• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How bad does PJ need to play to be removed as starter?

AlphabetsEnd

55 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

Sam and Baker each got 4 years to develop, PJ had 1 start in each of the last 2 years and now has 5. It looks like he's gonna be stuck with the same dangerous throws but it's been worth giving him a few games in a row to see if he can pull it together. We already know Baker and Sam aren't it and won't be back next year unless it's for like $2-5M

Are you seriously saying we didn't already know PJ wasn't it? Jesus Christ.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, AlphabetsEnd said:

That's what's driving me crazy about this (aside from the fact I don't think tanking works (see 30 years as a former Brown's fan). It seems like Wilks is trying to win, or maybe he's tanking, or maybe he can't decide, but it seems like he's not doing either right. 

And yet he’s still done more than Rhule 😂 

The Ravens are going to crush us. With that said PJ is the best QB we have right now. Darnold is just waiting this team out. Baker is terrible and doesn't need to cost us a 4th. We ride and die with PJ. Man I wish Corral would not have gotten hurt. Would have been nice to evaluate him. 

• Pie 1
  • Poo 2

1 hour ago, AlphabetsEnd said:

I'd rather win and take a shot at the playoffs than play for draft position, when the best indicator of QB success is development, not draft position. Likewise, for 2-7th round picks. 

I think you're probably right about it being hard to bench the starter, but Wilks had his chance to not start PJ after one of the worst QB performances in recent history and didn't and could have again last game on his third dropped interception, but didn't.  

He wants to start PJ for other reasons, and none of them are about winning games.

PJ basically has an audition until Baker can't hit total of 70% snaps. After that, Baker becomes MUCH more likely to start.

• Pie 2

He did enough to win. He's probably the best fit for our offense at the moment; run-first, play action, read option. And in a monsoon game, it's not surprising he didn't put up gaudy passing numbers.

The only reason Baker's stats were good last week is by the time he was in the game, the Bengals starters had already decided to leave early to beat traffic.

• Pie 3

33 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

PJ basically has an audition until Baker can't hit total of 70% snaps. After that, Baker becomes MUCH more likely to start.

I've got zero interest in seeing Mayfield in a Panthers uniform again.

We should use the rest of the games to evaluate Darnold behind an actual NFL OLine.

We know Walker is terrible and won't be here next year. 

• Pie 2

12 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

I've got zero interest in seeing Mayfield in a Panthers uniform again.

We should use the rest of the games to evaluate Darnold behind an actual NFL OLine.

We know Walker is terrible and won't be here next year. 

While that would be my preference, I could see Wilks going with Mayfield over Darnold. Hard to be sure though.

7 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

Sam and Baker each got 4 years to develop, PJ had 1 start in each of the last 2 years and now has 5. It looks like he's gonna be stuck with the same dangerous throws but it's been worth giving him a few games in a row to see if he can pull it together. We already know Baker and Sam aren't it and won't be back next year unless it's for like $2-5M

We don’t know what goes on in the locker room. It appears the players like PJ and want him to have a chance. As long as I see the team effort I will go with Wilkes.

8 hours ago, AlphabetsEnd said:

He's a good backup, and a great story, 

No.  He's not.  A good backup takes care of the ball and makes safe decisions.  The very things PJ doesn't do.

Teddy Bridgewater is a good backup.  He doesn't win games, but he doesn't throw them away either.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1