• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Brian Baldinger breaks down the Panthers' offensive tackles

Icege

26 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

The thing about evaluating OLmen is you have to see several games vs. teams that show nearly every situation possible.   For example, Icky vs. a Speed Rusher is a concern.  I love him vs a Bull Rusher and in run blocking.  How quickly will he pick up stunts from a 4-3?  A 3-4?  Just spitballing here, but he was OK in the few reps he had last week vs Washington.  Mays looked great, but how will he look vs a stud DL and not a scrub?  Time will tell--that is why I love these preseason games--

From his draft profile: The pass protection has seen rough patches over the last two years and that might continue until his hands and feet start working in unison. Punch timing and independent hands should bring immediate improvement, but getting him to play with better focus and control in his pass sets will take time. 

We knew that he was a monster in the run game but needed to refine his pass blocking, which works for us since we're claiming to be a run first team. That's why I wasn't concerned when BC was getting starter reps over him in camp. Frankly, he was playing better. I have no doubt that Icky's ceiling at LT is miles above BC once he pulls it all together. Having too many starting caliber tackles is a good problem to have!

51 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

The thing about evaluating OLmen is you have to see several games vs. teams that show nearly every situation possible.   For example, Icky vs. a Speed Rusher is a concern.  I love him vs a Bull Rusher and in run blocking.  How quickly will he pick up stunts from a 4-3?  A 3-4?  Just spitballing here, but he was OK in the few reps he had last week vs Washington.  Mays looked great, but how will he look vs a stud DL and not a scrub?  Time will tell--that is why I love these preseason games--

Plus arm length 😐

Seriously though, I suspect it might be wise to give a Ekwonu some help when he's first starting out, especially week one.

38 minutes ago, shaqattaq said:

From his draft profile: The pass protection has seen rough patches over the last two years and that might continue until his hands and feet start working in unison. Punch timing and independent hands should bring immediate improvement, but getting him to play with better focus and control in his pass sets will take time. 

We knew that he was a monster in the run game but needed to refine his pass blocking, which works for us since we're claiming to be a run first team. That's why I wasn't concerned when BC was getting starter reps over him in camp. Frankly, he was playing better. I have no doubt that Icky's ceiling at LT is miles above BC once he pulls it all together. Having too many starting caliber tackles is a good problem to have!

Sounds like we really dodged a bullet with Evan Neal. I am now at the point of being very suspicious of any Bama linemen.  I thought he could really be betty than Icky because he was ahead in pass blocking. Sounds like he is most definitely not.  

8 minutes ago, rebelrouser said:

Sounds like we really dodged a bullet with Evan Neal. I am now at the point of being very suspicious of any Bama linemen.  I thought he could really be betty than Icky because he was ahead in pass blocking. Sounds like he is most definitely not.  

Man I never saw it. I always had him rated as a distant third coming out behind Ickey and Cross. I will say I wanted Cross and he looked pretty good last night minus a few holds, but I'm super excited for Ickey and think he is the better fit for what Mcadoo wants to do 

• Pie 1

12 minutes ago, rebelrouser said:

Icky has a meanness/size/attitude that you can't coach. That's one of the reasons why I think his ceiling is so much higher than Christensen's. He was my pick from day 1 if he were there. It didn't hurt that he was the only one of the top 3 that I had seen play. I don't watch much college football anymore, but definitely grew up a State fan, so I try to catch a few of their games.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, shaqattaq said:

Icky has a meanness/size/attitude that you can't coach. That's one of the reasons why I think his ceiling is so much higher than Christensen's. He was my pick from day 1 if he were there. It didn't hurt that he was the only one of the top 3 that I had seen play. I don't watch much college football anymore, but definitely grew up a State fan, so I try to catch a few of their games.

Ikem knows he’s big.  Knows he’s stupid strong.  Knows he can take 99% of earths pop and pancake it.  

He likes that.  

His smile only gets bigger the more physical the game gets.

I like that.

• Pie 2

6 hours ago, MHS831 said:

The thing with Ikwonu is that he's raw - he's a work in progress, he's going to make mistakes and get beaten. We hope he's going to get better with coaching because the physical and mental tools are there.

If we wanted a plug and play LT we'd have taken Cross. 

5 hours ago, rebelrouser said:

What have you heard about Neal?

I didn't like him as a prospect coming out, but are there TC reports that he's struggling?

7 hours ago, MHS831 said:

Icky had the highest ceiling of this OT draft class, his speed and agility are elite for a tackle, It will all come down to technique and learning not to be over aggressive on passing downs IMO.

• Pie 1