• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why so much pessimism for Baker.

Alemanders

Because the staff is just throwing poo at the wall and hoping something sticks at the QB position. I have nothing against Baker, I just dislike that he’s one of the poo being thrown at the wall by the staff. 

• Beer 1

What is the long term plan? There is none other than win a couple of more games maybe this year and then be back to square one next year.  Here is my plan: 1. Get rid of Rhule; 2. Play Corral enough this year to decide whether he is a legit prospect so we can draft another qb if he is not; and 3. Get rid of Darnold.  And do not lose any more draft picks during the addition by subtraction phase of our growth. I want a superbowl contender not a wild card maybe. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, SazmoRanger said:

I think that’s the problem most of us have that don’t like this trade. The people in charge of this organization have shown us failures over and over with their QB selections. Teddy, Sam, Cam, etc. I was joking with my brother last week that if this staff wants a QB you can almost guarantee they’re going to be bad. 

A lot of us have hope in that family member that is a constant f*ck up, but deep down we know they won’t change. You can be a fan and also have realistic expectations. 

same here. i hope that this works out. i don't see it working out, though. i didn't want mayfield. i don't see him as being anything more than a tool to win maybe one or two more games but he's no long term solution. the best chance we have for a long term solution right now is Corrall and he'll be sitting this year. 

i'm not impressed by darnold or mayfield at all. i just can't feel good about them and i'm not going to feel good about them just because i'm a fan of the team. them being a panther doesn't mean i put blinders on when i look at them. it just means i'm a fan of a team that really fugs up when it comes to the QB. 

• Pie 4

I can’t help but wonder if this Baker situation gets really bad if he doesn’t win the starting role here.  It is definitely in his best interest to play whatever role he has here as a good teammate and show some leadership but will that happen?  Questionable 

Why I like the trade:

1. Mayfield is the best QB the Panthers could have hoped to put behind center this year. He's more of a leader than any QB the Panthers have had since Cam.

2. Mayfield will allow Corral to progress on a much more even schedule.

3. The Panthers will have options after this year. If Baker does well, then we have QB1 and QB2 in good spots. If not, Corral will get his chance and likely be the better for it. 

4. The Panthers didn't give up much.

Why I don't like the trade:

1. Mayfield is an upgrade, but he's not elite. I doubt he changes that narrative this year.

2. He's never shown clutch ability (this per Brown's fans). He plays well when ahead, but hasn't been able to have that signature game winning drive. (That again underscores the idea that he isn't elite)

3. Have no idea how his personality will play out in the locker room. The Panthers need leadership, but beyond that they need GOOD leadership.

4. Baker will be just good enough to ruin the Panthers draft position next year.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

9 minutes ago, Raleigh PF said:

2. He's never shown clutch ability (this per Brown's fans). He plays well when ahead, but hasn't been able to have that signature game winning drive. (That again underscores the idea that he isn't elite)

Yeah after losing to the an injured Chiefs in the playoffs my opinion of Baker sank. 

• Beer 1

3 hours ago, hepcat said:

1) Faker is a dramatic crybaby douche. He has talked an exorbitant amount of trash about UT football despite growing up in Austin and had the gall to go to OU. He’s a coward and he will never redeem himself in my eyes for that.

2) He flat out SUCKS. The Browns thought so little of him they were willing to trade 3 first round picks for an accused sexual predator who might not even play this season. They paid $10m to send Faker out the door. They basically gave him away. 

3) Even if I’m wrong and Faker looks better than I believe he will, the Panthers are a dumpster fire. Matt Rhule as we all know is not suited to be an NFL head coach. The roster is littered with injury prone star players. David Tepper has no idea what he’s doing football wise. It’s a mess, and Faker is a wildcard to create a mess of drama on this sinking ship.

So excuse me if I’m not excited. 

I don't think I've ever seen a better example of the pot calling the kettle black, lmao!

• Pie 1

Baker is a polarizing QB, no doubt. He does give off crybaby vibes at times. 

I do believe that he has a passion for the game and hatred to lose much like CN1. I think he speaks his mind....sometimes too far much like CN1. 

I do think Baker should have done more with what he had on paper in Cleveland. I do think he got a raw deal in Cleveland by the front office and people are focusing too much on the '21 season. The guy played for 15 weeks with a torn labrum in his non-throwing shoulder and eventually, a fractured bone in the same shoulder. Outside of the 1 week with Covid and the bye week, Baker played 13 games when he probably should not have.

The amount of stress that front facing shoulder took snap after snap, week after week being punished as QBs do. The mechanical issues that his throwing motion would have suffered because of it are being overlooked. 

His rookie year and 2020 season were both top-12 overall QB seasons. 

I don't think Baker is our surefire franchise QB for the next 5-10 years, but I do think he will make a lot of Panthers fans happy in 2022. All indications point to a bounce back year for Mayfield this year with an enoromous chip on his shoulder. 

If Baker can buy us a year or two (if we franchise him next year) until Corral is ready to take over, it's a win..... and I feel like that's all that Fits is trying to do. Jimmy would've cost more, and we can't roll Darnold/PJ out week one, so let's look at the glass half full. 

Where Darnold struggled with confidence and passion, Baker thrives.

A healthy offseason, a new franchise and in a contract year should offer Mayfield the opportunity to succeed. I for one am psyched for week one against the Browns.

This clip of Baker's first NFL start is pretty amazing and indicative of the QB I think we will see in week one. 

• Beer 1