• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Inside the Carolina Panthers' three seasons of quarterback failure

Vox

11 minutes ago, Pejorative Miscreant said:

The article makes Fitt look weak or at least deferential to Rhule.  Have no idea about the power structure but it sounds like it was Rhule then everybody else.  Wonder if Fitt saw this fustercluck when he came in and then simply kept providing Rhule more rope to hang himself.  He caught a few dings along the way with the Darnold option but he had to know Rhule was going to implode.  

Just my personal conspiracy theory though.  

Rhule had final roster control. Not much he could have done in the end.

• Pie 7

1. Fug Rhule for costing us Herbert.

2. Fug Tepper. He needs to back off. Giving them deadlines to make trades, ranting about players, not understanding how hard it is to have a consistent winner, etc. He needs to separate himself from the team until he at least understands the NFL as well as the average huddler. 

• Beer 3

1 hour ago, WUnderhill said:

This take on Fields is different than all the others I’ve seen. I don’t watch him play but I just checked his stats. What am I missing?

Remember Fields is on his second HC and OC in his two years in the league 

that staff finally did an offensive game plan that allowed Fields to move around 

he looked great against the Pats.  Moved well. Improvised. Ran. Great throws 

the week before, Fields did everything in his power to will the Bears to a win  he got the hell beat out of him and kept getting up  tough guy 

we could have done far worse than taking Justin but Rhule would have failed to develop him nor did he have anyone to develop him 

Edited by raleigh-panther

7 minutes ago, Tbe said:

Rhule had final roster control. Not much he could have done in the end.

Exactly.  He strikes me as quiet and clever.  Saw the writing on the wall and figured the only way to get out was to go through the mess.  Didn't sabotage Rhule, as Rhule was doing a good job of that by himself.  Just let Rhule carry out the plan ("process") knowing it would fail and he would be rid of Rhule.   When its apparent that an idiot is in charge sometimes the only alternative you have is to wait it out and let them fail.

• Pie 3

3 minutes ago, Pejorative Miscreant said:

Exactly.  He strikes me as quiet and clever.  Saw the writing on the wall and figured the only way to get out was to go through the mess.  Didn't sabotage Rhule, as Rhule was doing a good job of that by himself.  Just let Rhule carry out the plan ("process") knowing it would fail and he would be rid of Rhule.   When its apparent that an idiot is in charge sometimes the only alternative you have is to wait it out and let them fail.

I’ve done that in my professional career. The fastest way to get rid of someone incompetent is to give them everything they want and let nature that it’s course.

• Pie 5
  • Beer 3

1 hour ago, Santee_Panther said:

That wasn’t my takeaway from the article. Fitt made one bad choice: the $18mil guarantee for Sam. It was a calculated risk that didn’t work out. But the conviction intjink  Sam came from Rhule, not Fitt.

Don't think Fitt could override rhule. Rhule was given the keys to the kingdom. Let's see what he does now that fatboys gone.

58 minutes ago, Manna said:

Fitt wanting Trubisky? lol. 

Imagine if Rhule had listened to Hurney about Herbert. Both of them would probably still have a job with the Panthers. 

Well to be fair, at that moment in time, Trubisky would have been "free" to sign (no trades, etc.) and wouldn't have had a huge price tag.

Interesting that Hurney and the scouting department really loved Herbert and hindsight being 20/20 it would have 100% been the right call.  I guess Rhule got his way and that not being able to meet in person during the pandemic didn't lend opportunities for the scouting department to really advocate passionately about taking Herbert....although knowing Rhule he wouldn't have listened anyways.  Also, who knows how Herbert would have looked on a Rhule coached team...guy probably is counting his blessings for being drafted by the Chargers.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, Samppson said:

Interesting article for sure. I have long said, If I had to guess if Matt Rhule looks back on his Panther's tenure, the decision he probably regrets the most is not trading up to get Herbert. It sounds like everyone loved Herbert in that building, you have to go and get your guy and take the risk, otherwise you really stand no chance at holding the coaching position long term. Granted, Rhule may have botched coaching/developing Herbert, but I feel like a new head coach has to take a shot on a young QB when they get the job, so they can use that honeymoon period to develop him. Then a few years in when you are seriously going to be graded, you should have a rising QB winning you games.

I am not a draft or expert QB evaluator by no means but i felt with all my being and hope, the Panthers   would  trade up to select Herbert, no matter what it took.

I felt it would solve the QB position for years. Sadly, they didn't, which has caused the team to spin its wheels and revert back to the same place they were before that draft.

Edited by KatsAzz
  • Beer 1

My main take from the long but interesting article:

{ "Multiple front office sources with rival teams say they believe Fitterer and his well-respected core staff will remain intact, seemingly giving Carolina a strong basis from which to rebuild the team." }

{ "But so much still hinges on what Tepper does with the head coach vacancy, a move that will undoubtedly inform the team's future at the quarterback position and beyond." }
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Though Carolina's scouts wanted Herbert, a Panthers front office source said there was concern that trading draft capital to make it happen could hurt other areas of the team

Hindsight is 20/20. Should of just traded up and we may have a franchise QB. 
Now we may have to trade up this year anyway. What a joke. 

• Pie 2