• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Scott Fowler just went IN on Tepper after that press conference yesterday

Ricky Spanish

Just now, amcoolio said:

Tepper literally said that yesterday, and he also took accountability and admitted he took a risk on Rhule and lost. Weird take.

How is it weird? What he's said and what he's done have been two different things. He has talked about having smart people in the building to make the football decisions but he's obviously had a hand in every decision. This was his handpicked coach, GM, and staff, and he said he was even involved in the QB moves. An owner with literally zero actual football experience should not be making these decisions. 

He just needs to get out of the way. He did say he's going to consider consultants for the coaching search and that's the most encouraging thing I've ever heard him say, it'll just depend on who those consultants are. If it's Marty Hurney, I'm out. 

• Pie 3

He fired a coach who played 9 years in the league, won a Super Bowl as a linebacker for the Bears, was the NFL coach of the year not once, twice, took his team to the Super Bowl, and had the respect of the locker room. Fired him after a season in which he lost his franchise QB to injury 7 games into the year. All For a guy who never coached a day in the NFL. He left Rock Hill in a mess, allowed draft picks to be traded for QBs that led the NFL in interceptions the last 4 years. No stability anywhere. He has embarrassed this organization enough. .... look up jabroni and u'll find his pic there...keep it up Fowler.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1
  • Poo 1

Since you’re reading this, Dave Tepper, here’s what I want — and it’s not an apology BY SCOTT FOWLER OCTOBER 11, 2022 11:30 AM

Read more at: https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article267139666.html#storylink=cpy

If you’re reading this, Dave Tepper, and I know that you are: I’m not mad. You got testy with me at the end of your 25-minute news conference Monday afternoon, a few hours after you fired head coach Matt Rhule in your role as the Carolina Panthers’ billionaire owner. We had a 60-second exchange that ended up being fodder for social media, as I asked you when exactly you decided to fire Rhule — Monday morning? Sunday night? — and you got annoyed and said I should “know better” than to ask that question.

It went on awkwardly from there, as I asked again about your reasoning on firing Rhule five games into a 17-game season. Was it anything other than his overall win-loss record of 11-27? “You’re not being very specific,” I said. “Is there something I’m missing?”

You said: “I actually read your columns, and I can go back to your columns and regurgitate them. So you can read your own columns, okay, for that answer.” Well, thank you for reading and for your Charlotte Observer subscription! Although when I heard the word “regurgitate” right next to a reference to my work, I realized maybe this wasn’t a compliment. Before it was asked, my question had already been pre-determined to be the final query of Tepper’s news conference. So it all ended on a jarring note. I wasn’t offended by any of it. Look, my wife and I have raised four teenagers. I’ve got a thick skin.

As for my actual job, I’ve had a bunch of prickly exchanges like that, but few were live-streamed. Since Monday I’ve gotten a lot of supportive messages from readers, picked up a few hundred new Twitter followers, saw some videos of the exchange combine for 100,000 views and laughed at a few social media comments like: “Tepper about to buy the Charlotte Observer just to fire Scott Fowler.”

This sort of thing does happen to journalists if you stay in the business long enough. In the 1990s, a few Panther fans once made banners that read “Fire Fowler” and “No Creditabilty” in Bank of America Stadium after I’d been involved in a small dispute with then-quarterback Kerry Collins, and yes, they spelled credibility exactly that way.

Some people like my column. Some people don’t. Either is fine. I just want you to read it. I pride myself on compassion and fairness, but I’m certainly not a cheerleader for the home teams. This isn’t the team website. What the people watching the news conference don’t know is that after four years of you, Dave Tepper, making news in Charlotte, and me writing about it, we’ve bumped heads several times before. But we’ve also had enough honest conversations that a bit of teasing and/or testiness doesn’t matter in the slightest to me. I respect what you’ve done in Charlotte and in the business world and find you to be blunt and charismatic, which is catnip for a sports reporter.

So not that you’re offering, and not that I’m asking, but I definitely don’t need an apology. What I do need and want, though — and what this city needs and wants — is for you to become a better owner.

