• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Wilks' word vs. Rhule's

Icege

Though I wonder about some of Wilks coaching decisions on the field. His game plan and locker room coaching is pro. I would not mind giving him a two year contract to see what he can do with an actual full coaching staff. I am not sold on McAdoo though. 

Edited by Harbingers
  • Pie 3

10 minutes ago, Icege said:

.While this has been a constant throughout his career, what do y'all think might have happened behind closed doors with Rhule and the locker room that resulted in Wilks' honesty being so refreshing and appreciated? 

Joe Brady would probably have some input on this.

• Pie 3
  • Flames 1

14 minutes ago, CarolinaLivin said:

No one is questioning his leadership. That trait is the main reason he is the interim coach. The question is how well of an offense can we realistically have under wilks.

Biggest difference between the 2 coaches that I can see is that Wilkes uses what he has and Rhule was to proud to change HIS plan to fit the players on the field. Case and point: Darnold is a mediocre QB, at best, so Wilkes brings in 2 extra linemen and runs the ball down their throat. Not even Darnold can screw up handoffs and checkdowns.

• Pie 1

52 minutes ago, Panthera onca said:

The players knew Rhule was a BS artist and didn't respect him or take him seriously. They obviously respect Coach Wilks and will play hard for the man.

This. 

Rhule was nothing but words.  He preached about how The Process would lead the team to great things, even though that same process had never been tested at the NFL level.  When it didn't work, "it will if we just keep doing it."  That wears out pretty quickly at the pro level.  At the college level, the players are inexperienced enough to buy it long enough for their college careers to end before they figure it out.

Wilks talks about tangible things that need to be done, all of which have been time tested in the NFL for decades.  These are things that the veterans aren't going to say they have never, ever seen or heard of at the NFL level.  He also does not promise great things "if you just drink the Kool-Aid." 

One of those paths leads to credibility, the other leads to lack thereof.  

Then there is the whole discussion of progress you can't see.  In the NFL, almost all progress can be seen somewhere.  It may be going from being curb-stomped to being competitive in losses, but it is there.  You can't cite unseen progress when the results are going in the opposite direction.

Under Wilks, the team has shown more results (progress) in seven games than they showed in 2+ seasons under The Process.  Part of that is probably that he treats them like professionals, not mere disciples.

• Beer 3

I think Wilks is a fine football coach.  But I still contend he is Ron Rivera all over again.   

I just don't think he can lead a present day NFL team to really contend in this offensive era.  To naturally risk adverse.  And when he does "mix it up"......it stuff like we saw on Sunday with 4 pass plays from the 4.   That's not good offensive game management. 

• Pie 2

9 minutes ago, CRA said:

I think Wilks is a fine football coach.  But I still contend he is Ron Rivera all over again.   

Rivera team would have laid an egg after a bye week. Wilks had his team ready to go and win a tough road game against a good team. They’re not the same.

He can’t open up the pass game until two things happen:

1. He has an OC who has a better passing scheme while still being a running team

2. he has a QB who can make downfield throws consistently and not turn the ball over

Edited by NAS
  • Pie 1