• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Baker Mayfield wanted assurance Panthers committed to winning after trades

ladypanther

5 hours ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

I doubt playing under a coach you don't like causes an NFL quarterback to make bad throwing decisions and be inaccurate when he does throw the ball, but I can see how it can impact the effort given by players at other positions where effort is as important as skill. QB isn't as much about how hard you try as it is about your skill in doing so, so the morale boost of discarding a disliked coach for a popular one seems less like it would matter there.

You are right about the bizarre perceptions of fans regarding players they don't know personally.

It's partially about the type of offense you run too. RPO was never in Baker's wheelhouse, and if Rhule micromanaged the offense as much as he did everything else, it could have very well held back Baker's development in this offense. That's not a defense of Baker because he played like poo, just an acceptance that Rhule could have really fuged up this entire team because he thought he knew better than everyone. It's better for the team right now if Baker just holds his tablet and smiles. 

7 hours ago, rippadonn said:

It's obvious PJ is a better QB. He runs the offense better, moving folks, changing protections, moving around in the pocket, actually letting the screen develop sucking in the defender BEFORE he camly arcs it over their outstretched arms. Changing pace with quick decisions and firing the ball in. PJ like Corral remains accurate while on the run. I'm so impressed with PJ. He deserves the job.

It's been a thing of beauty watching PJ play like that. No fear. Just accuracy, IQ.

Unlike Darnold and Mayfield, PJ is the only quarterback I have watched that did not have “happy feet.” I honestly think that helped his accuracy and velocity last week. I hope the first mistake he makes he does not get yanked. I want Wilkes to have enough faith in him to let him play until we see him succeed or fail and honestly can say he had his chance. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

15 hours ago, TheCasillas said:

I am pretty sure after next Sunday Baker can start the rest of the way and still will only cost us a 5th round pick.

Not quite we need PJ or Sam need to start and complete at least 5 games to ensure we are under the 70% threshold so we don’t lose a 4th. I believe it’s 5.5 games to be exact. Lol I only know because I have been counting since game 3 when it was clear Baker was NOT the answer. 

5 hours ago, Stuart Smith said:

Unlike Darnold and Mayfield, PJ is the only quarterback I have watched that did not have “happy feet.” I honestly think that helped his accuracy and velocity last week. I hope the first mistake he makes he does not get yanked. I want Wilkes to have enough faith in him to let him play until we see him succeed or fail and honestly can say he had his chance. 

I agree I hope if he does have a bad game once that won’t be it we’ve seen the other two stink up the joint for many games last/this year. Let him play that non happy feet really brought tears to my eyes not seeing my qb run crazy because a defender is closing in he literally played professional ball. Hang in there make a  play take a hit not saying it’s easy but it’s what’s required to be good.

• Beer 1