• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Remember the Twitter thread about Wilks and Snow arguing?

top dawg

16 minutes ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

He got McDermotts defense. Since he replaced McDermott. 

I mean, I hear what you guys are saying, but when I compare 2016 to 2017, I see that we were ranked the same in scoring defense. Sure, in 2017 we had the 22nd ranked rushing defense, but it was only 21st in 2016. The passing defense was the same at 21. 

I just don't see the difference. I think there's some splitting of hairs going on for whatever reason.

8 hours ago, top dawg said:

After hearing that Steve Wilks canned Phil Snow, I couldn't help but think that the firing gives some credence to the unconfirmed twitter thread about dissension in Snow's ranks.

Yes, I realize the defense was not perfect and certainly has serious third down issues, but it was still a respected squad, so I'd say that Wilks had better be right about deep-sixing Snow. It will turn out to be a very important executive decision for him, as it speaks to his decision making which in turn makes an understated statement about his genuine viability as the Panthers next HC (sans any "interim" label).

It will be interesting to see how our defense evolves--and it will, or he wouldn't have fired Snow with such expediency. Not to mention Wilks' continuation of McAdoo's services on the offensive (pun kinda intended) side of the ball, will be nearly as important. For hardcore Panthers fans, the soap opera is real, and almost must-see TV for the next few weeks. 

When a change is made to the General, his aides and friends are not going to be kept 

same in the business world as in the Army as in pro sports 

Wilks has enough to worry about without dealing with Snow, Rhule’s mentor and Father figure in college and pros

23 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I mean, I hear what you guys are saying, but when I compare 2016 to 2017, I see that we were ranked the same in scoring defense. Sure, in 2017 we had the 22nd ranked rushing defense, but it was only 21st in 2016. The passing defense was the same at 21. 

I just don't see the difference. I think there's some splitting of hairs going on for whatever reason.

So what you’re saying is that Wilks wasn’t good enough to improve the defense and we actually got worse in a category. That isn’t good enough IMO. 

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, Aussie Tank said:

He inherited McDermotts Defence and made it worse than got a HC gig and poo the bed so I’m not really hoping he gets the full time gig 

You’re basically describing McDermott’s situation in Philly after Reid’s firing. Came up under Jim Johnson and poo the bed when made HC. Amazing what a few more years of experience has done for him. He was always a good coach, he just wasn’t ready to be a HC at that time. We’ll see what happens with Wilks, but to discount him while gushing over McDermott is silly. 

• Pie 1

8 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

Either way the combo of Wilks zone secondary and Snow's front 7 made zero sense. I'm not a fan of the zone stuff but I'm assuming he needs the front 7 doing particular things for the whole thing to work. In a perfect world he would switch to man and blitz like crazy but it may be zone and blitz like crazy

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47h3nn4e8kama20sgmy3

• Beer 1

The more time passes by the more I think Wilks was Teppers mole. That’s why Snow or Rhule could not fire him when those arguments happened over the summer. Tepper is a smart man, we may be in better shape than some think. This may have been in the works for some time.

12 minutes ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

So what you’re saying is that Wilks wasn’t good enough to improve the defense and we actually got worse in a category. That isn’t good enough IMO. 

Perhaps, but I think it's a little presumptive to base whether or not he'd be a good head coach on that. 

Look, I'm not beating the drum for Wilks, but I'm also not going to dismiss him out of hand without context and before we can see more. Chances are, just the fact that he temporarily inherits this mess, he'll be sent packing in January.

51 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

Yup, whoever the source there was (I suspect it's Stanley McClover), they were dead on with every thing.  Absolutely all of it.  

Also revisting it...  I would expect Chandler and Franklin to be dumped sometime before the end of the season, because so far, everything in that thread came true.

Also revisiting it, the part about Dunlap pops back out.  It affirms what Tepper alluded to yesterday that Rhule STILL had final say on all roster decisions - because Fitt wanted Dunlap, and Dunlap wanted to come here.  Remember Dunlap tweeted out glowing stuff about Fitt and that Fitt knew what it was.  And then Fitt said nice stuff about Dunlap and basically made it sound like they just had to get the agreement worked out...  when in reality, he prolly had the deal set and ready to go, but Rhule didn't okay it, and then Dunlap ends up in KC, and Burns spends another season without a bookend to pair with.

Rhule really had the whole building in shambles because he's a fuging idiotic egomaniac.  It's really unbelievable.  We knew it was bad from the outside, as we, as fans, could literally see the dysfunction rolling into a boil snd overflowing in front of our eyes...  and yet, I just can't fathom how Tepper INSIDE of the building knew this stuff was going on and let it get this far out of control.  That's insane.  That much dysfunction, you have to know, in personal lives, business, pro football, whatever...  you have to know that you aren't going to turn it around at that point.  Patience isn't even the word for that.  Again, it is straight up insanity.

Chandler, Franklin, Hartsfield, and sadly Henderson all need to be sent packing. I reallly wanted it to work with CJ but I he is not a good player. Maybe WILKS can push the right buttons

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, top dawg said:

I mean, I don't remember and am too lazy to look it up, but did he really inherit McDermott's defense, or did he inherent a defense where some of the key players had aged and/or moved on? That answer can make all the difference in the world. 

McDermott's last year starters:

image.png.e0cf531e1fcd963f3f9048f43a62b81c.png

Wilks first year starters:

image.png.e6419232a8537149d07fff631a637798.png

Yes, he got McDermott's defense.  

• Pie 1

We have some good players on defense, but whether or not that are compatible pieces remains to be seen.  What I mean is we still have not done anything about the fleeting moment switch to a 3-4, so we still have some pieces that are a better fit for that vs. a 4-3.  Then add the "Snow vs. Wilks" philosophical difference.

I have no idea what to expect, but if Wilks can somehow get this group to play up to their potential he probably deserves consideration for a DC position somewhere, if not here.

Snow had to go.  In 2020 he got the defense to play beyond the talent of the individual pieces.  The problem was, as the talent increased, the results got better but not at the same level.  In other words, Snow had a definite ceiling, and the talent may be above that.  Then add that either he was a Rhule toadie or Rhule was his toadie, and keeping him around was doomed to fail.

18 minutes ago, philit99 said:

The more time passes by the more I think Wilks was Teppers mole. That’s why Snow or Rhule could not fire him when those arguments happened over the summer. Tepper is a smart man, we may be in better shape than some think. This may have been in the works for some time.

Dude, Tepper ain't playing 4D chess.  If he was that smart Rhule would have been gone at the end of last year.  Tepper gave him another offseason to fug us good.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1