• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

QB1 Competition was never close

TheCasillas

I will agree with some that this wasn't a competition at all. Why go out and get Baker if you were going to sit him on the bench? Why even try to get Watson if they were satisfied with Darnold?

I believe this was needed for Baker and the locker room. We don't know how the locker room felt about Baker. I assume they heard all the reports coming out him through the media. I am guessing that's why Robbie said "Nooooooo" about a report about Baker coming to Carolina. It could be possible that Darnold had supporters in the locker room. I don't know. I'm just speculating at this point.

• Pie 4

6 minutes ago, hepcat said:

Yea except one alpha was a 6'5 250lb athletic freak with a cannon for an arm who would bulldoze everyone who tried to tackle him, the other isn't. 

You can bring Mahomes in here, Brady, Jackson, whoever you want at QB, and that above statement would be true.

So, uhhh, were you making some kind of point or just stating the obvious?  O.o

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 2

As much as I hate on Rhule and company I believe Baker will actually do quite well here stats wise. If he starts all season I think 4000 yards passing, 30 passing touchdowns are well within reach considering I feel the defense is going to let us down big time this year. Not sure it translates into wins but I think for the first time since prime Cam we will actually have a QB that helps instead of hinders the offense. 

pains me to say it...but it was the right call handling it the way they did.

“But I do think, in a subtle way, it was important that he earn the job the way he did in camp.

just having the gig handed to him on a silver platter wouldn't have played over as well as letting him "compete" for the job and assert himself as the bona fide leader of the offense. i mean probably everyone "knew" that this would be the outcome and sure, it was just a show, but i think it was probably better for the team to see him work for it at the risk of missing reps. confidence gained in baker outweighs the reps he missed out to sammy in the show.  he will get the needed reps soon enough, but he'll get more out of the other guys in those reps because of the confidence they have in him.

all that said...i'm still not sold on baker overall but it doesn't matter if i am as long as the guys around him is and once they get into actual game situations they'll find out soon enough if that confidence is misplaced or not.

• Pie 7

This seems pretty obvious. You build competition to push him and help him gain the trust of his teammates. I would think that with a player like Baker you want to encourage his competitiveness and "ego" as much as possible. That is where you are going to get the best of him, when he's got that chip on his shoulder.