• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Can Tepper find anyone better than Wilks?

Saca312

4 hours ago, CPantherKing said:

Tepper had this move in play with Wilks from the start. He wanted Wilks under Snow and in place for a change. Wilks was not picked by Rhule or Snow. This is a long play on attracting Byron Leftwich to reunite with Wilks. Leftwich becomes the HC. Wilks stays on as Leftwich's choice for DC.

Ah yes, the man who orchestrated a attack that put up a whopping 7 points on the 49ers, and has a losing record with TB12 as his QB.

Surely this man deserves to be a HC.

• Pie 4
  • Flames 1

4 hours ago, Silent Majority said:

I don't  want a great offensive or defensive mind as a head coach. I want a leader of men who knows and understands football and who does not have an ego when it comes to his colleagues.  I want an offensive genius for an OC and a defensive genius for a DC. They can manage and micro manage as much as they'd like. A HC DOES NOT have that luxury

So you want to groom Head Coaches for other teams 

12 hours ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

After calling Marty Hurney a genius and giving Rhule a 7 year contract w/full control, does anyone in their right mind want Tepper leading another search? 

If Wilks wins the NFCS he deserves a shot as HC.  

If he lands one game out of winning it he deserves a shot. 

• Pie 1

12 hours ago, mav1234 said:

Plenty of games left in the season. He's what, .500?

With QBs that are totally bottom tier

WRs that are lower tier 

an OC that’s a totally dumpster fire 

he knows this  

As I said in October, to not look like a total dumpster fire, do the one thing that offense can do, run

he has taken an abysmal poker, chicken poo hand and is making chicken salad

That .500 with this team is a god damned miracle 

• Beer 2

I still favor DeMeco Ryans for HC, but I would not be opposed to Wilks in the slightest. He has the team playing hard and can lead a group of men to hell and come out on the other side of it. 

The main thing would be to get the OC and QB coach hires right. We still need a QB and I want whoever is the next HC to have a plan in place to find that guy. 

13 hours ago, uncfan888 said:

Wilks at coach and Reich at OC. 

Buyer beware:  Reich as an OC has exactly one season of success:  2017 with the Eagles when Carson Wentz played out of his mind.  His other three seasons as an OC his teams ranked 17, 26, 16 in scoring offense.

10 hours ago, Gerry Green said:

That why we create the OC Apprenticeship Program. The apprentice learns the O with the understanding the when the present OC leaves, he's the man. Then he hires his own apprentice. Rinse and repeat. We would never run out of OCs. lol

There always has to be a line of succession for coordinators.  Anybody as either an OC or DC that hits home runs is going to be interviewed and probably get offers, unless they are the north end of a southbound horse like Josh McDaniels.  And even he was in the mix.

Good teams do exactly that.  They are usually doing it to groom their next HC when the current one retires or moves on, but teams with upper-echelon coaching staffs can never pat themselves on the back and think "job done."  It may be done today, but come January or when they are making their tee times for the offseason......

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

The team seems to be making their opinion of Wilks known on the field, if not in the media.

There's a lot to say for a coach when it is obvious the team will go to war for him. Still, let's ride this season out and see what we have.

There is a chance that at the end, we may be competing with another team for Wilks as HC. We would be foolish to rule that out at this point.

The only thing that would concern me is falling into a trap IF we land a great OC, they leave for a HC gig shortly after. So maybe the approach is paying a guy like Reich a lot & giving him an AHC title.  Doing what we need to for landing & keeping a solid OC for a few years.

But then stepping back, I honestly think that makes more sense for Wilks as a DC/AHC with a guy like Steichen or B. Johnson leading the charge.  It would just be in our benefit to find a guy with a juggernaut offense vision long term but totally see it's in our benefit to keep Wilks in the building.  Could be a unique situation either way.