• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Scott Fowler interview with Matt Rhule ‘fans sealed his fare’

raleigh-panther

11 hours ago, raleigh-panther said:

It was a verbatim, taped Q&A  it wasn’t supposed to be short 

I mean, really, with Rhule, it would never have been short anyway

i give Cam Newton credit.  His exit interview last year told the story. 

Too bad Tepper didn’t listen and by not listening it has cost an additional 3 years of a rebuild that wasn’t needed

I could not stand this putz  from the day he was hired 

my professional bullshit meter pegged him the moment he opened his mouth 

Yeah, just to be fair I wasn't saying the interview was too long. I just did the TLDR for people that you know just don't read full articles.  (If this is your own personal transcript my bad wasn't trying to step on your toes lol) I of course did find it interesting so I read it lol.

Either way, yeah, I just feel like Rhule didn't give away much of anything, playing it close to the chest. But he did give a few explosive gems and questionable statements on the way out mixed in.

• Pie 1

He keeps doubling down on "having more time", but I think he's missing a major point.  Even with a 5 year rebuild plan, you should see SOME improvement by year 3, right? 

The way he talks, its as if he's saying "I expected to suck year 1, suck year 2, suck year 3, suck year 4, THEN by year 5 win a super bowl because it's a 5 year plan."  Delusional that he thinks that was OK.

• Beer 3

39 minutes ago, MickMixon'sMetaphors said:

He keeps doubling down on "having more time", but I think he's missing a major point.  Even with a 5 year rebuild plan, you should see SOME improvement by year 3, right? 

The way he talks, its as if he's saying "I expected to suck year 1, suck year 2, suck year 3, suck year 4, THEN by year 5 win a super bowl because it's a 5 year plan."  Delusional that he thinks that was OK.

He was talking about year 4 during OTA's this past summer. Like really already trying to brace the fans and media for a losing record before training camp even started? There's a handful of guys that have since disappeared on here that were sucking those pressers up though

I'm not a Rhule fan and was always cautiously optimistic after the hiring, but if Tepper gave him such a big contract is it not possible he was actually TOLD he had 4-5 years to get things going?  Tepper coming from watching the Steelers and how they built something long term, it is not that crazy.  It just gives some weight to the big contract to a new coach.  I'm just saying, I think Tepper deserves the same amount of hate if not more than Rhule here.  And it is true about the cap and not keeping some guys or getting some others.  I'm not defending Rhule, he was bad, and he left great players to sit on the bench that could have been in there.  He definitely sucked as a coach in a lot of ways and you can't blame Tepper for not playing Foreman or Bozeman.  But Tepper poo the bed as much as anyone and is hoping we just blame Rhule for it all.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, Zaximus said:

I'm not a Rhule fan and was always cautiously optimistic after the hiring, but if Tepper gave him such a big contract is it not possible he was actually TOLD he had 4-5 years to get things going?  

I doubt he was ever told he had 4-5 years to get things going.  More than likely, Tepper told him he wanted to see the team be a consistent winner in 4-5 years.  But if Matt Rhule thinks that meant he didn't have to show some improvement after a couple of years, he truly is a fool.  Not only did the team not show signs of improvement, it actually seemed worse.  

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

5 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

I doubt he was ever told he had 4-5 years to get things going.  More than likely, Tepper told him he wanted to see the team be a consistent winner in 4-5 years.  But if Matt Rhule thinks that meant he didn't have to show some improvement after a couple of years, he truly is a fool.  Not only did the team not show signs of improvement, it actually seemed worse.  

Biggest indictment to me was watching the team the 1st game under Wilks. They played with more fire and energy than I have seen in a long time. 

1 hour ago, Davidson Deac II said:

He probably wasn’t told that but giving him that contract sure implied that it. Rhule doesn’t have what it takes to win as an NFL coach. A winning NFL head coach has a combination of well above average intelligence while also being a strong leader of men. Rhule is neither of these. 

2 hours ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Exactly. He was fired because the team was actively worse, not because they weren't suddenly winning every game in 2022.

4 hours ago, Zaximus said:

I'm not a Rhule fan and was always cautiously optimistic after the hiring, but if Tepper gave him such a big contract is it not possible he was actually TOLD he had 4-5 years to get things going?  Tepper coming from watching the Steelers and how they built something long term, it is not that crazy.  It just gives some weight to the big contract to a new coach.  I'm just saying, I think Tepper deserves the same amount of hate if not more than Rhule here.  And it is true about the cap and not keeping some guys or getting some others.  I'm not defending Rhule, he was bad, and he left great players to sit on the bench that could have been in there.  He definitely sucked as a coach in a lot of ways and you can't blame Tepper for not playing Foreman or Bozeman.  But Tepper poo the bed as much as anyone and is hoping we just blame Rhule for it all.

It's possible. Honestly, it's consistent with some of Tepper's own public statements.

And yes, Tepper absolutely deserves whatever he gets.

8 hours ago, Zaximus said:

You still have to show progress, not go backwards