• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Fitterer going into 2022 season

3 minutes ago, CRA said:

everything there is an unknown though in the grand scheme of things.  Can't really grade Fitt on any of that yet.  

It's not really grading.  All of these are young players but the fact that most of them are on the field and making plays is impressive. 

I remember Hurney would have most of his picks on the team but many of them never did much. 

I did a post last year where 56% of his players he drafted never did much.  

So far it is nice to see at least they are on the field. 

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

One of the things I always tell people is that when it comes to Panthers leadership is that I look at Scott Fitterer and Dan Morgan as a team.

Nearly all of Fitterer's experience is in college scouting. He'll tell ya that he and Seahawks pro personnel guy Trent Kirchner did some "cross training" with each other's jobs back in Seattle, but college and The Draft were always his primary focus.

Dan Morgan cut his teeth more on the pro personnel side of things, and I believe his arrival is one of the reasons why this year's free agency has drawn higher early grades than last year's did.

So while it seems inevitable that Morgan will eventually get his own GM gig, I personally hope it takes a while because I'd like to see what Fitterer and Morgan can do as a team (preferably without Rhule).

ME TOO

13 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

It's not really grading.  All of these are young players but the fact that most of them are on the field and making plays is impressive. 

I remember Hurney would have most of his picks on the team but many of them never did much. 

I did a post last year where 56% of his players he drafted never did much.  

So far it is nice to see at least they are on the field. 

This feels a little early to be saying this since we have played a total of 17 games with "his" two draft classes and the overwhelming majority of the players have played in less than half of those games.

There is definitely some guys with great potential but there are an equal amount that don't necessarily look like they might be in our future.

This will be something we know more about in a couple of seasons and can have a much more accurate picture.

1 hour ago, CRA said:

QB/OL/DL.  That's how I think a personnel guy should be largely evaluated.   If you can get talent there, you will win in the NFL with even an average coach.      

I'd still give Fitt an incomplete at this point.   

mostly on the darnold deal

TBD and that is being generous after the Darnold trade which is one of the worst in many years for any team. If Scott is the evaluator some here claim him to be he should have been talking Rhule out of that trade until he was out of breath. To field such an abysmal OL on top of that would get many front office executives led to the nearest exit. We need to see some big time results out of the roster this season. There really is no excuse not to with how the division is shaping up. We have a window open now. Time to capitalize.

Hes getting better it seems, Dan suuuurrre did help with the pro side of things. The 2021 free agent class is 5x better than the awful 2020 one.

I reaaaallllllly love the fact that both draft classes were totally different, but it truly felt like he got the most of each (the best picks/out-comes). TMJ is looking bad, but i dont hear no bell....

Just able to go from trade back nearly every one, to trade up the next year with less resources. WOW. Like hes already a proven vet at the wheel with his league-wide relationships. nearly all his 10(+/-) trades points were in panthers favor, insane..

I did like Gman for the first 2, never liked herniay( - 1st golden picks). Feels different with Finesssererererer. I see him trying ALLLL sort of methods to improve the team. Love the effort. 

Plus I know theres isnt one GM that batts 1.000, but some huddles believe its very possible. Look around the whole league and pick out whom you think is the best GM. Look up their draft history and free agent signing... I promise their will be a few "wtfs" in each. 

Edited by Basbear
  • Pie 1

3 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Many Huddler's seem to give Fitterer a lot of grief over his work for the past two season and after looking at all his signings we still have the majority of those players on our team.

2021 Draft out of 11 Picks 8 are on the 53 man active roster and Brown (6th round pick) on the PS. The other 8 see or will see plenty of action.

2021 UDFAs None are still on our roster

2021 Free Agents (deals over 1 yr) Irving, Elflein, Luvu are still on the roster.  Though it cost us a 3rd round pick we got Henderson and a 5th for Arnold.

2022 Draft 3 of the 6 could see plenty of playing time (Icky, Smith, Barno) Mays being the remaining active rookie player that may see time in the latter part of the season.  Corral of course will not see any time this year.  Barnes is now a Dolphin. 

2022 UDFA 7 of the 14 players we signed are on the practice squad with the exception of McCall who is on the active roster.

2022 Free Agents 9 of the 11 are on the active roster with CJ Saunders (for the life of me I don't know why) and Westry being waived.

17 of the 53 remain prior to Fitterer's time.  11 of which are starters and core players and the other 6 are contributors.

Every GM is going to have his blunders and players that didn't work out.  It is a gamble with every player you draft or sign.  We could have drafted so in so instead of trading for Darnold and the list goes on and on.  Most of us are armchair GMs, Coaches and QBs.  When the final 53 is named, you have to believe that our staff believes no one out there is better than what we already have. (the answer is on the roster mentality)

Overall, I think Fitterer (Rhule for whatever amount of credit you want to give him) has done a pretty good job of getting quality talent. 

We'll see how he addresses issues for the season. 

black and white fire GIF

28 minutes ago, mc52beast said:

I’m assuming Rhule( for whatever reason) still has control over roster decisions so you can’t really grade Fitterer like he’s doing his job with no interference. 

I think interference is less and less and even Rhule has admitted deferring to Fitt and wants to focus on coaching.  He may still have "final say", but right now it's just a formality.  You can tell this season is different than last.