What do I mean by better? Let’s start with what you declared to be the most important thing Monday — winning. You’ve been the owner of the Panthers for 70 games, and they are 23-47 during that time. You bought the Panthers in the summer of 2018. They weren’t a very good football franchise by the second half of that year, because a bunch of standout players — most notably Cam Newton — were getting old. But they’ve actually been worse since you got here, if you judge by winning percentages (and both you and I do). If you count interim coaches, Steve Wilks will be your fourth head coach in just over four years owning the team. And if you don’t hire him for the permanent position in January, you’ll be looking for your fifth. An NFL team runs on its quarterback and its head coach, and you really haven’t found either one yet. You’ll start over at both spots before the 2023 season, maybe with a high draft pick that will save the day (we can only hope).

3 COACHES FIRED IN MIDSEASON It has felt like this team has been spinning its wheels for years, and the crowds of opposing fans at Bank of America Stadium speak to that. Rhule understands that a lot of that is his fault. In a bottom-line business, he was 11-27 in two-plus years. Then again, you signed Rhule to a seven-year, $62-million deal in January 2020 and kept talking about the “five-year plan” you were going to give him to succeed. He made it through less than half of that before getting the axe just before a team meeting Monday, where he at least got to say goodbye to the team and then was gone. You mentioned that the Panthers lost some intensity in Rhule’s final game, a 37-15 shellacking Sunday courtesy of San Francisco in a stadium that was taken over by 49ers fans. I agree.

It’s also true that Rhule was the third coach you’ve fired in the middle of the season, joining Charlotte FC’s Miguel Angel Ramirez in 2022 and Panthers coach Ron Rivera in 2019. You share the blame here. You’re accountable, as you’ve said. As for these high-profile departures over at 800 South Mint Street — they come from out of the blue sometimes. That was part of the reason for my original question about timing Monday. It wasn’t to imply you hadn’t been thinking about it firing Rhule and just did it on a whim.

It was more like I know you’ve been thinking about this for many months. But why now? Specifically, what has changed between January, when you decided to keep Rhule for another season despite a 10-23 record, and October, when the Panthers started 1-4 but still had 12 games to go? And of course there are other issues we didn’t even get into in that football-centric press conference: The Rock Hill rock fight. The Eastland Mall site that was going to host a youth soccer academy, until suddenly it wasn’t. The high-ranking Panther and Tepper Sports Entertainment execs who suddenly vanish without a trace.

It all feels a little unstable. THE GOOD PART ABOUT TEPPER It’s not all been bad under your leadership, of course. The stadium feels a lot more like a public trust these days than the private playpen it mostly seemed to be under original owner Jerry Richardson. I went to the Billy Joel, Garth Brooks and Rolling Stones concerts, and they were all a blast. You claiming that “there never was music in Charlotte” until you got here was a bridge too far Monday — we weren’t all out there watching Andy Griffith and wishing somebody had a guitar before you showed up. But I understood the point. In 2018, before you started to ramp it up, Bank of America hosted 15 events in the stadium. In 2022, it will host 39. That’s significant. So is the fact that you’re ambitious and pursued and won a Major League Soccer team, which was a perfect fit for our growing and diverse city. That team drew roughly 35,000 fans per home game in its inaugural 2022 season, which ranked second in the entire MLS. If you ask people around town, Charlotte FC has been a massive hit. If you ask them about the Panthers, though, they’ll shrug. Or scream. Or bemoan all the money they’ve spent on tickets to watch bad football. And now that Rhule is gone and can’t be their scapegoat anymore, most of the fans’ venom will be directed toward you. All of that changes, of course, if the team starts winning regularly and the Carolinas start believing in you again. The partnerships you often speak of will start to form. The new stadium — or the nine-figure renovation of Bank of America Stadium — will happen in Charlotte.

It’s not too late. You’re not Dan Snyder, the Washington Commanders owner who seems to be the last to know that he’s forever doomed in D.C. But Monday wasn’t a good day for anyone around the Panthers except the “Fire Matt Rhule” crowd, which got its wish and now probably wonders why it doesn’t feel any better. I’ve covered the Panthers since their inception in 1995 and now watched five different head coaches get fired. Those days are always stressful. But then comes a brief honeymoon period, built on renewed hope that maybe things will now change for the better. Make the most of that period. Don’t worry about me. I’m not going anywhere. Just fix the team. And don’t ask for any public money until you do it.

Read more at: https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article267139666.html#storylink=cpy

• Pie 7

49 minutes ago, PandaMan said:

Agreed with everything in the article except

“But Monday wasn’t a good day for anyone around the Panthers except the “Fire Matt Rhule” crowd, which got its wish and now probably wonders why it doesn’t feel any better.”

