• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Respect to Rivera

WarPanthers89

Ron is a "stabilizer."  He's the guy you hire when your last hire left the place in ashes.  He can bring stability, get the players on the same page, and put things back on the rails.  Fox was the same type.  They are not the guys who are going to get a team to the next level (unless the team is overwhelmingly talented), but they can fix an organization's mess.

Parcells is of that same bent, only he had the ability to get a team to the next level after sweeping up the ashes.

As long as there are coaching disasters that leave teams a complete mess, there will be a need for coaches like Rivera.  Think Denver after the McDaniels' reign of terror.  They are like calling ServPro: they aren't going to turn your house into some dream home, but they will clean up the mess and put it back into the shape it was before the disaster.

And honestly, with the mess in DC, both the way the team was when he took over and the owner thinking he is some sort of mob boss, Rivera is probably the perfect guy to keep the team focused. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

Ron is old school. Like Fox. He will drag a game out and wear teams down. Sometimes it doesn’t end up in his favor and sometimes it does. 

Ron even said in his interview after signing with the Redskins that he did not really adjust or scheme. Meaning there is no creativity or exposing mismatches. He lines up 1v1 and hopes he’s coached his guys to win the matchup. Sometimes he does not. It’s almost identical mindset to Fox.

I think Cam had more to do with 2015 than anything. With the right roster Ron’s coaching will work. It will never been so consistent though. Ron is a decent coach but he will always be mediocre. If this was the early to late 90s, he’d probably have a couple rings by now. 

Edited by onmyown
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, CRA said:

Cam wouldn't have been successful with all 31 other franchises.  I doubt Cam would have seen the success he had with the overwhelming majority of them.  The Ron and Cam marriage worked.   Ron gets some credit there...but people here give him none. 

Ron is a good coach.  He just wasn't a great one.   And I said it when he left, it's easier to do worse than Ron.  Hard to do better. 

Ron is showing who he really is up in DC. He was lucky to have Cam and Luke. Their marriage almost worked but it was a failure in the end unfortunately. I really don't know how many teams Cam would have worked with but he was a stud and I can't imagine anyone using him worse than how Ron did and he still lasted years longer than any normal human should have. Ron gets negative credit for Cam and what he did, once Cam was gone we have all seen who he is and it's very mediocre. 

Ron is a mediocre coach who has big positives and big negatives. Great person, great DC and mediocre HC. The breakdown of his records and the situations in each place back that up. 

Just now, Waldo said:

Ron is showing who he really is up in DC. He was lucky to have Cam and Luke. Their marriage almost worked but it was a failure in the end unfortunately. I really don't know how many teams Cam would have worked with but he was a stud and I can't imagine anyone using him worse than how Ron did and he still lasted years longer than any normal human should have. Ron gets negative credit for Cam and what he did, once Cam was gone we have all seen who he is and it's very mediocre. 

Ron is a mediocre coach who has big positives and big negatives. Great person, great DC and mediocre HC. The breakdown of his records and the situations in each place back that up. 

Ron used Cam exactly how he should of been used.  Panthers simply should of added better players around him IMO.   That's always been my take.  And using Cam how we did was always my condition if we drafted him.  Let Cam be special.  Ron allowed it.  Few coaches would have. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

Man. I lost my mom to lung cancer in April and I was absolutely BROKEN. Still am tbh. I miss her so damn much! I don't know how he continues coaching after everything's he's been through, because after I lost my mom all I could muster up was sitting in the yard chair for like 3 months. He's a good dude no doubt. Wish him nothing but the best. Life is fuggin hard.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 6

Respect for Ron as a human being and he is a likeable guy my sympathies go out to him for his loss and the personal turmoil he has been through. As far as his coaching record with our franchise some contrarians here are engaging in a heavy helping of revisionist history. Ron Rivera with his penchant for a comical level of unwillingness to adapt and playing favorites with players like Sione Fua would have been fired as the coach of the Carolina Panthers by year three if he had not stumbled into Cameron Jerrell Newton.

• Beer 2

I always felt like Rivera's teams have a gritty toughness, even if they're not always "skilled" as some other teams. I know many wanted him gone, but as the saying goes - and as we found out - "be careful what you wish for".

Hopefully we'll be able to sort out the head coaching spot with the right guy this time. I hate comparing ourselves to the Steelers because there's always been a bit of a "little brother" syndrome there, but it would be fantastic to have some long-term continuity like they've enjoyed, continuity that was possible because we're hiring quality coaches.

21 minutes ago, CRA said:

Ron used Cam exactly how he should of been used.  Panthers simply should of added better players around him IMO.   That's always been my take.  And using Cam how we did was always my condition if we drafted him.  Let Cam be special.  Ron allowed it.  Few coaches would have. 

Ron made a lot of bad decisions and then used Cam in the only way he could after backing himself into multiple corners. Cam was always going to be special regardless and I don't really see anything Ron did to help that, lots of hindering but not much help. Thank god Cam had Olsen, Hurney's shining trade. By the time they got CMC Cam had been run into the ground by a desperate and underachieving HC. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

18 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Ron made a lot of bad decisions and then used Cam in the only way he could after backing himself into multiple corners. Cam was always going to be special regardless and I don't really see anything Ron did to help that, lots of hindering but not much help. Thank god Cam had Olsen, Hurney's shining trade. By the time they got CMC Cam had been run into the ground by a desperate and underachieving HC. 

Nah, Cam wouldn’t of been special on a lot of teams.  They wouldn’t of ran him like we did. They wouldn’t of brought in the college scheme. 

GM was a bigger problem than HC IMO.  Ron was a good HC.   Roster around Cam was the biggest sin. 

4 minutes ago, CRA said:

Nah, Cam wouldn’t of been special on a lot of teams.  They wouldn’t of ran him like we did. They wouldn’t of brought in the college scheme. 

GM was a bigger problem than HC IMO.  Ron was a good HC.   Roster around Cam was the biggest sin. 

Ron loved Hurney lol. Ron's best years were with DG, the years that got him over .500. He would have been a stellar HC in the 70s. He is a sub .500 HC without Cam and that is a fact from his time in DC. 

• Pie 1