• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Alternative options for head coach

Mr. Scot

To really evaluate Wilks versus the field, you would need to know what kind of offensive system he wants to run. You can run power O from almost any system. If I recall, we ran Coryell during Cam's heyday (when Wilks was on the staff). Wilks did have a Coryell guy in McCoy in Arizona but there have been suggestions that wasn't his first choice.

Knowing what kind of offense Wilks wants to run would go a long way to determine who he might want for OC as well as what kind of QB he wants.

Edited by trueblade

53 minutes ago, stirs said:

If we go 8-9, Wilks has to get the job.  He will have earned it.

Trade down

Pick up a TE, QB(to sit and learn), WR, DE, LB and RB in draft.

Raiders last year shows it doesn’t matter how well you team does you have a long shot of becoming HC even if you make the playoffs. 
Wilks may earn it but that doesn’t mean he gets it. 
Personally I am sick of defensive head coaches. 

2 minutes ago, Thompcat said:

Do you think if Wilkes is retained that Reich as OC would be a possibility? The good thing about that would be Reich is older and has connections to NC, so maybe he would stay on for awhile. This versus Wilkes hiring a young up and coming guy continously. Just a thought. 

Too hard of a question to answer. We don't know who Wilks is close to nor do we know if Reich wants a role like that(or with us).

20 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

MARVIN LEWIS!!  That entire list pisses me off... Where is Dan Graziano right now so I can drive there and slap him???

Frazier, Lewis and Quinn are all defensive guys. So, I guess the question would be are they actually better than Wilks? 

I understand the yo-yo reaction to hiring an experienced guy. I get that and don't disagree.

Someone with an offensive mind.  I like Wilks and he's done a good job taking over for Rhule but I just don't feel his type of football at a HC level gets you to the next level.  If you are trying to stabilize only then he's a good choice, same kind of coach Fox was and Rivera is.

• Pie 1

I think the job is Wilks' to lose, depending on the results down the stretch AND how he answers some questions in his interview.  Those questions include who would be on his staff if he is the HC (could be names or descriptions), how he would prefer his offense to evolve, and what he sees as the positions of need.

If his answers include that his preferred offense is something Buddy Ryan would be proud of and all his positions of need are on defense, then all bets are off.

If the Panthers finish 2-2 or better down the stretch and don't embarrass themselves in the losses, not giving Wilks the job will be a tough sell.  The guy took over a team that he had no choice in the roster of, no QBs who looked like NFL backups, let alone starters, no choice in who he inherited as coaches, and in general clusterf*#k mode and rolling 6-6 and making some substantive changes in both coaches and players despite his interim status is about the best anybody could have hoped for.

I also think Tepper will be inclined to "shoot safe" after making himself look like a fool the first time around, not only with the pick but with the contract.  There may have also been some gentleman's agreement with Wilks from day one, should The Process need to be terminated (or maybe it was when, not if). 

But, replacing Wilks with a guy who is similar to him is probably a non-starter.  If he is going to be replaced (assuming we finish well), it better be with somebody good. 

I'm not saying I am for or against giving Wilks the job, but there are a lot of things rolling in his direction. 

• Pie 1

26 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

I think the job is Wilks' to lose, depending on the results down the stretch AND how he answers some questions in his interview.  Those questions include who would be on his staff if he is the HC (could be names or descriptions), how he would prefer his offense to evolve, and what he sees as the positions of need.

If his answers include that his preferred offense is something Buddy Ryan would be proud of and all his positions of need are on defense, then all bets are off.

If the Panthers finish 2-2 or better down the stretch and don't embarrass themselves in the losses, not giving Wilks the job will be a tough sell.  The guy took over a team that he had no choice in the roster of, no QBs who looked like NFL backups, let alone starters, no choice in who he inherited as coaches, and in general clusterf*#k mode and rolling 6-6 and making some substantive changes in both coaches and players despite his interim status is about the best anybody could have hoped for.

I also think Tepper will be inclined to "shoot safe" after making himself look like a fool the first time around, not only with the pick but with the contract.  There may have also been some gentleman's agreement with Wilks from day one, should The Process need to be terminated (or maybe it was when, not if). 

But, replacing Wilks with a guy who is similar to him is probably a non-starter.  If he is going to be replaced (assuming we finish well), it better be with somebody good. 

I'm not saying I am for or against giving Wilks the job, but there are a lot of things rolling in his direction. 

I am still at this point.  No matter how we finish, good or bad, I desperately want Tepper to bring in a kevin colbert type consultant (if not the man himself) to totally assess this franchise and give a recommendation for a HC coach and staff.  If its wilks then so be it but I truly hope Tepper doesnt get caught up in the emotion of beating a few poo teams and make another rash decision.  We need to modernize our offense to compliment our d.   If wilks insists on the archaic ground and pound then we have to look elsewhere.  Its just that simple.

• Beer 1

3 hours ago, Purrnicious said:

I'd Take Jim Harbaugh or Sean Payton over Wilks maybe, but that's about it. 

Neither of those is happening.

3 hours ago, B_Eazi said:

Per ESPN's Dan Graziano, Tepper wants to hire someone with previous head-coaching experience and has a list of candidates that includes Sean Payton, Leslie Frazier, Marvin Lewis, Frank Reich and Dan Quinn.

That was reported previously but later superceded by a report that he's seen how the league is trending and wants a young offensive mind instead.

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I very seriously doubt Tepper is going to make another ground breaking wild splash with his next head coach move after the last one blew up in his face and made him look like a total clown. If we win the division it's gonna be Wilks. It's the quiet, safe move and the media will heap praise on him for hiring a minority candidate who got screwed over in his first HC gig.

OTOH a splashy big time name hire is about the only way he can get away with shunning Wilkes for another candidate, at this point.

Sort of depends on how we finish but short of a meltdown Wilkes is looking strong. You don’t go with the flow there and instead try to force a new fancy young offensive type, you are going to be crucified at least at first. 
A huge name is about the only way out. 

4 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Is there a college coach out there who is winning a lot of games at a mid-tier program but can't beat any ranked teams and whose coaching basically boils down to being a high school motivational speaker type? Because that's probably our guy.

Mack Brown?

4 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

So we've asked a generic question about Wilks versus whomever this morning, but I think it would be helpful to better define the "whomever".

If not Wilks, then who do we see as viable alternative candidates?

A couple of names I would start out with...

- Shane Steichen
- Frank Reich 
- Ben Johnson
- Shane Waldron
- Demeco Ryans 

(not necessarily all my preferred choices but viable options nonetheless)

What are the arguments for choosing one of these guys...or someone else?

If Wilks continue on the same course I would take him over those.  If he flops (I don't anticipate that) then Reich.