skeptical.  Campen wasn't there to sign off on last year's OL (who weren't in the same level as Bozeman or Corbett).  He also is going to be the one developing them with McAdoo running the offense.  MUCH different than Brady and whoever our OL coach was last year.  

The QB issue is different because we constantly struck out on our top choices like Stafford, Russ, Watson etc... Rhule tried to get fancy and sign OL that can play multiple positions (just none that well).  They tried a much more proven tactic this year in signing proven starters for FA OL.  If there were serious about getting a QB the proper way we would have drafted Mac or Fields to compete with Darnold, but instead we thought we were smarter than everyone else and could develop him Darnold into something he isn't.  Two totally different scenarios IMO if they helps you feel better about the situation.

I'm not saying these OL will be the greatest, but pairing a great OL coach in Campen with proven OL talent in Bozeman, Corbett, and Moton plus a high potential pick in Icky should have a much greater chance at success than past years.  

Rhule also has a history of micromanagement, so I can't really sign off on any of the coaching hires either.

We will see what happens.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

If Brady becomes the best as the #1 back up for every position, is that a bad thing? If he becomes that good. That means maybe we only need 8 OL instead of 10 dressed per game. Like in Basketball, the 6th guy is extremely important. Or he wins the starting LG position and still is the #1 back up to the other spots. Not bad to know what he can do. If (and should) win the starting LT, Brady is the #1 back up to that spot, which is a good thing. 

14 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Rhule also has a history of micromanagement, so I can't really sign off on any of the coaching hires either.

We will see what happens.

this is what gets me. rhule had his guys and they weren't able to handle the job, just like himself. these other guys that were hired, who made the call on them? was it rhule or someone over his head? either way, when it comes down to game time, is rhule going to be taking the reigns back?

i've seen it before even with rivera twice. you see a different direction in the way he ran games, but you can tell it was forced on him or at the very least wasn't natural to him and things looked better for a little while, but then he went back to natural tendencies and everything fell apart.

i think rhule is more of a control freak than rivera is so i see any transitions being hard for him, especially if they weren't his idea. when push comes to shove, is rhule going to digress back to old micromanaging rhule?

• Beer 1

From maybe starting LT, to maybe competing OG to maybe backup C. It's great they are trying different things with him but it also looks like he isn't starting material in the NFL and is headed in the wrong direction finding a decent spot for him. I hope the guy can find a niche while also acknowledging he wasn't a good 3rd round choice to date.

Edited by Waldo

53 minutes ago, Waldo said:

From maybe starting LT, to maybe competing OG to maybe backup C. It's great they are trying different things with him but it also looks like he isn't starting material in the NFL and is headed in the wrong direction finding a decent spot for him. I hope the guy can find a niche while also acknowledging he wasn't a good 3rd round choice to date.

The keyword in your post is "maybe".  As in there's a lot of uncertainty around Christensen and the team's vision for him, so it's very premature to have any strong opinions about his career outlook.

It's pretty funny to me how the narrative around BC after the end of the season went from:

"Brady looked like our second best o-lineman, after Moton.  Especially later in the season".

to

"Man I wish the coaching staff played Brady more so we could see what we really have in him.  Maybe we could actually have a capable LT on our hands if he had more playing time"

to

"Brady is looking like a career back-up and a waste of a 3rd round pick"

The sentiment towards Brady went from positive -> uncertain -> negative...and here's the hilarious kicker...all during the OFFSEASON while Brady hasn't even done anything on the field 😂 I get that part of our opinion on a player is tied to how the coaching staff (i.e. Rhule) uses or views a player, but we're talking about the same guy who has proven to be incompetent?  The same guy who not a single person on these boards trusts to exhibit sound judgment?  That's the guy whose decisions are going to affect how we view a player?

• Pie 1

You have to look at contracts- Bozeman will want to get paid in 2023.  BC would give them an option.  Remember, we will not be in a great cap situation come 2023 and Spiderman will want a few coins.

Oh, and smart Centers are more valuable than Left Guards.

Edited by MHS831

2 hours ago, MasterAwesome said:

The keyword in your post is "maybe".  As in there's a lot of uncertainty around Christensen and the team's vision for him, so it's very premature to have any strong opinions about his career outlook.

It's pretty funny to me how the narrative around BC after the end of the season went from:

"Brady looked like our second best o-lineman, after Moton.  Especially later in the season".

to

"Man I wish the coaching staff played Brady more so we could see what we really have in him.  Maybe we could actually have a capable LT on our hands if he had more playing time"

to

"Brady is looking like a career back-up and a waste of a 3rd round pick"

The sentiment towards Brady went from positive -> uncertain -> negative...and here's the hilarious kicker...all during the OFFSEASON while Brady hasn't even done anything on the field 😂 I get that part of our opinion on a player is tied to how the coaching staff (i.e. Rhule) uses or views a player, but we're talking about the same guy who has proven to be incompetent?  The same guy who not a single person on these boards trusts to exhibit sound judgment?  That's the guy whose decisions are going to affect how we view a player?

If the guy can step in as a competent backup LT and can also play guard and/or emergency center, that pans out better than a lot of 3rd rounders do. 

When we mention Elfien, Jordan and Daley in our starting line up in 2021 and now they are almost an afterthought for even backups it says alot of how we have address the line situation.

We CLEARLY have a much better starting unit and we have some quality depth.   

Had Rhule played Christensen and Brown more last season we would have a much better start to 2022.  I have no doubt Campen is going to get the most out of the players we have on the final 53.

• Beer 1