• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Really happy all those former panthers coaches and front office staff in Buffalo are doing well

electro's horse

2 hours ago, electro's horse said:

i like to imagine McDermott in the coaches meetings staring in horror as Ron and Shula discuss how best to use cam as a battering ram 

Dorsey on the practice field quietly telling cam he doesn’t understand what the coaches are doing either, and he’s trying his best 

Beane looking on, mortified as the team passes on offensive linemen again and again in favor of small school punters that we’re going to convert to DT

you know when they get drunk up at Dave and busters in Buffalo or wherever you go there they laugh their asses off. 

Bowling alley crowd...not Dave and Busters. Not that there is anything wrong with that....

Edited by Jmac

3 hours ago, electro's horse said:

My main question about the bills is this

did Beane and McDermott learn from the cam experience that qb off tackle should not be the staple of the offense? That no matter his size, running should always be at best the second option?

or, is not murdering your qb glaringly obvious to anyone that isn’t hurney, Rivera, or Shula 

This 1000%

53 minutes ago, davos said:

The funniest thing is they're probably way past it because this was a half decade ago and we're still here all affectionate.    

McD left in early 2017, traded up to grab Dion Dawkins one spot ahead of us Rd2 to land his LT.  Solved it immediately.  This ain't the 'not so distant past' anymore by NFL standards.

Beane came in and they built a powerhouse together rather swiftly.  They were able to build up Allen, trade for top shelf weapons, develop weapons on both sides of the ball.  Only misses is they can't seem to identify a stable RB.  

They left, we haven't been to the playoffs since, they built a SB contender in ~2 years. 

Since they splintered off--QB wise, we've been through Cam, Allen, Heinecke, Teddy, PJ, Sam, Cam again, PJ again, and now Mayfield.  LT wise...Chris Clark, Greg Li...nvm, Dennis Daley, had Daryl try it out, Van Roten, Okung, Trent Scott, Daley again, Erving, Christensen (and I'm missing some).  Seriously..took us that long but I'm hopeful with Icky.  

It's hard to watch it being done well. It's also one of the reasons I don't buy the whole 7 year rebuild BS. Identify your QB, protect him, and get him freaking weapons. We're on QB 5 in less than 3 years. We've got a serious problem Identifying talent. 

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

It's almost as if their collective success there underscores how the people in charge here were unable to utilize their talents when they were with the Panthers.

Nah.

That couldn't be it.

It also illustrates how silly it is to be dismissive any time we sign or trade for a player from a losing franchise.  It's always "wow what are we thinking trying to emulate a losing franchise".  There's a reason the Bills are called "Panthers North" lol they routinely snatch up our sloppy seconds year after year after year.  The difference is that they have a coaching staff who can seemingly develop raw talented players and put them in a position to succeed - that's what we seem to be sorely lacking so far.  Oh and a superstar QB doesn't hurt...that definitely helps to mask some terrible moves like trading a 3rd for Kelvin Benjamin and signing Vernon Butler to a 2-year $15 million contract (truly some sloppy seconds).

• Pie 2

55 minutes ago, Sean Payton's Vicodin said:

remember when "Mister" fired dave gettlemen and rehired Marty Hurney when brandon beane was on this FO staff lol

Brandon Beane was already snatched up by Buffalo 2 months before Gettleman was fired.  Truly horrible timing, as we were clearly grooming Beane for a GM role (we just didn't know it was for a different team).  It seems unlikely that Brandon Beane would normally have been on any team's radar...why would an Assistant GM to Marty Hurney of all people?  But I think we can thank Sean McDermott for that, who clearly thought highly of Beane while they were together in Carolina.

It reminds me of the Harrison Butker situation too.  We stashed him on our Practice Squad - it seemed like we were trying to take our time and groom him to take over as our starter down the line.  Then another team came and snatched him up and was willing to pull the trigger to take a chance on an unproven entity.  You gotta be bold and take some risks in this league; you can't just sit around and take your time and pussyfoot around in hopes that things will fall in place.

• Pie 5

1 hour ago, panthers55 said:

He did run several times in the red zone with the game salted away  so no I would say they are doing the same thing to him that we did with Cam. Last night Allen rushed 10 times. 

yep.  This. 

They ran Josh Allen right into the teeth of the defense once the game had been put away. 

• Pie 1