• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

When did you figure out Rhule was a fraud?

Randolph Panther

24 minutes ago, CRA said:

well....seems like a decent coach would prioritize getting him as many reps as possible.  And as many reps as possible with his center.   OL.  WRs.  Etc. 

Instead, we had a bullshit QB competition with the worst QB in the NFL over the last half decade.  

Where are all his defenders that openly wondered what the tone of this place would be when they came out and looked good on opening day, despite the reps being split up in the name of "competition?"

How many of us were saying that training camp and preseason serves one over-arching purpose: to prepare your team for the regular season?  That means getting your projected starting OL time together to start the gelling process they need to anticipate what each other are going to do.  It means getting your starting QB time with his receivers and center. 

That doesn't mean somebody  can't take a starting job if they look good enough or the projected starter looks bad enough, but this is not tryouts for the high school team......or is it?

Even teams that do spend the preseason trying to prepare for the regular season usually come out rusty in the opening couple of weeks.  Now imagine what a team that spends their time high school tryouts looks like.  The good news is that you don't need to imagine.  It was on display in the first half yesterday.

Edited by Sgt Schultz
  • Pie 1

5 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

Where are all his defenders that openly wondered what the tone of this place would be when they came out and looked good on opening day, despite the reps being split up in the name of "competition?"

How many of us were saying that training camp and preseason serves one over-arching purpose: to prepare your team for the regular season?  That means getting your projected starting OL time together to start the gelling process they need to anticipate what each other are going to do.  It means getting your starting QB time with his receivers and center. 

That doesn't mean somebody  can't take a starting job if they look good enough or the projected starter looks bad enough, but this is not tryouts for the high school team......or is it?

Even teams that do spend the preseason trying to prepare for the regular season usually come out rusty in the opening couple of weeks.  Now imagine what a team that spends their time high school tryouts looks like.  The good news is that you don't need to imagine.  It was on display in the first half yesterday.

lmao

I think there is a quote of Rhule somewhere addressing the QB/C fumble in preseason the one time we saw Baker.  And yeah, even then he acknowledge the lack of work together 

Rhule just bullshitting and stealing money at this point 

• Pie 2

4 minutes ago, CRA said:

lmao

I think there is a quote of Rhule somewhere addressing the QB/C fumble in preseason the one time we saw Baker.  And yeah, even then he acknowledge the lack of work together 

Rhule just bullshitting and stealing money at this point 

I saw that quote when I was writing my response.  More of the same from Rhule.  He ought to be in politics.

Essentially, this and other questions boil down to why was the team so unprepared for the game.  His answer is that the fact that they spent a significant part of the prep time for the season not preparing for the season had nothing to do with it.

Officially, I classified Rhule as a snake oil salesman about the second or third time I heard "the Process" in response to some question.  When it was clear that "the Process" was going to become a thing onto itself, my BS meter went from dancing around to being pegged in the red and it has not come down since.

My first indication was the way he handled the Bridgewater meltdown.  Teddy deserved some of the blame for the offense, but it was also clear the criticisms he leveled on the coaching staff were valid.  There are a lot of good ways for a HC to respond, from not responding publicly to the obvious "given the results, we all need to do better and we are going to work on that."  Instead, he and Tepper circled the wagons. 

As a result, the plan of using Teddy as a transition QB to the eventual starter, or to another transition QB while the search continued went right out the door.  Which led us to Darnold.

Part of being a leader is owning up to mistakes and shortcomings (and improving).  Hell, part of being a leader is sometimes owning up to mistakes and shortcomings of others, at least publicly.  WE succeed and I fail is the general idea.  But in Rhule's world, HE succeeds (if he ever does) and others fail. 

I remember Darrell Bevell doing the same after the Seahawks gave away Super Bowl 49.  It was everybody's fault but his, despite the fact that it remains probably the worst play call in Super Bowl history.  He went from being a contender for head coaching vacancies to pretty much being persona non grata for such positions.

Hell, the way we work, he will probably be our next HC.

• 2 months later...

During an early press conference, he was asked about a DL player jumping offsides giving the opposing team a 1st down instead of getting them off the field and eventually they scored a TD . His answer was along the lines (paraphrasing here) that he loved the energy and eagerness the "kid" displayed. I knew from that moment that he was trying to turn the Panthers into a college team instead of treating them and respecting them as professional NFL players, grown men. And it knew would never work.

• Pie 1