• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Brugler: Next year's quarterbacks "not universally loved"

Mr. Scot

33 minutes ago, Killah_Ray said:

Same way Sam Howell was the #1 pick for a while...it's all a crap shoot....just better hope you hit...

Sam Howell and Rattler were only preseason first rounders, and that makes sense because people were projecting for fun. As soon as the games started people realized they weren't the top guys. Like right now no one thinks Rattler is good and most folks look at Cj and Bryce as the best players. Levis and Richardson are tools guys that check a lot of boxes. Weird but a solid QB class overall bc there's at least talent there. 

17 hours ago, Waldo said:

Ohh I am fine with snagging a QB. There is zero excuse to not in this draft. It may not be a 1st but that debate can't really rage until we know where we are picking and who is available.

I was saying it would be nice to have that safety net to take another swing if the first one wasn't good enough. Another 1st in 2024 gives us a lot of options in a worst case scenario.

I said in another post that if we are top 5 and don't really like any of the QBs.  Trade down, snag an extra 1st next year and take BPA at our new spot.  Use one of the 2nd round picks that we have on a QB that can compete with Corral.

If they both play well in preseason maybe, we have trade bait.  

• Beer 2

3 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

I said in another post that if we are top 5 and don't really like any of the QBs.  Trade down, snag an extra 1st next year and take BPA at our new spot.  Use one of the 2nd round picks that we have on a QB that can compete with Corral.

If they both play well in preseason maybe, we have trade bait.  

There are a lot of options if we don't like anyone left at our pick in the 1st. First we need a good coaching staff with a solid and realistic direction. 

• Pie 2

Bryce Young - Max Potential and Comp = Russell Wilson/Philip Rivers. Tough. Elusive. Active eyes and feet in the pocket. He looks to have the most complete skillset in the class currently. He is a guy that can start day 1 for a team and give them a chance to win every week.

Will Levis - Max Potential and Comp = Josh Allen/Joe Flacco hybrid. Not as fast as Allen and arm not as strong as Flacco. Makes some wow throws but also some wtf throws. Needs to read and react to coverages faster.

CJ Stroud - I see a LOT of Tua Tagovailoa in Stroud. Very accurate. Rarely will throw a hospital ball. I don't like his skiddishness in the pocket when it starts to break down. He is not quick enough or fast enough to get himself out of a jam and tends to reverse his field instead of stepping up. That will be tough to correct, because it is instinctual. He is going to need a good supporting cast. He is a fantastic point guard, but I don't see superstar that lifts guys up around him.

Anthony Richardson - He could top out as a Lamar Jackson Lite. Great arm. Needs to trust it more (or maybe trust his receivers more, not sure which). Needs to develop as a passer in general. Project, but one that could have a huge payoff if he finds himself in the right system with a good/patient coach.

Hendon Hooker - He reminds me a lot of Cam Newton. He doesn't play as big and I think Newton had more top end speed coming out, but his style is similar. He plays up to competition and can make things happen. Doesn't seem to have any one area that stands out as a strength, but is a good football player. He will be tough to sell in the war room as a first round pick.

All around, I agree that this class is being overhyped. Outside of Bryce Young (who will have his critics because of his size), I don't see a guy that has put all of the signs of a franchise guy on tape. Just my opinion.

• Beer 1

I was on the Levis train until recently.  Other posts on Richardson have me intrigued.  The thought of trading back and taking Richardson in middle first makes a lot of sense.  They are all projects in one sense or another.

More important to their development will be HC and OC. Got to get that right else any QB draft choice will be sub optimized potential.

Do we trust Tepper to get that right?  Will Tepper allow the adults in the room (Morgan, Fitterer, others) to do their job?

Tick, tock…

On 11/8/2022 at 10:19 AM, Waldo said:

Ohh I am fine with snagging a QB. There is zero excuse to not in this draft. It may not be a 1st but that debate can't really rage until we know where we are picking and who is available.

I was saying it would be nice to have that safety net to take another swing if the first one wasn't good enough. Another 1st in 2024 gives us a lot of options in a worst case scenario.

I know it's early and we don't know where we pick, but I would not bitch about Will Anderson or Myles Murphy. A stout DE on a rookie contract is never a bad idea.

• Beer 1

18 minutes ago, shaqattaq said:

I know it's early and we don't know where we pick, but I would not bitch about Will Anderson or Myles Murphy. A stout DE on a rookie contract is never a bad idea.

Sure...as long as a solid QB isn't there. That is my 'ohh well get one in the 2nd or package the 2s for a late 1st QB' plan B.

Edited by Waldo

1 hour ago, shaqattaq said:

Anderson and Burns together would be the new Reddick/Burns.  Great at pass rushing, but teams will run over us...

• Beer 1