• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The optimism thread

Zod

1 hour ago, joemac said:

You can complain about every single coach in the NFL.  The constant Rhule slander here gets stale. Does he suck?  Sure.  If we get good QB play and start winning games, his deficiencies as a coach will start to look a lot less severe.  As long as he's our coach, we're stuck with him.  So no reason being miserable every single week/season just because of who the coach is.  

Problem is that, as I said, Rhule has nothing on his side to counter the negatives, and lumping objective realism in with being miserable/negative is as disingenuous as ignoring glaring holes and legitimate questions in favor of irrational optimism.

I don't post much on Rhule these days because there's little point since he's clearly here for the immediate future, but it's completely fair to provide counterpoint to blindly optimistic posts; isn't that the idea behind a discussion forum, particularly a thread specifically asking about people's levels of optimism? Echo chambers are annoying on both sides of the spectrum and there is plenty of real-life data supporting a skeptical position vs one of leaping optimism, so until he falls on his face (even more) or starts looking like an actual NFL coach there's no avoiding the differing perspective.

Edited by KSpan
  • Beer 2

1 minute ago, KSpan said:

Problem is that, as I said, Rhule has nothing on his side to counter the negatives, and lumping objective realism in with being miserable/negative is as disingenuous as ignoring glaring holes and legitimate questions in favor of irrational optimism.

I don't post much on Rhule these days because there's little point since he's clearly here for the immediate future, but it's completely fair to provide counterpoint to blindly optimistic posts; isn't that the idea behind a discussion forum, particularly a thread specifically asking about people's levels of optimism? Echo chambers are annoying on both sides of the spectrum and there is plenty of real-life data supporting a skeptical position vs one of leaping optimism, so until he falls on his face (even more) or starts looking like an actual NFL coach there's no avoiding the differing perspective.

You're right, however this IS the optimism thread lol...

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

A vastly improved O-line should help whoever is under center.  If we can establish a great running game the QB will not have to carry the team by himself. 

A great RB room.  CMC can cause a lot of problems if our O-line gets him to the 2nd level.  Teams will need to focus on stopping him.  Chubby IMO is going to have a good year too. He's also dangerous in the 2nd level.  Foreman is going to be a great short yardage RB and will also take some weight off of CMC.

WR will benefit from the running game.  Moore and Anderson may have many one on one opportunities and the QB just needs to make the read and get them the ball.  Our TEs can have a great year too.

Defensively our secondary has plenty of studs on it and Wilks will get Thieves Avenue back.  They'll be fun to watch especially if our D-line can create enough pressure.  There should be more coverage sacks for our front 7.

Special teams has greatly improved.  

If our defense holds up and our QB doesn't give games away we might just surprise a couple of teams.  

It would be nice to at least be in the playoff conversation in December. 

Go Panthers

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

31 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

So, you are optimistic that he is right?

Or, as Curley said, "I'm a little negative about the positive, but I am positive about the negative."

No, in general he is right, however I am trying to be optimistic.

2 hours ago, Move the Panthers to Raleigh said:

A top-3 pick in 2023 

I wish I could believe this. But let's look at the tape. Year 1 a Kyle Allen win streak erases a top 3 pick. Year 2 a Teddy Bridgewater led offense is just mediocre enough to keep us out of the top 3. Year 3 Sam Newton (LAWL) and his win streak lock us out of the top 3. Meanwhile the Jags lock in back to back top overall picks. We can't even be good at being terrible 🤣😭

Edited by frankw
  • Beer 2