• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Draft a QB or Re-Up with Darnold?

bLACKpANTHER

We make the playoffs & are picking no higher than #18... WYD?  

100 members have voted

1. 1. We make the playoffs & are picking no higher than #18... WYD?

• Trade Up in Draft to get a Top 4 QB
    • Draft a lower ranked QB
    • Pass on young QBs, re-sign Darnold & address other needs (DE, TE, WR)
    • Pass on young QBs, sign FA QB (Lamar, Brady, Jimmy G, Daniel Jones, Geno)

1 hour ago, Khyber53 said:

How about pick the best DE, DT or TE available at our pick, give Corral a chance to actually play in a game, and if Darnold continues to improve offer him a back-up QB spot/interim position if another vet QB with decent back up capabilities isn't available at a reasonable price.

Our need is definitely at TE to help the offense or some extra d-line pressure on defense right now. If we can improve those spots while keeping our O-line strong, then you can actually give a young QB or a journeyman one a shot at winning for the team.

This idea that you have to draft a QB in the first round in our situation is short sighted and narrow of focus. There aren't any real deal, set in stone, sure thing QBs available right now, so why potentially waste the pick when we can build a stronger team overall in the process?

Ryan Gosling Clap GIF

They can't see that Darnold actually living up to his potential would be a good thing to keep around. 

The QB competition in camp would rightfully be between Sam and Matt like dummy Rhule should have done this training camp.

Instead virtual reps for Corral and the lions share for a guy not on the team anymore.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Bear Hands said:

Let's get our priorities straight:

• Hire Shane Steichen
  • Retain Wilks as a DC & Assistant Head Coach
  • Retain Campen & Tabor

I think people have to let go of this idea of Wilks staying on under a new coach. The players are so bought into Wilks, the only options are make him the HC or let him walk.

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, trueblade said:

Ask me again after the season. Darnold looked good for about three weeks last year. Let's see if he can make it four weeks (or even five if we make the playoffs.)

I just have this feeling that being benched and questioned has lit a fire under Sam's ars.

Watching him in camp, fan fest, last couple games he looks like a veteran. He's making better decisions, understanding his strengths and limitations.

He's not making the same mistakes it looks like to me that the game has slowed down for him, or maybe this is actually the best offensive line he's ever played with.

• Beer 2

At some point we are going to have to take a shot at a QB in the draft. I don’t see why this year wouldn’t be the year to do it. Have the new coaching staff pick their guy, whether we trade up for him or not. This roster is ready to win NOW. 

Darnold is serviceable but let’s be real.  You need your QB to win you games sometimes, and Darnold has shown he can’t win without everything else going perfectly. 

• Pie 2
  • Poo 1

2 hours ago, bLACKpANTHER said:

So in this scenario - we make the playoffs and are drafting no higher than #18 and will be missing out on the Top 4 QBs - Bryce, CJ Stroud, Will Levis and Anthony Richardson.. 

What would you do?

It’s really far too early to decide 

much depends on 

1. Who the OC is.
2. What system is run.

3. How Darnold does these last 4 games 

4. Free agency and the cap

5.  and finally Darnold’ himself ..who isn’t to say he wouldn’t want to return back to the West Coast  

in my mind Darnold is, unfortunately a backup, as he just can’t process quick enough 

even during the Seattle game, he came very close to two interceptions, one, in the red zone when under pressure and the other throwing into double coverage 

it’s really a shame but he just can’t do those reads quick enough for the nfl. 

folks on this board also act like trading up for a qb that they really like is out of the question

I suspect that once the combine happens, AR is going to go way up on his potential alone 

The Panthers need an upgrade at WR, TE, DT, Edge, and depth throughout 

it really depends on who the HC is 

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

You guys realize Darnold just won that game throwing for a grand total of 24 attempts, several of those were throw the ball away downs, and you could count the number of times he even attempted to throw farther than say 10 yards on one hand, right?

Everyone take a deep breathe, focus, and try to wrap your head around the fact the only thing this game told us about Darnold is that if he's asked to throw very few times on very short routes with a very effective run game, he seems capable of not turning it over.

With a one game sample size against a bad defense.

That is all.

If we retain Wilks, that's all a QB has to do. He would ask the same out of Patrick Mahommes.

14 minutes ago, SteveSmithTD89 said:

How far up are we trading? If we stick at 18 and one of the top 2 end up falling outside the top 10 I am on the phone trying to move up. I'm not trading several years of 1sts for Richardson or Levis. I would seriously consider taking either of them at 18 without trading up though (Richardson more than Levis)

Houston will definitely take one of the top two, and I think Indy will do whatever it takes to take the other.

The draft occurs after Free Agency, and it would be malpractice to not sign someone before the draft.  My guess is Darnold, for 4-5 mil.  Minshew or Heinecke are interesting if they are not re-signed.  The pickings are extremely slim.

No way I expend draft capital to move up. The only other teams I think that will burn a first round pick on a QB are TB and Atl (who already has Ridder).

I think Richardson or Levis will be there when it is our turn.

Just now, kungfoodude said:

There are no logical scenarios where it makes sense to re-sign him. Maybe vet minimum 1 year deal as a backup but that is also a stretch with a new coordinator.

You just gave me a logical scenario to re-sign him after you said there are no logical scenarios to re-sign him. I think people are mistaking my position that I'm advocating for it to happen. All I'm saying is that if it does happen, it could make sense, depending on the context.

4 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

There are no logical scenarios where it makes sense to re-sign him. Maybe vet minimum 1 year deal as a backup but that is also a stretch with a new coordinator.

This guy gets it.  I dont see how anyone can honestly say with a straight face that Darnold should come back under any scenario.   vet minimum or not.  I guess I have watched a different qb the past couple of games then some of you guys.  Darnold fuging sucks

Some dumbass team like the cardinals or redskins are going to way overpay for him IMO

• Pie 2
  • Poo 1

4 minutes ago, grimesgoat said:

Houston will definitely take one of the top two, and I think Indy will do whatever it takes to take the other.

The draft occurs after Free Agency, and it would be malpractice to not sign someone before the draft.  My guess is Darnold, for 4-5 mil.  Minshew or Heinecke are interesting if they are not re-signed.  The pickings are extremely slim.

No way I expend draft capital to move up. The only other teams I think that will burn a first round pick on a QB are TB and Atl (who already has Ridder).

I think Richardson or Levis will be there when it is our turn.

I agree Houston takes 1. But who knows with Indy. They could see themselves as ready to compete and rather throw money at Jimmy G instead of a QB because they don't like Stroud/Young. 

This class definitely doesn't seem as strong as last year's and I would not be surprised to see only those 2 QBs go round 1 and a repeat of last year's draft where the QBs kind of free fall a bit. 

I do think resigning darnold for anywhere from 5-8 mil or whatever the veteran market looks like is the right play if we miss out on Lamar. Absolutely can not go into draft night with only MC9 on the roster.

• Pie 1

Just now, SteveSmithTD89 said:

I agree Houston takes 1. But who knows with Indy. They could see themselves as ready to compete and rather throw money at Jimmy G instead of a QB because they don't like Stroud/Young. 

This class definitely doesn't seem as strong as last year's and I would not be surprised to see only those 2 QBs go round 1 and a repeat of last year's draft where the QBs kind of free fall a bit. 

I do think resigning darnold for anywhere from 5-8 mil or whatever the veteran market looks like is the right play if we miss out on Lamar. Absolutely can not go into draft night with only MC9 on the roster.

this class is infinitely stronger then lasts year crop of qbs