• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why didn't Sam Darnold play against the Patriots?

hepcat

Considering Baker Mayfield has been named the Week 1 starter after not playing at all in their last preseason game, I have to wonder, why didn't Sam Darnold play?

Sure, sit McCaffrey, DJ Moore, Burns, your top guys. The Patriots are dirty, they try to hurt people, I get it. 

Seems like Baker Mayfield was already going to be the starter before the Patriots game even happened, so hold him out if he's your starter. 

Why didn't Darnold play then? He's a backup. He should play.

Are they concerned Darnold would look so bad he wouldn't have any trade value? He already doesn't have any trade value due to his ridiculous contract. 

Worried about him getting hurt? Well, anyone they trotted out there could get hurt. But again, he's a backup.

I just never understood why Rhule babied Sam Darnold so much. He's earned literally nothing in the NFL and gets treated like he's an established Pro Bowl level veteran by this coaching staff. Including last season when he barely played during the preseason as well. 

Nothing this coaching staff does ultimately makes sense. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, hepcat said:

Considering Baker Mayfield has been named the Week 1 starter after not playing at all in their last preseason game, I have to wonder, why didn't Sam Darnold play?

Sure, sit McCaffrey, DJ Moore, Burns, your top guys. The Patriots are dirty, they try to hurt people, I get it. 

Seems like Baker Mayfield was already going to be the starter before the Patriots game even happened, so hold him out if he's your starter. 

Why didn't Darnold play then? He's a backup. He should play.

Are they concerned Darnold would look so bad he wouldn't have any trade value? He already doesn't have any trade value due to his ridiculous contract. 

Worried about him getting hurt? Well, anyone they trotted out there could get hurt. But again, he's a backup.

I just never understood why Rhule babied Sam Darnold so much. He's earned literally nothing in the NFL and gets treated like he's an established Pro Bowl level veteran by this coaching staff. Including last season when he barely played during the preseason as well. 

Nothing this coaching staff does ultimately makes sense. 

BB is Sam's daddy.  He completely owns him.  Likely didn't want Sam to get hurt, or damage his already fragile psyche.  Also, perhaps they are holding out hope that some team is desperate enough to make a trade for him?  Didn't want any more bad tape for Sam out there?