I actually feel a hell of a lot better, Mr. Fowler 

I think Fowlers point was that Rhule is gone, which was a plus but nothing was revealed from Tepper that would indicate any type of future Panthers success..

• Pie 2

31 minutes ago, saX man said:

Okay, after ready the juice, Scott's article isn't that damning or incendiary.

More of a combination of a save-face, "look at me", and continuing the illusion of sparring without really sinking that deep.  

Tepper went out in public and took it on the chin, and it's not like he beat him down verbally, he had a minor/somewhat agitated response to Fowler.  He claimed he has to learn, will likely seek consultants for the next coach, and is moving forward trying to win. 

I think reporters are wanting him to somehow admit fault for not firing Rhule at the end of last year, or to get a reason.  Well I think it was clear: Rhule needed to come into this year hot, pants on fire, we had a new QB with playoff wins under his belt, new OC, and let's see, 5 weeks in, we have the worst team in the league.  So yeah, he's fired after being kindly allowed a third chance.  Tepper gave him that final shot whether people like it or not, and you know, he had enough after it started off again.  He got new coaches, a new QB, and still sucked.   So we pulled to cord sooner than later this time.    

I admire his balls to do the press conference at that time in the first place. It shows he's been reading here or elsewhere about needing to take accountability. He did so directly after. He didn't hide behind company letterhead he came out and faced us like a man.

I actually see this as growth, for him.

• Pie 4

Good for Fowler. The Charlotte sports media is usually a bunch of useless kiss asses. It was nice to see some actual tough questions asked yesterday and Tepper didn't like it one bit. He was a complete dick to Fowler and honestly made himself look like a jackass. I mean, telling a guy to read his own column in order to basically read your mind? Sick burn bro. 🤡

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 2

9 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Good for Fowler. The Charlotte sports media is usually a bunch of useless kiss asses. It was nice to see some actual tough questions asked yesterday and Tepper didn't like it one bit. He was a complete dick to Fowler and honestly made himself look like a jackass. I mean, telling a guy to read his own column in order to basically read your mind? Sick burn bro. 🤡

100%  they are finally waking up and it only took them 30 damn years

This is probably my 3rd time posting this story.

I've told this story on here before but in in the early 2000's after a panther game my friends and I ran into Tom Sorenson of the Charlotte Observer at the southend brewery.  He sat with us for a while and at some point he was asked directly about why the CO wasnt more critical of Jerry Richardson.   He basically said Charlotte is a nice quiet southern town and the people here didnt want those types of stories or those types of reporters/columnists that cause drama.  I am obviously paraphrasing but we asked about why the paper wasnt going after shinn and the hornets harder as well when he was going through his troubles and all the crappy moves they made.  He just said there is not an audience for that.   We argued and argued and he just didnt understand.  Maybe he was playing dumb but I remember being incredulous at the time that the people in the media thought that asking hard questions would turn off readers

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, PandaMan said:

I just hit “subscribe later” or something and it let me read the whole thing.  

gave Tepper props for building the soccer team (which was a resounding success in ticket sales), more than doubling the amount of events at BoA in under four years, and making the stadium feel more accessible to the average Joe.  

Also ripped into him for blowing off his questions during the presser about why he decided now was the time to fire Rhule, not him sucking ass at the end of last season and whiffing.  About how we haven’t been good since 2018 when Cam got hurt.  Was critical of firing 3 head coaches mid-season, since he included the MLS coach.  

Basically, he’s not Dan Snyder, but damn dude you have to start actually making good moves.  

Well, in fairness, Tepper said that we needed to make good moves.

1 minute ago, top dawg said:

Well, in fairness, Tepper said that we needed to make good moves.

Yeah, no doubt.  Him mentioning consultants was big for me.  He seemed irritable at his press conference; I think being humbled like this is gonna make bring him back to reality.  He was nationally embarrassed and isn’t used to that.  

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, PandaMan said:

Yeah, no doubt.  Him mentioning consultants was big for me.  He seemed irritable at his press conference; I think being humbled like this is gonna make bring him back to reality.  He was nationally embarrassed and isn’t used to that.  

I dont care how many billions he has, being bamboozled out of 60 million and being made a laughingstock has to hit a nerve

• Pie 3