• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Friday Camp Updates 7/29

Ricky Spanish

Post em here.

I was at a work summit the past few days so I missed all the asshatery in real time, but you best believe if you dingleberries clog up my panther updates thread I will send your ass to timeout for the rest of the day. Please report consistent bickering/dicketry in this thread so I or the other mods will become aware.

Seth Meyers If You See Something Say Something GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

This post will unlock at 2:22 AM in honor of our two best offensive players.

• Pie 5
  • Beer 3
  • The D 1
  • Flames 1
  • Poo 1

9 minutes ago, musicman said:

Even if it's a slightly competition, it's mostly good things. The better Sam is or feels, being our back up or traded, it helps the Panthers. If Baker has to try a little harder to really outshine Sam, and not just be handed the job for doing slightly better, it's good for the Panthers. It's also less pressure on Baker this way to get acclimated to the offense. Yes, more reps with the 1's is helpful but not looking at the bigger picture IMO.

That's assuming everyone is buying the idea of a legit competition. I honestly doubt that's the case. Everyone on the staff and on the roster probably knows it's Baker's job to lose, so why bother with the theatrics. The factors you're talking about rely on there being a real competition. Everyone knows Sam sucks and Corral likely isn't ready to play early on as a rookie.

• Beer 1

We know what Sam is now.  I don't see much point in wasting reps on him.

Likewise PJ.

I would like to see Corral getting reps, especially in the preseason games.  We need to learn as much as we can there.

Baker is the QB1.  Let's not waste time pretending otherwise.  Give him all the reps he needs to be the best he can.

• Pie 4

I personally hope it is a competition.  I know it's popular opinion to poo on Sam, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Sam be much improved.

I can see a difference in his body while he is standing at the podium.  He has a good demeanor.  With an improved line he could have a big year if he wins out the competition.

• Pie 6

Of course, Jordan is our starting LG and Elf is our starting C---as of July 28 or so.

I think they are respecting the existing starters so that they give the appearance of competition.  I suppose that it is demoralizing to be a starter and have some free agent from another team come in and take your job without giving you the chance to fight to keep it.  Kind of a "king of the hill" thing--

By the first preseason game, our OL and QB should be set.

• Pie 5

22 minutes ago, TheMaulClaw said:

I personally hope it is a competition.  I know it's popular opinion to poo on Sam, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Sam be much improved.

I can see a difference in his body while he is standing at the podium.  He has a good demeanor.  With an improved line he could have a big year if he wins out the competition.

Dude, he's already checking down every chance he's getting with the 1's while Baker has been pushing the ball vertically. It's the same song and dance with both Baker and Sam. Baker pushes the ball downfield and takes some risks but also hits big plays, Sam is Teddy Two Gloves in terms of checking down.

Want to extend CMC's season? Go with Baker. He won't check it down 14 times a game and put all that wear and tear on CMC.

• Pie 2

I don't see a problem with a competition this early. The reality is Baker needs to get a handle on the playbook more than chemistry with one particular set of guys, especially considering he will certainly play with some of backup dudes throughout the season.  And tho I doubt it is possible, if Corral or Darnold somehow beat out Mayfield, I wouldn't be upset.

But... If Rhule refuses to name a starter out of some assforward strategy of gamesmanship, I'll get annoyed.