• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Help me, I'm feeling optimistic.

Zod

We're definitely better than we were last year just by subtracting the worst QB and possibly the worst LT in football. 

The problem is not that we aren't going to be better. It's that this team, seemingly, doesn't have any plan or direction. We're like a kid with no attention span who just keeps changing channels 

• Flames 1

@Zod   @CarolinaHuddle  Welcome back from Twitter!

With Sam, Matt and PJ I was not looking forward to the season. I figured, same old same old.

But now I can not wait for football to start because, despite all the coach tarot card readers here, I see this season as wide open. Slate clean. Possibilities. Upgraded OL. New QB. Better coaches (except, sigh, Rhule). I want to see what happens.

So, yes, I am optimistic too.

• Pie 1

The more I think about it the more I am excited to see Mayfield play. We got him for a steal and he is a playoff caliber quarterback.  For a team that hadn't been to the playoffs in forever. A team that won 4 games in 3 years and none the year before he got there and went 7-9 his rookie year. If he can get us to 8 or 9 wins that is a huge improvement and worthy of a longer term contract. Meanwhile we have guys we are developing for the long term or will need in case of injury.

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, GRWatcher said:

@Zod   @CarolinaHuddle  Welcome back from Twitter!

With Sam, Matt and PJ I was not looking forward to the season. I figured, same old same old.

But now I can not wait for football to start because, despite all the coach tarot card readers here, I see this season as wide open. Slate clean. Possibilities. Upgraded OL. New QB. Better coaches (except, sigh, Rhule). I want to see what happens.

So, yes, I am optimistic too.

31 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

The more I think about it the more I am excited to see Mayfield play. We got him for a steal and he is a playoff caliber quarterback.  For a team that hadn't been to the playoffs in forever. A team that won 4 games in 3 years and none the year before he got there and went 7-9 his rookie year. If he can get us to 8 or 9 wins that is a huge improvement and worthy of a longer term contract. Meanwhile we have guys we are developing for the long term or will need in case of injury.

@Zod  Jeremy...seems like you always are optimistic...usually after watching at least some  training camp.

For me:

Re Baker...Long before he was on the Panther radar...I thought his injuries were understated for the 2021 season and he took an unfair hit on his performance. Healthy Baker is a better Baker.

Re Rhule.  In over his head.  It seems like Tepper has reigned him in some and made him defer to NFL football people.  If that translates to game day as well...that is good.  If not,  do not expect much improvement for the team. (See my 3rd qtr thread)

The Oline is improved...finally.  Even Sam might play better with this line.  With a few more real NFL coaches...I would say this team has to be better.   As long as Rhule does not decide to screw things up.

Tepper/Rhule...what did we do to deserve this?

Edited by ladypanther
  • Pie 6

6 hours ago, ladypanther said:

@Zod  Jeremy...seems like you always are optimistic...usually after watching at least some  training camp.

For me:

Re Baker...Long before he was on the Panther radar...I thought his injuries were understated for the 2021 season and he took an unfair hit on his performance. Healthy Baker is a better Baker.

Re Rhule.  In over his head.  It seems like Tepper has reigned him in some and made him defer to NFL football people.  If that translates to game day as well...that is good.  If not,  do not expect much improvement for the team. (See my 3rd qtr thread)

The Oline is improved...finally.  Even Sam might play better with this line.  With a few more real NFL coaches...I would say this team has to be better.   As long as Rhule does not decide to screw things up.

Baker decided to play, so I don't know how "unfair" the hit to his performance was. Personally, it just makes me more skeptical.

• Beer 1

8 hours ago, panthers55 said:

I definitely can't say I am excited about the upcoming season but Baker is by far the most interesting QB we have fielded since the decline of Cam. 

I really don't understand the people that hated the move. Teddy had an obvious ceiling and he actually performed better than expected here. Sam was by far the worst QB we have had since Pickles and that was obvious before he ever played a snap, then confirmed by playing.

Baker has had some stretches of play that only Cam Newton can eclipse. And he is likely the second most talented QB this franchise has ever fielded(all due respect to Kerry Collins). I don't see how that isn't extremely interesting to see. I don't see how that can't be considered much better than heading into 2019, 2020 or 2021.

• Pie 2

48 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I really don't understand the people that hated the move. Teddy had an obvious ceiling and he actually performed better than expected here. Sam was by far the worst QB we have had since Pickles and that was obvious before he ever played a snap, then confirmed by playing.

Baker has had some stretches of play that only Cam Newton can eclipse. And he is likely the second most talented QB this franchise has ever fielded(all due respect to Kerry Collins). I don't see how that isn't extremely interesting to see. I don't see how that can't be considered much better than heading into 2019, 2020 or 2021.

My family has some Browns fans and Baker was a problem. Overhyped by fans, can't finish and has the kind of personality where a big hit gets a laugh. He came into a team that had picked really high for a long time and spent large to get tallent there regardless of wins. 

Exciting? Not personally. Better than Sam? Yes. His ability would make him a great candidate for a bridge QB but his attitude and personality nullify that.

I'm excited to see what Corral has. I'm resigned to having to watch Baker blow up the Browns and then implode when we hit the hard part of the schedule.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

36 minutes ago, Waldo said:

My family has some Browns fans and Baker was a problem. Overhyped by fans, can't finish and has the kind of personality where a big hit gets a laugh. He came into a team that had picked really high for a long time and spent large to get tallent there regardless of wins. 

Exciting? Not personally. Better than Sam? Yes. His ability would make him a great candidate for a bridge QB but his attitude and personality nullify that.

I'm excited to see what Corral has. I'm resigned to having to watch Baker blow up the Browns and then implode when we hit the hard part of the schedule.

TBH, and I hope I am wrong, but I don't see much in Matt Corral. Would obviously rather see him than Darnold but that isn't much of a bar.

Baker is a far more talented and capable player and even he has been a disappointment in his NFL career.

I am not excited but at least there is something interesting to watch unfold. Waiting on the Darnold 2022 season was like having a colonoscopy appointment that you had to be awake for.

• Beer 2

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

TBH, and I hope I am wrong, but I don't see much in Matt Corral. Would obviously rather see him than Darnold but that isn't much of a bar.

Baker is a far more talented and capable player and even he has been a disappointment in his NFL career.

I am not excited but at least there is something interesting to watch unfold. Waiting on the Darnold 2022 season was like having a colonoscopy appointment that you had to be awake for.

The odds are astronomical that Corral, a 3rd round pick, will turn into a nfl starter.  However I would at least like to see him play before the next staff boots him to the curb next season

• Beer 2

4 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

The odds are astronomical that Corral, a 3rd round pick, will turn into a nfl starter.  However I would at least like to see him play before the next staff boots him to the curb next season

Agreed. Behind our OL, I have no doubt he will get opportunities. It's just a matter of if Rhule will play him over Darnold if/when Baker gets banged up.

9 hours ago, ladypanther said:

For me:

Agreed with everything until

Even Sam might play better with this line.  

Nope. Don't fall into that trap. 😂

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1